Former cadet instructor and pretend veteran banned from British Legion

Looks to me like he's wearing an Army Medal for Long Service and and Good Conduct, Naval Long Service and Good Conduct, British Empire Medal (unsure), some kind of OBE/KBE/MBE, a Golden Jubilee medal (with silver clasp?) Diamond Jubilee medal, Army Emergency Reserve medal and that's all I can really identify. A whole mix there, none of them look like campaign medals to me.

Looks to me like he's wearing an Army Medal for Long Service and and Good Conduct, Naval Long Service and Good Conduct, British Empire Medal (unsure), some kind of OBE/KBE/MBE, a Golden Jubilee medal (with silver clasp?) Diamond Jubilee medal, Army Emergency Reserve medal and that's all I can really identify. A whole mix there, none of them look like campaign medals to me.
I think I've found him;
20201.jpeg

TamH70

MIA
Blimey, how many miles of black nasty needed for persec for that photo?
Hey, as they say, if you have to ask, you don't need to know.

/Taps nose knowingly and saunters off.

@Tartan_Terrier, The medals on his left side ( The side where you would normally wear those awarded to yourself) look to be The queens golden jubilee medal with some sort of clasp (There are no clasps awarded with this) The queens diamond jubilee medal, the next one looks like the Africa general service medal, the last award of this was for service in Kenya against the Mau Mau in 1956. An old soldier I knew had this and he died aged 80 in 2013. The last one looks like it could be an air efficiency award but the photo isn’t clear. As another poster pointed out, there is an army LSGC on the other side, it’s common practice and not considered Walting to wear a dead close relatives medals on the right side on Remembrance Day or similar.

Dr Death

War Hero
The ACF in Scotland must be a tough gig to have.
Impressing all the young girls with that balcony & boathouse stories.
The chance to do more fiddling than the Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

Euclid

War Hero
[QUOTE="ivan_the_tolerable, post: it’s common practice and not considered Walting to wear a dead close relatives medals on the right side on Remembrance Day or similar.
[/QUOTE]
So it seems - smacks of attention seeking and some of the familial links are getting pretty fcking tenuous. Let’s face it, any Brit is going to have dozens upon dozens of long deceased relatives with bling dating back to Waterloo.

Family medals should remain in a frame in the downstairs khazi where they belong.

[QUOTE="ivan_the_tolerable, post: it’s common practice and not considered Walting to wear a dead close relatives medals on the right side on Remembrance Day or similar.
So it seems - smacks of attention seeking and some of the familial links are getting pretty fcking tenuous. Let’s face it, any Brit is going to have dozens upon dozens of long deceased relatives with bling dating back to Waterloo.

Family medals should remain in a frame in the downstairs khazi where they belong.
[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with certain caveats. If it’s as you say, three or four generations later then don’t bother as it does come across as a bit of look at me. If it’s dad’s who was killed in Op Herrick in the noughties then there is probably a strong emotional tie.

It appears from the report that it took the RBL something like 5 years to rumble him.

That doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:
LHS: Gold and Diamond Jubilee medals plus two Bigbury Mint purchased equivalents. RHS: BEM, GSM and LS&GC with more self-purchased tat below.

I know nothing of the customs, practices and foibles of the savage North British.

Latest Threads