Former COS cleared - could have damaged their reputations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archibald, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So what? Why is it a relief? Who cares?

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I expect their clients in the defence industry are relieved. Now they can carry on the good work of securing them contracts.

3. They don't seem to mention the identity of the 'top civil servant' who Dannatt attended school with.

4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

The insinuations so far posted can continue. It is clear that neither Stirrup or Dannatt did anything wrong. What was missing out of the sting operation, (BBC I believe, a poor man's KGB) but was revealed by the HoL inquiry was that both had made the terms of their dealings very clear, and what was permissible and what was not. They not only adhered to the letter of the law but to the spirit of the law.

The BBC should be really careful as crap investigation and shit editorial control such as this will mean that they will be in deeper shit than they already are.

5. It was the Sunday Times that ran the story, as clearly stated in the article, yet you attack the BBC.

You are an idiot.

6. It will take more than the attempted denigration of two now toothless HOL attendees to bring any real changes to the BBC's questionable ethos. Mores the pity. The stables need cleaning.

7. It. Wasn't. The. BBC. It. Was. The. Sunday. Times.

Where is your carer at the moment?

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm not sure Stirrup's reputation was especially high in the first instance. Dannatt's subject more to a 'babe in the woods' kind of naivety. Not crooked, just clumsy.

But there's no smoke without fire: look at last week's Panorama investigation (ex-WFR twat Mercer), the overlapping Sunday Times inquiry into House of Lords cash-fer-questions, and the resignation of Kiszely from his Brit Legion role last year.

Our democratic institutions are in shit state. We need more stones to be overturned - there are many, many more shysters to be uncovered yet: be in no doubt about that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I can feel the spittle on your screen ....

10. Spoke to Dannatt shortly after the story went to press. He didn't seem unduly worried about it so I assumed the video as broadcast was telling a part truth. However it really should not be for an internal committee to adjudicate on this.

11. This thread gives the impression that our government will sell a weapon to anyone if the price is right. :lol:

12. The whole issue has divided my household and the rift caused has left me with a dilemma........steak and kidney, or minced beef and onion?

13. Both with chips?

14. You're right. Stirrup was never much to write home about. Dannatt's arguably worse - declaring for the Tories whilst incumbent as CDS was sheer folly and damaged his office considerably. Also hard to see how his religious ethics match well with his business interests.

Nuts to them both.