Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former British Soldier Confirmed Dead in Pattaya

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
Missing ex-soldier & current security contractors' body identified in Bangkok morgue one month after his death which allegedly occurred during a robust drunken romp with a ladyboy:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/drunk-tourist-collapses-dies-during-7984562

New angle now being reported:

Missing Former British Soldier Confirmed Dead in Pattaya
Thirty-five year old Steven Balfour, an ex-British soldier, who had not been seen mid-May has been confirmed dead after his body was identified by a distinctive tattoo. Last week The Scottish Daily Record ran stories from his worried family and friends that Steve had informed them before a trip to Pattaya that if ‘anything happened to him’ his Thai ex-wife would be responsible.

This turns out not to be the case at all, at least highly unlikely. Steve was last seen on May 14th in Pattaya City during a month long trip to visit his daughter.

Bearing in mind Thailand is a military dictatorship and the fact that the police have already 'solved' this 'accidental death' investigation I would suspect it will remain case closed. Moral of the story is the land of smiles has a dark underbelly that should not be ****ed with, who ever you are.

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
Mysterious Death in Pattaya Walking Street. Ladyboy Questioned | Pattaya One, Local News in Pattaya Thailand

Three photos in linked article above show lady boy looking peeved, Steven Balfour lying naked beside a towel on the floor outside the bathroom, the sheets removed from the bed and more PAX in the room than you could shake a stick at; the thai police issued a statement:
Investigators have already said the man probably tripped due to his intoxicated state causing him to injure himself. However, they will await the results of the autopsy to determine the exact cause of death before questioning the ladyboy further.

Balfours' wallet and ID were missing, but the ladyboy claimed he was paid 3000 bhat for a 'short time' - about 7 times the going rate and foreigners can't rent a room in Thailand without ID. His body has lain unidentified in the morgue for almost 6 weeks despite him being reported missing far earlier.

It stinks to me. Does anyone know how long traces of rohypnol or similar would remain detectable in a corpse? I've been told I am in the right place to find said SME.

Mysterious Death in Pattaya Walking Street. Ladyboy Questioned | Pattaya One, Local News in Pattaya Thailand

Three photos in linked article above show lady boy looking peeved, Steven Balfour lying naked beside a towel on the floor outside the bathroom, the sheets removed from the bed and more PAX in the room than you could shake a stick at; the thai police issued a statement:

Balfours' wallet and ID were missing, but the ladyboy claimed he was paid 3000 bhat for a 'short time' - about 7 times the going rate and foreigners can't rent a room in Thailand without ID. His body has lain unidentified in the morgue for almost 6 weeks despite him being reported missing far earlier.

It stinks to me. Does anyone know how long traces of rohypnol or similar would remain detectable in a corpse? I've been told I am in the right place to find said SME.

We can only hope that he managed to climax before the moment of death

If those are pukka SOCO photos then I'll warrant you have absolutely no chance of 'solving ' that crime to your satisfaction - and I'm not a policeman.

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
If those are pukka SOCO photos then I'll warrant you have absolutely no chance of 'solving ' that crime to your satisfaction - and I'm not a policeman.
The thai police have a reputation for 'allocating' crimes to the nearest 'nobody', i.e. the recent Koh Toa murders and subsequent convictions of Cambodian indentured fishermen stunk too.

Corruption and nepotism are rife in the police state that is the land of smiles.

The thai police have a reputation for 'allocating' crimes to the nearest 'nobody', i.e. the recent Koh Toa murders and subsequent convictions of Cambodia indentured labourers.

Corruption and nepotism are rife in the police state that is the land of smiles.

I'd heard that the Brit couple murdered in Koh Tao were murdered by a monk for having a spot of rumpy pumpy in one of the Buddhist temples. Those cheeky locals then fitted up a couple of Burmese labourers.

Nice island though

Missing ex-soldier & current security contractors' body identified in Bangkok morgue one month after his death which allegedly occurred during a robust drunken romp with a ladyboy:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/drunk-tourist-collapses-dies-during-7984562

New angle now being reported:

Missing Former British Soldier Confirmed Dead in Pattaya

Bearing in mind Thailand is a military dictatorship and the fact that the police have already 'solved' this 'accidental death' investigation I would suspect it will remain case closed. Moral of the story is the land of smiles has a dark underbelly that should not be ****ed with, who ever you are.

