Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former British soldier Andrew Neal 'accused of selling drugs in Dubai'

D

Deleted 60082

Some bint was on radio 4.....blaah blahhh PDST in Afghanistan
I heard that, and it just completely irrelevant. However, it does seem that there is no case to answer. I suspect his continued detention is a matter of saving face, and gross incompetency amongst the local authorities. Once again, however, the woman saw fit to criticise the foreign office for not doing more. She claimed that going to the media was a much more effective way of doing business. However I’ve seen this a number of times in my brief time working with the FCO, but rubbing the locals noses in it using international media, is a very short lived and shortsighted strategy. That might get the individual released, but does incalculable harm to our longer term relations with that country.

However I’ve seen this a number of times in my brief time working with the FCO, but rubbing the locals noses in it using international media, is a very short lived and shortsighted strategy. That might get the individual released, but does incalculable harm to our longer term relations with that country.
One wonders how many times this has backfired?
"So, Mr Chav, you say you had no idea that smuggling drugs/drinking alcohol/buying 12 yr old prossies/pissing on statues was illegal in our (Insert nation here)? Yet your newspapers are full of stories about it..."

D

Deleted 60082

One wonders how many times this has backfired?
"So, Mr Chav, you say you had no idea that smuggling drugs/drinking alcohol/buying 12 yr old prossies/pissing on statues was illegal in our (Insert nation here)? Yet your newspapers are full of stories about it..."
Absolutely. I’ve also been present when senior officials ‘demand’ that our government control the media (especially the BBC) or that certain trade or defence deals will be put on hold, because of infavourable or wholly inaccurate reporting. It’s difficult to explain that although the BBC is the de facto state broadcaster, it’s also fully independent.

It was like the case of the “former soldier “ Joe Robinson who was detained in Turkey for being a stupid, fibbing twat. His gobby family were told to STFU or risk a potential life sentence in a Turkish prison, because of their constant criticisms of the locals.

I heard that, and it just completely irrelevant. However, it does seem that there is no case to answer. I suspect his continued detention is a matter of saving face, and gross incompetency amongst the local authorities. Once again, however, the woman saw fit to criticise the foreign office for not doing more. She claimed that going to the media was a much more effective way of doing business. However I’ve seen this a number of times in my brief time working with the FCO, but rubbing the locals noses in it using international media, is a very short lived and shortsighted strategy. That might get the individual released, but does incalculable harm to our longer term relations with that country.
It is incredibly stupid of the newspapers but they do love their headlines. I am reminded of the case of the (Danish) dentist travelling out to Dubai from her practice in UK to do some botox work on the side (just going on holiday, honest, despite adverts in the local papers). Headlines screaming she had been arrested for drinking a glass of wine on the (Emirates) flight. The reality was that she had no valid visa so got pulled to one side for an interview. Pulled out another passport and was offered a visa on that one but it wasn't as long as she wanted and would have had to change the return flight. Started gobbing off at the immigration official and videoing him, promptly handed her @rse but oh no, it was because she had a glass of wine FFS!

I think the idea is for the FCO to quietly go about its business "getting people freed' and not best done under the glare of the media. Otherwise typical idiot brits who do not understand the culture get into bother and then EXPECT and DEMAND they are freed before the ink on the false confession is dry!

D

Deleted 60082

It is incredibly stupid of the newspapers but they do love their headlines. I am reminded of the case of the (Danish) dentist travelling out to Dubai from her practice in UK to do some botox work on the side (just going on holiday, honest, despite adverts in the local papers). Headlines screaming she had been arrested for drinking a glass of wine on the (Emirates) flight. The reality was that she had no valid visa so got pulled to one side for an interview. Pulled out another passport and was offered a visa on that one but it wasn't as long as she wanted and would have had to change the return flight. Started gobbing off at the immigration official and videoing him, promptly handed her @rse but oh no, it was because she had a glass of wine FFS!
My consular colleagues always listen compassionately to the sob stories but then check, and check again. Sometimes it’s over-zealous local officials but generally pissed-up Brits over confident of their superiority and who have a few skeletons in the closet. Especially when it’s a domestic/child abuse/safe-guarding case.

I first experience something like this when I was in Saudi post 9/11. The expat community were dreadful bunch of coves. Lived up large but couldn’t give the UK a good name. A bit of digging would generally reveal outstanding court orders, CCJs, CSA, arrest warrants, thus no desire to return to Blighty. As a friend in the Embassy pointed out, the expat community was typified by the ‘corporals of industry ‘

Apart from the Saluki's kept by many out there.

I would imagine there is excellent contract work looking after the hunting dogs of the wealthy myself.
A quick $15k from the owners to let them shag you, but you need a verified Instagram account, low self esteem, and an addiction to designer shoes, of course.

I contacted the local embassy when the passport agency lost my sons original documents, photos, birth certificate and our marriage certificate/an agency employee sold them to a people trafficker. The agency was not answering the phone and help was needed.
The Cebu Consul is not even on the same island anymore, in fact it is an answerphone with no messaging facility in the Manila embassy so I emailed and received an automated response that I would be contacted within 60 days, that was 2,920 days ago.
Do you think going to the media would give them a nudge?

He should have more sense,
Going out to work in Arab shitholes what did he expect.
They can come to our country and race and wreck expensive cars on the streets of London and nothing is done.
The sooner the oil runs out the better.

Rooper

War Hero
He should have more sense,
Going out to work in Arab shitholes what did he expect.
They can come to our country and race and wreck expensive cars on the streets of London and nothing is done.
The sooner the oil runs out the better.
Except the Dubai has no oil!

Except the Dubai has no oil!

Ahem.

snip

1605750982425.png

muscat_diver

War Hero
That estimate is from Wikipedia, OPEC reckon 97,800 million barrels. Dubai is currently letting ADNOC (Abu Dhabi National Oil Company) build as many petrol stations as they want in Dubai, the reason being is that Dubai no longer wants to subsidise petrol sales. Also consider that it is all well and good having oil reserves but monetising them takes a whole different infrastructure.

Chimp

ADC
There must be a Mr/Ms Big behind)this. Does the trail of crumbs go back to Corrie and Madeline.

Latest Threads