Former para on why he quit the Army after Afg

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Jul 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4364115.ece

2. Unfortunately, the rumour-mill and gossip mongerers will for ever tell you that he left because he didn't get the job he wanted.

I still chuckle at the OJAR he got from his 1RO post tour...just one sentence.

I wish him well in whatever he does, and look forward to him replacing 'Bonking Bob' as the voice of the soldier on TV programmes (various).

Thanks for the link, Hackle.

3. Can't argue with his comment:

Looking back, Tootal is angry at what he describes as “wishful thinking” about the Afghan mission by senior military and politicians. “They weren’t really thinking it through,” he said. “If you read about the battles faced by the Russians in Helmand only 20 years ago, we should have been ready to face that level of opposition. Yes, they were different conflicts, different rationales, but . . . there’s this pattern of tenacious resistance. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be there, but we should have thought more about what we were getting into.

“We confused ourselves – and the public – that this was a peace support mission but that presupposes parties signing up to a peace deal. The Taliban had signed up to nothing. This was counterinsurgency.”

I hope that average civvy reader who reads the article will pick up on the sheer amount of ammo expended during the six month tour and do the math.

4. Welcome, Proximo.

People leave for all sorts of reasons. Having known the guy some years ago, I would listen to what he has to say and like you, I wish him well.

5. msr

msr LE

He should have asked on the TA grapevine. There was probably someone who installs washing machines for a living mobilised with him.

msr

6. a damning indictment of the UK government handling of the AFG war. (ALL aspects thereof.)

7. One of the interesting parts that will be missed is the Department for International Development, they didn't want to invest in Afghanistan, that's mainly because there was a sell off within the DFiD by some senior people and they've made tens of millions out of it and now they only seem to invest in projects that are profitable and in countries that allow them into other avenues. Still it's good to see that he spent his £250 well, the partners at ACTIS (DFiD fund managers) are also spending the tens of millions they're syphoning out very well.

8. Subtle MSR, subtle!

9. Ya can shoot the Taliban but it's your own civvy functionaries that are your main problem.
    john

10. Ya can shoot the Taliban but it's your own civvy functionaries that are your main problem.
    john

11. Good man.

Just wonder why it took him so long to figure out where the whole rotten shebang was heading.

12. Nice to hear such an honest asessment coming from someone as highly placed as him. The man's a true hero!

13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

A good article!

15. Foot note was very interesting. Can't help but think why didn't he just order his men to fix it anyway, what would DfID do, disconnect it again?

Good article though, seems our worst fears about Selly Oak were true.

Dirty laundry

“My biggest regret about Afghanistan is over a washing machine,” says Stuart Tootal. The machine in question was in a hospital in Gereshk in the south of Helmand and was discovered by Tootal’s men on their first patrol in May 2006.

“The hospital sheets were filthy and the doctor said they couldn’t wash them,” he explained. “But we said, ‘You have an industrial washing machine sitting there in cellophane.’”

The US aid agency that had donated it withdrew when the British arrived so it had never been installed.An engineer with Tootal said that could be rectified, but they had not reckoned with the Department for International Development. It saw aid as its area and disliked “quick impact” projects.

“They didn’t want the military going into hospitals and they said we would tread on the toes of an aid agency even though it wasn’t doing anything,” said Tootal. “I said, ‘It doesn’t have to be done under the cloak of 3 Para. We can dress ourselves up as Afghans, do it at night. We just need to fix it.’”

The government officials refused, so for the whole of 3 Para’s six months in Helmand, the machine sat there in its plastic wrapping.

Tootal believes failure to carry out such “hearts and minds” operations has cost Britain in the long run. “It would have made us stand apart from the usual Afghan experience of foreigners constantly promising and not delivering,” he said.