Former copper awarded £800,000 after wrongful imprisonment.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Apr 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What shocks me is that none of the ***** who where behind this have spent a day in jail. Christ, dont think any amount of money could help me get over all that.....

2. In 2003, four fellow officers involved in Mr Alam's original prosecution were charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and other offences, but were acquitted.

So will they be re-charged now?

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Probably not. Double jeopardy rule probably still applies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr_Fingerz

I fully agree. I trust my honourable friend noted the word "probably" in my statement to the house.

5. I duly note the Honourable Members use of the term probably and yield…

6. You two claimed your expenses for this "work"?

7. Mr_Fingerz

I can invoice you if you'd like 8)

8. Remind me again how much young Ali Dizael got? He was found extremely guilty.

No quote from the BPOA?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Agreed, but the rules on when double jeopardy can be overruled are complex and only for very serious cases

It should be used though on moral grounds, thats the big difference Ive noticed between the Mob and the Old Bill, the backstabbing that goes on in the police is unbelievable.

Plus the "You MUST shop your mates for ANY hint of wrongdoing or off-message-ness" is actually enshrined in the misconduct regs, fail to shop your mates and you'll be in the shit and sacked

10. You're talking about a Force who's Chief Constable, DCC and Police Authority head are all currently under investigation for corruption. The Force is rife with masonry and this episode just smacks of goat riders and their antics.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amazed this story has not been reported in the Daily Mail under "Muslim wins court case and taxpayers faced with £840k bill".....

• Like Like x 2
  12. Not since 2005. But don't hold your breath hoping for justice. The ACC has just stated that as far as he's concerned, Cleveland Police have decided that the payout draws a line under the matter. He's not in any position to make that call, but if you really want to see police corruption at its very best just look to South Wales Police. Those ***** could embarrass the Afghans. North Yorkshire Police aren't ******* shy in that department either.

As for the subject of the thread, that happened in 1996. They've been ducking and diving to hold out long enough for some of those responsible to finish their time and retire. It would be fantastic to see them all in the dock, but even if that happened, there would be 'sick notes' produced to say that most if not all of them were unfit to stand trial.

A dreadful way to treat a decent copper, but none of them would have lost a night's sleep over it until it looked like he was on a winner.

13. "In the civil case Mr Alam brought against the force, the Chief Constable admitted malicious prosecution and misfeasance in public office"

Even on the lower standard of proof that is a devastating admission for a Chief to make. I trust there will be a re-examination of other cases the officers responsible for this crime have been associated with?

“There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men", and criminals in uniform should be hammered. There should be zero tolerance of corruption, and it should be rooted out.

Anyone started the stopwatch before Ali jumps on this bandwagon?

(Not suggesting anything about the Cleveland officer, but i think ali is ruthless enough to use anyone for his ends).