Former President Bush meets troops returning at DFW

Discussion in 'US' started by Travelgall, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know whether the American contingent has seen this.

YouTube - President George W Bush Greeting Troops at DFW

Bearing in mind what has happened to another thread I put up. This is just about his actions here, which seem a decent thing to do IMHO, not an invite for a wider critique of the Bush Presidency. Any thoughts?
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The guys looked pleased so its a good thing. I'm not sure it would work here. Can anyone imagine being greeted at Brize by the grinning spiv or the oaf Brown. That said Mrs BA was impressed when Blair turned up in Bastion in 2009 which got no publicity.
  3. BA. It would do if our head of state turned up which thankfully has never been G Brown MP- the Queen shaking hands with everybody after they've got off the Tristar at Brize. Better yet Wills & Harry with a couple of chests of beers. Yeah the US lads look pleased. I think George is putting Challenge Coins in their hands, but he's not bringing attention to it.

Jeez, MRS BA was in a camp with a gun and Blair at the same place at the same time. I admire her restraint.
  4. A decent thing by a decent man. When he was President, on many evenings, and intentionally with no press coverage, he would go to either Walter Reed Army Hospital or Bethesda Naval Hospital to visit with wounded soldiers/sailors/marines. He did not want a media event, just to meet men he respected and cared for. No press photos but he did sometimes bring a White House photographer to take pictures so the wounded soldiers would have a memento of the visit.
  5. BuggerAll

Mrs BA's gat would have been safely locked up in the armskote (Is that how its spelt?). Doubtlessly there were other heavily armed bods around none of who did the decent thing. Mrs BA did have access to plenty of surgical sharps so I suppose she could have castrated him but I suspect Cherie did that a long time ago and as I said Mrs BA was actually quite impressed.

I was impressed that there was no publicity for the visit. He just turned up said nice things to people, made them feel valued and left. (Shudder!)
  6. GWB had his faults but I believe his treatment of the troops is genuine--a rare quality in any politician.
  7. One of my friends was at Walter Reed long term (3years) recovering and met him several times, was invited to the White House, and eventually when the medical board met to decide his fate and were recommending discharge they recieved a letter to the board from GWB asking to give Sgt. M a full medical pension if possible. He recieved it.
  8. Now THAT would be quite a hard challenge to beat!
  9. BuggerAll

HMQ Coin.jpg I see your bush and raise you HMQE2
  10. But is She giving them out like GWB?
  11. The Governator is the same way. He's allocated a certain amount of hours free of the cameras per week and often spends them at a hospital visiting CalGuardsmen.

Yep. Pres, I think VP has one, SecDef should... I've a Joint Chiefs one.