Former dog handlers PTSD ignored by police

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have searched but cannot find anything about this having ben posted.

Read on
  2. A tale of missed opportunities. Whereas in normal circumstances a policeman cannot be expected to recognise PTSD as it presents itself in too many different guises. However in this case as the man had identified his condition officers would have been far better to have got medical examination and advice before doing anything else. The noise in the Police station is regrettable and undoubtedly, in this case, exacerbated the man's condition. However what about the PTSD sufferer who cannot stand silence? There is no standard set of symptoms so you can't have a standard procedure other than to take medical advice.
  3. There is simply no excuse. Any employer that ignores THIS MENTAL ILLNESS, does so at there own risk ! ---------simple as that.
  4. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. The police didn't know how to deal with this very complex condition. Certainly mistakes were made but I don't think there was any indifference on the part of the police, lack of understanding certainly. Some circumstances were beyond their control but yes, they could have suspended the interview and, in hindsight this is clearly what they should have done.
  5. What employer?
  6. Sounds to me like this was a big cock-up on the police side. The lad had obviously made it very clear he had PTSD and what aggravated it, yet the police station staff either through ignorance, imcompetence or intent, ignored these warnings, leading to the effects achieved. Bad show whichever force it was!
  7. As a former custody officer ..... I cannot defend what I have read, bad skills all round, hope it wasn't the MPS.