Former Para Reg to 3CB reserves (383 Commando)

skymacuk

Old-Salt
I had an oppo who had passed TA Selection and done a couple of years with 21, moved to the west country before there was an Exeter det and joined the RMR, no shortcut for him, he was expected to do AACC.

Odd bloke, ended up as a Regular RAF Int officer.

I'm playing devils advocate here, i wonder what would happen if a bloke did UKSF selection and joined the SBS ( regular or reserve ) then he left for a couple of years and decided torejoin and go to a commando unit, would they expect him to do AACC ?

I'm playing devils advocate here, i wonder what would happen if a bloke did UKSF selection and joined the SBS ( regular or reserve ) then he left for a couple of years and decided torejoin and go to a commando unit, would they expect him to do AACC ?

Most definitely, I would venture.

Why wouldn't they want to?

Intheshed

Clanker
SF skill sets being somewhat different to those of 'normal' Commando units, I would suggest it would be advisable. Bear Grylls being the obvious discrepancy!

QRK2

LE
Most definitely, I would venture.

Why wouldn't they want to?

There are only two a year and if (s)he's SBS(R) they've earned the headdress (and are on RM strength) so I suspect not. Doesn't change the case for some buckshee pongo though, whatever the shape of his wings. ;-)

I'm sure I've spun this one before but some time ago the then CO Artists (SB background) was giving a end of course speech to a course I'd DS'd on at another unit. His RSM (ex Para Reg) was also there and was mightily unimpressed that (a) he chose to wear his (SAS) capbadge on a green beret and (b) His speech revolved around said headdress.

Last edited:
There are only two a year and if (s)he's SBS(R) they've earned the headdress (and are on RM strength) so I suspect not. Doesn't change the case for some buckshee pongo though, whatever the shape of his wings. ;-)

I'm sure I've spun this one before but some time ago the then CO Artists (SB background) was giving a end of course speech to a course I'd DS'd on at another unit. His RSM (ex Para Reg) was also there and was mightily unimpressed that (a) he chose to wear his (SAS) capbadge on a green beret and (b) His speech revolved around said headdress.

Interesting. I’ve been told - pretty firmly - that COs of that (and it’s opposite Unit) wear their ”proper” headdress - i.e. SB keep on wearing SB etc. They certainly don’t transfer Services to Command.

Intheshed

Clanker

Am I right in remembering he was there before SBS got their own cap badge? In the early nineties there was definitely a slight degree of miffedness going on in Poole because the Shakies 'only' got to wear normal para wings.

QRK2

LE
Interesting. I’ve been told - pretty firmly - that COs of that (and it’s opposite Unit) wear their ”proper” headdress - i.e. SB keep on wearing SB etc. They certainly don’t transfer Services to Command.

To be fair this was a little while ago, in fact it may have been before SB had their own capbadge. CBA to check the exact dates.

ETA: I know you are RN but you seem to be displaying a rather naïve view of Land Forces willingness to obey direction on clothing.

Last edited:

QRK2

LE
Am I right in remembering he was there before SBS got their own cap badge? In the early nineties there was definitely a slight degree of miffedness going on in Poole because the Shakies 'only' got to wear normal para wings.

As I said above CBA to check when their badge changed, I do recall he was wearing a 'SBS' rank slide though, the parade was not long after the beginning of this century (I think he was before the RAF chap). It was notable for the crease where the bottom had obviously been folded in to cover the letters in the past, something I've only seen otherwise on ACF 'officers' :).

Last edited:

QRK2

LE
Thank Christ! Back to the original point of the thread....and I was so dangerously close to biting at the mention of QRK2's 'RAF chap'.

I'm not sure why you should, I was lucky enough to have had PSIs who started their careers all over, whilst they were almost without exception excellent, the RAF and RM ones seemed, shall we say intellectually, a smidgeon above the others.

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that 21 had a CO who came from the RAF?

They've had a fair few Wg Cdrs in Command.

To be fair this was a little while ago, in fact it may have been before SB had their own capbadge. CBA to check the exact dates.

ETA: I know you are RN but you seem to be displaying a rather naïve view of Land Forces willingness to obey direction on clothing.
Royal is pretty pusser's when it comes to rig; probably the impact of DLs everywhere!

QRK2

LE
They've had a fair few Wg Cdrs in Command.

"Fair few", that's a bit strong. Even allowing for the fact that 21/23 are about fourth on any qualified regular's top three.

(IIRC said bootie PVR'd to become head of security for whatever British Gas were called at the time)

Last edited:
"Fair few", that's a bit strong. Even allowing for the fact that 21/23 are about fourth on any qualified regular's top three.

(IIRC said bootie PVR'd to become head of security for whatever British Gas were called at the time)
I've become acquainted with the politics of Command for them - talk about a vipers nest!

Latest Threads