Former Powell Aide: Bush Policy Is Run by Cabal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Oct 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr. Wilkerson, a retired Army colonel and former director of the Marine Corps War College, said that in his years in or close to government, he had seen its national security apparatus twisted in many ways. But what he saw in Mr. Bush's first term "was a case that I have never seen in my studies of aberration, bastardizations" and "perturbations."

Former Powell Aide said also

I ask our American friends. Is it right time to say that USA is a great country but current leadership is not the best possible?
  2. Sorry, Sergey. While I agree with you, this just isn't news to anyone that's been watching what's been going on for the last 4 1/2 years. Anyone who has worked in US foreign policy can tell you the same thing. There have been countless books, journal and magazine articles and documentaries that have said as much already.

It's basically been a Regency set-up ever since a group of fellows at the Hoover Institute at Stanford University in the late 1990s started to shop for a candidate who could be a blank slate for them.
  3. In turn I agree with you. But few points attracted my attention.

1. The man is a Soldier. He is not egg-headed reseacher or journalist. So many here would at least respect his opinion.

2. Usage of word 'cabal' has anti-Semitic undertext. Why such a neutral word as 'plot' hasn't been used?

3. I don't know about other ctitical estimates of this degree sounded by high ranked former American official.
  4. Isn't a cabal, someone who eats someone else? didn't realise human flesh was Koscher! Roast Taleban anyone?
  5. Sergey,
    Reference your point 2 above;
    CABAL: The term took on its present insidious meaning from a group of ministers of King Charles II of England (Sir Thomas Clifford, Lord Arlington, the Duke of Buckingham, Lord Ashley, and Lord Lauderdale), whose initial letters coincidentally spelled Cabal, and who were the signers of the public Treaty of Dover which allied England to France in a prospective war against the Dutch. Lets leave the anti-semitic thing alone, unless you want to play some sort of word association game with Kabbalah?
  6. Thank you Rickshaw for clarification.

As not native Engilsh-speaker I'm unable to feel thin shades of meaning. But at least possible game of words gives food for suggestions.

I suppose that noble Lords mentioned by you simply used the fact that initial letter of their surnames could form well known (to that time) word.
  7. Sergey,
    Delighted to oblige.
  8. Sergey,
    You might well be right, but naturally we Brits claim this for ourselves and damn anybody else who does - its the same sort of mindset that coloured the major part of the world the right shade of red in the C19th :)
  9. Rickshaw! You Brits have so many inventions, scientists, great warriors as Lord Nelson.

I congratulate you with 200th anniversary of Trafalgar victory.
  10. Sergey,
    Whilst avoiding the temptation of entering into an Anglo-Russian back-slapping mutual admiration society, what more can I say in acknowledgement of your best wishes to us, than to reciprocate by applauding the nation that gave me the spirit to bring tears to my eyes and the music that is the justification!
  11. How about Bush's first Treasury Secretary, Paul O'Neill? Do you remember Ron Suskind's book, "The Price of Loyalty" that came out over two years ago? I think my Treasury Secretary trumps your Colonel. Then there's Richard A. Clarke (Chairman of the Counter-Terrorist Security Group of the National Security Council from 1992-2003) who wrote the book "Against All Enemies".

How about Bob Woodward who, on the basis of the glowing account he wrote in "Bush at War" (re: Afghanistan), was given unprecedented access to the White House and then came out with the polar opposite that was "Plan of Attack" (re: Iraq)? Then there's also "The Rise of the Vulcans" by James Mann and "America Unbound" by Ivo Daalder and James Linsday (both members of the NSC under Clinton).

The list goes on and on...
  12. You are right, I surrender.
  13. In the context of this particular group of people, the term "Cluster-F*ck" may be used as a synonym for cabal.
  14. There is an element inside the State Department and CIA that have their own agenda. Rice went to State to clean it up just as Porter Goss is doing over at CIA. Colonel Wilkinson probably has forgotten that its the President that sets the foreign policy and not the snobs in Foggy Bottom.
  15. Foggy Bottom? Someone's been listening to Pat Robertson! Naughty, naughty!