former german barracks in bfg

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bohs_man, Apr 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently come across a fascinating book "flugplatz gutersloh" which details the history of the airfield from 1937 to 1987. It also provides details about mansergh barracks as well.
    Has anyone come across any books/websites concerning the history of barracks such as the sennelager area,bielefeld garrison,hohne,paderborn etc in german hands?
  2. "Herford - funf vor twelf" includes lots of pictures of Maresfield Barracks, the home of one of the Infantry Regiments (No 37?) of the German 6th Infantry Division. This bunch get to march through Paris in 1940 then are in the leading waves of the attack at Kursk, then wiped out a year later.

The old Loddenheide airfield, which became the barracks in Muenster played a very sifgnificant part in the Fall of France. On 10th Jan 1940 Major Helmut Reinburger, a Luftwaffe staff officer accepted the offer made by Obverst Eric Hoenmanns, the Kommandant of Loddenhiede airfield to fly him to Koeln in violation of security proihibitions on flying with classified documents. The roads were icy and it had been a heavy night in the Offizierheim. Unfortunately for them, this pair landed in Holland in error carrying the original plans for Fall Gelb the German attack on the Low Coutnries and France. This plan was based on the 1914 Schliefen Plan and had been anticipated by the Allies in their Dyle plan. Once the plan had been revealed to the Dutch, the Germans were more ready to drop this plan was dropped in favour of a much better plan proposed by Manstein.
    If Eric and Hubert hadn't had quite such a heavy night Hitler might have stuck to the original plan, and never conquered France.

The Tank Training area at Sennelager features in several battles. The demonstration and trianing vehicles are used at Arnhem in September 1944. In one of the last armoured battles in the West they giove a bloody nose to a US armoured division that incautiously advances along the gap South West of Paderboune area. The battle takes place in the manoiuvre area used for TEWTs in what was the Sennelager Briogade and Battlegroup Trainer (If such a thing still exists in this smaller army)

There are some websites dedicated to German barracks in tyhe US Secotr but there is plenty of scope to doi this for the British Sector
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

4. There was a stand off wuth US forces and a tiger tank outside one of the camps in Senelager young ss commander in charge a US gernerla tried to get him to surrender but got killed in the attempt the tiger got taken out the general was (I think) the highest ranking jewish soldier killed in the US army during WW2.
    Lumsden Bks in Fally had the SS div Norland train there and the SQMS of F sqn 2rtr had a good little muesum on camp of the things he'd found with a metal dector on camp and had plotted off on a map were he'd found them the stuff was in very good condidtion there were MG 42's in there not sure if it's still on the go as this was about 10 years ago that I seen it
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The 2 RTR museum has been closed as far I know. It was run by a slighty mad Staffy who left time served a few years back. SOme of the items were still "live" much to the local ATOs dismay.

All the same, it was a very good archive of the fally barracks.
  6. Yeah the EOD lads were always doing their nut as he was scraping out the explosive from the shells with a knife used to have a white armoured car parked o/s his house. Rememver walking in one day and seeing a load of rusty panzerfausts lined up ....god knows whatg state they were in :roll:
  7. I think its someone called Rosen who had commanded part or all of a US Armoured Division at St Vith in the Ardennes with some distinction.
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

About 1980 I took a young lady* up to the hill above the ring road one dark evening, on the south west side of the city. She proceeded to give me some history of her home town.

As I remember it, it went something like this.

* She later became Mrs Alien, but only by marrying my namesake in the squadron. She and Wor Lass attended the same ante-natal appointments at the Medical Centre every week. On one occasion, they were the only two in the place. The RMO shouted through for Mrs Alien, they shouted back, which one and he replied that they could take their pick. Nothing to do with the story but she was a very nice lass and I wouldn't have complained had she become the mother of my children.
  9. Always intersting stuff in this forum. Anyone know anything of any battles that occured around Herford?
  10. Gen Rose was killed by a German Tank Crewman. Rose and his staff had been driving towards Paderborn (from the area which is now home to what is known as the Paderborn/Lippstadt airport) when they ran into three Tigers. They were unable to escape. The incident took place near a barn (which is still there) in some open arable land. The Americans surrendered to the German tank crews. Whilst being guarded by one nervous German, Rose is believed to have made a movement which in the poor light, the GErman believed was an attempt to produce a side arm (this has never been 100% confirmed) and the German let him have a burst. In the subsequent confusion one of the higher ranking American Officers escaped.

Borchen (known by the Spams as 'Bazooka Town') , which is a small town near Paderborn was the site of some fierce fighting between the Spams and the Germans and for those of you who are familiar with Crocker Bks on the edge of Sennelager at the level crossing, that level crossing was the scene of several Sherman disablements by members of the Hitlerjugend who were based in Crocker Bks.

There was another town (the name currently evades me) where other Hitlerjungend ended up trapped in the Kiln at a Pottery works. They'd already destroyed some Shermans and caused quite a few American casualties and attempts to surrender to the Spams were 'fobbed off'. Each time one of the HJ stepped outside with his white flag he got slotted. The Americans appear to have taken this fight quite personally.