Agreed. I've lived and worked in SE Asia (including Thailand) for 16 years: anything is possible. This could be exactly as reported, and any range of conspiracy theories are feasible too. The police scene of crime approach is dreadful in all the countries around Thailand and in Thailand itself, and the rozzers do have a habit in cases like this of making their mind up on the spot. Sort of a "well if you hadn't been here this wouldn't have happened to you, so it's your fault" mentality. And the default option for the local plod is ALWAYS to take the local person's word for it. Makes their paperwork easier, not to mention the readily understood application of the salary support scheme.

Pattaya is probably the worst of the worst, and there is an amazing number of drunk expats falling off balconies every year, so 'hitting his head on the wall' is not much of a variation on a theme.

Also it's not much of a stretch to believe the ex was involved: I knew of a Swiss bloke who was grassed up by his Thai wife so she could asset-strip him while he was in nick: then there was the lad (a neighbour of mine) whose Khmer wife tried to kill him by pouring a pan of boiling chip fat over his head, when he found out her 'brother' was really her REAL husband...both of whom met their wives when they were on the game, so as they say "you can take the girl out of the bar...". Really, the examples are endless

As for the ladyboy angle, well any thing's possible of course: I used to give 'ladyboy awareness training' to our visitors at one point, but stopped pointing out same to people I don't know, when I realised that often they already knew the answer to the question "do you realise that's a geezer?" Their business, not mine...:)

That being said, the Thai realise that westerners are much more embarrassed than they are about the whole ladyboy thing, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the young lad(y) in question wasn't slipped a wedge to say that (s)he'd been with the foreigner, just to embarrass the family into not digging too deep. They're obviously not holding them as a potential suspect...

Like I say, it might well be just as reported, but my own experience out in that part of the world is that (a) the first explanation is never the whole story and (b) the way to the truth is to 'follow the money'...

Poor bloke.

Cliff Richard

Old-Salt
Those cheeky locals then fitted up a couple of Burmese labourers.
Burmese labourers, Cambodian fishermen - all subject to a modern day form of slavery. People should realise that below the surface Thailand is a brutal and unjust society, but that is all hidden from your short-time visitor.

In this case I would speculate that Balfour was murdered by hit men and the ladyboy was made to play his part in a little thai ****-you to the deceased, most likely because he may of caused a massive loss of face to his ex-wife (who being a good looking girl probably has a lover high up in the Police already) and some form of life insurance policy.

Burmese labourers, Cambodian fishermen - all subject to a modern day form of slavery. People should realise that below the surface Thailand is a brutal and unjust society, but that is all hidden from your short-time visitor.

In this case I would speculate that Balfour was murdered by hit men and the ladyboy was made to play his part in a little thai ****-you to the deceased, most likely because he may of caused a massive loss of face to his ex-wife (who being a good looking girl probably has a lover high up in the Police already) and some form of life insurance policy.

Sounds like tin foil hattery to me, but all the best

I'd heard that the Brit couple murdered in Koh Tao were murdered by a monk for having a spot of rumpy pumpy in one of the Buddhist temples. Those cheeky locals then fitted up a couple of Burmese labourers.

Nice island though

Possible. Certainly the chief policeman investigating showed his impartiality when he said "no Thai could commit a crime like this"...I don't remember seeing any temple on Koh Tao (it's pretty small) but then I was last there 14 years ago and only there for the diving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible. Certainly the chief policeman investigating showed his impartiality when he said "no Thai could commit a crime like this"...I don't remember seeing any temple on Koh Tao (it's pretty small) but then I was last there 14 years ago and only there for the diving...

Wat Koh Tao

Been there since '77

Sounds like tin foil hattery to me, but all the best

Yes it does. It always does at first. I spent the first two years out there not understanding 75% of what was going on around me - worse even than normal :) - trying to apply 'simple, logical' explanations to stuff. Things really do move in a different way out east...

Yes it does. It always does at first. I spent the first two years out there not understanding 75% of what was going on around me - worse even than normal :) - trying to apply 'simple, logical' explanations to stuff. Things really do move in a different way out east...

Things do move in a different fashion out east as I've discovered on my travels. But move they do nonetheless and who are we to judge?

Latest Threads