Former Para to be deported from russia

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by theoriginalphantom, Apr 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

A British explorer who has spent the last seven-and-a-half years walking around the world has been fined and is to be expelled from Russia.

Former paratrooper Karl Bushby, 36, from Hull, was tried by a court for entering Russia without paperwork.

Mr Bushby and fellow explorer Dimitri Kieffer arrived near the unauthorised entry point of Uelen on 2 April having crossed the Bering Strait from Alaska.

His father Keith said the court had "knocked his legs away from under him".

He said given his son's route, entering Russia at an unauthorised point had been their only option. They had tried to speak to the relevant authorities to no avail ahead of the "window" to cross the frozen strait.

"He's just shocked. I don't think it's really sunk it yet," he said.

Appeal plans

Although the two had valid business visas they were accused of not completing proper formalities on arrival.

Mr Bushby and American Dimitri Kieffer were later detained by border guards and moved to the village of Lavrentiya.

They have 10 days to lodge an appeal.

Mr Bushby entered Russia during his 12-year record-breaking bid to walk around the world, known as the Goliath expedition.

He hopes to arrive home in four years.

The pair are staying with a local priest in Lavrentiya, about 500 miles north-east of the Chukota provincial capital, Anadyr, but have been told they must not leave the village.
  2. fcuking Russian Jobsworth ! i would have thought Putin might have sorted it out given the publicity
  3. If you go to the arrsehole of the world, don't be so shocked that you have to deal with arrseholes.
  4. If I understood correctly, he entered the country without the proper paperwork and at an unauthorized entry point. What did he expect? Just because they didn't meet his timeline gave him a right to appear whereever and whenever he wanted.

And yeah, there's nothing like dealing with a Russian border official, the males are all a-holes but the women can be charmed. One female searched my bags as I left and found ten cans of caviar I was bringing home as gifts. I gave her some line that they were for my girlfriend who was almost as pretty as her. She just smiled at my attempt and let take them.
  5. I was talking about the Russian border officials. No that's not fair, poor bloke walks all that way and thinks you can just walk in as if it's downtown Crawley or he's crossing to the Isle of Wight. Still not sure who the arrseholes are as long as it's not me.
  6. Was he not carrying an international visa that comes in denominations of 1,5,10,20,50,100 etc?!

A border post out in the sticks, couldn't he of "bought" one at a massively inflated price?
  7. Radio Echo of Moscow reports that today the court fined the pair (2000 Roubles = 40 Pounds). They will be extradicted from Russia.

Prominent Russian lawyer Pavel Astakhov (well-known in Russia) said that the verdict is fair (indeed the law was violated) but the travellers could repeat their trip (using right route) because their visas were not discarded.

The travellers had exellent navigational equipment, maps. It is a very hard task to miss the right route in this situation. Is it possible that they were asked 'to make a mistake' to check Russian border guards? It is possible.

Can you imagine this conversation in Alaska:

- Guys, can you go this way? We are intersting how this area is guarded. Who could suspect anything wrong?
    - Why not?
  8. Common sense prevails, not something usually found within the border of Russia.
  9. To give you an idea of the kind of mindset that led to the original deportation order - the local judge in Lavrentiya specified a fine of "two thousand Soviet roubles" [sic].

Even if it's only a slip of the tongue, it's pretty telling.