I had a small booklet which was given to me by one of the school teachers who worked in John Buchan School at Sennelegar. It covered all of the battle for Paderborn, including Gen Rose's death. It had small maps and grid references and all of the main areas are still accessible.

A couple of years before the Spams arrived, the RAF paid Paderborn Hauptbahnhof a two Mosquitoes. They caused extensive damage to the goods yard and the main building.

Polish Bks inside the STC Normandy Bks, was a prison camp for local Nazi Supporters who were guarded by the Brits. Any German prisoner attempting to near the perimeter fence got shot. One of the pastimes of the Brits was to lob a cigarette just over the fence with an invite to one of the inmates, who they duly shot as he attempted to recover the cigarette.

Paderborn and Sennelager have some fantastic military histories behind them spanning right bank to just before the 1st World War.
  11. Lippe is a Kreis (district) in the east of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Neighboring districts are Herford, Minden-Lübbecke, Schaumburg, Hamelin-Pyrmont, Holzminden, Höxter, Paderborn, Gütersloh, and district-free Bielefeld.

The Lippe district nearly covers the same area as the historic country Lippe. The first mention of this country was in 1123 and which grew in power slowly in the following centuries. In 1528 it became a county, in 1789 it was elevated to a principality.

Unlike many other countries of the Holy Roman Empire in the area Lippe kept its independence in the Napoleonic times, and thus wasn't incorporated into Prussia afterwards. It was one of the smaller member states of the German empire.

The last prince of Lippe was forced to abdicate in 1918 after the end of World War I when Germany became republic, his country became a Freistaat in the German republic. In 1932 the state was subdivided into two districts, Detmold and Lemgo. These continued to exist when in 1947 Lippe lost its status as a state of Germany and by order of the British military government was incorporated into the new federal state North Rhine-Westphalia; in 1949 it was approved by the parliament. In 1969/70 the 168 cities and municipalities were merged to 16; and as the second part of the administrative reform in 1973 the two districts Lemgo and Detmold were merged to the district Lippe.

Paderborn is a Kreis (district) in the east of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Neighboring districts are Gütersloh, Lippe, Höxter, Hochsauerland, and Soest.

Paderborn was a clerical state until it was included into Prussia in 1803. After the Napoleonic wars when Prussia created the province Westphalia it also created two districts roughly covering the area of the previous state - Paderborn and Büren. In 1975 these two districts were merged to the current Paderborn district.

State: North Rhine-Westphalia
    Adm. Region: Detmold
    Capital: Paderborn
    Area: 1,245.27 km²
    Inhabitants: 293,791 (2002)
    pop. density: 236 inh./km²
    Car identification: PB

Detmold is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, with a population of about 80,000. It was the capital of the small principality of Lippe until 1918 and then of the Free State of Lippe until 1947. Today it is the administrative center of the district (Kreis) Lippe.

Middle ages
    Detmold was first mentioned in 783 as Theotmalli, and in 1005 a Tietmelli or Theotmalli region (Gau) is referred to in documents. In 1263, Bernard III of Lippe fortified the settlement at the crossing of the trade route from Paderborn to Lemgo over the Werre river with stone walls and granted it a municipal charter. Its population was reported in 1305 as 305. Market rights granted in 1265 led to rapid economic development. Its defenses were greatly strengthed after severe damage had been inflicted on the town during the conflict with Soest in 1447. A major fire in 1547 destroyed more than 70 houses.

In 1550, Detmold became the permanent residence of Count Simon III (Lippe). The counts were elevated to princes in 1789, and Detmold remained the capital of this small principality until the end of the First World war in 1918, when all princely states in Germany were abolished.

Modern Times

Theater of DetmoldUnder Count Friedrich Adolf the town was expanded southward from 1701 onward. To allow further growth, permission to remove the fortification walls and trenches was granted in 1720, but the gates and towers were kept in place until the 1780s. Street lighting was introduced in 1809, with oil-fired lanterns. By 1835, the town had become the most populous in Lippe, with over 4,000 residents. It grew to 12,000 in 1900 and over 30,000 in 1950.

From 1919 to 1947, Detmold was the capital of the Free State of Lippe. When Lippe was incorporated into the new German state of Northrhine-Westfalia, the town became district headquarters of Lippe district, and since 1972 it is the seat of the county administration of Lippe. With the administrative reform of 1970, 25 near-by villages were incorporated into the city.

Tofrek Barracks in Hildeshem the former home of 1 regt AAC & 1 RTR was the main German Para centre in WW2. The troops who invaded Crete set off from here.
  13. Here is a pesonal history of a German Signaller trained in "Langemark Barracks Bielefeld" who served in Panzer Division Gross Deutchland" Did this become Tofrek barracks? He is an interesting character as he emigrates to Canada, joins the Canadian Army and was a Canadian Army Chaplain in Germany in the 1960s
  14. There was/is a magazine called then and now which was good for comparing and describing incidents with pics from the event and modern day they had one covering the battle of Berlin which would no doubt cover some of the old Bks there I'm sure that other sites in BAOR would be covered as well