Former British soldier Andrew Neal 'accused of selling drugs in Dubai'

muscat_diver

War Hero
Maybe you're thinking of KSA, no empty quarter in the UAE and the way they're building there will be no desert left in Dubai soon either.
In all my time in Dubai I never heard or met any locals who even owned a dog, never mind hunt with them. Falcons and other raptors, yes they loved those. They would hire a whole plane so they could fly with them.
The Empty Quarter encompasses UAE as visitors past Moreeb Dune, Liwa etc will attest.
Rub' al Khali - Wikipedia

But a country best to be rather cautious in one's dealings (either of them, KSA or UAE).
Yes, in any of those middle eastern countries when you're with a local just smile and nod, smile and nod. Don't irritate them because you have no idea who they're connected to. Wasta is still alive and kicking out there.

Until recently would pass through Dubai frequently. I would keep a low profile, stay in the hotel area, taxi to the Mall or strip and that is it. Its not the country that you can come over all jonny big bollox like Germany and expect a clip round the ear from the Gendarmes! Now of course its is a little 2 faced as well......there were more "ladies of the night" openly flaunting their trade than i have ever seen in the UK but then the standard was a little higher than Bradfords finest......not that i have seen Bradfords finest, just on TV!!!

muscat_diver

War Hero
Well there isn't much 'empty left in Dubai and what there is is rapidly being concreted over and tarmaced.
Agreed, I am at The Villa and now surrounds by new estates. The build price of the town houses and smaller properties still allows a buck to be made but the default fallout will be a mess. Still lots of financial dhobi being done...

Last edited:
Now of course its is a little 2 faced as well......there were more "ladies of the night" openly flaunting their trade than i have ever seen in the UK but then the standard was a little higher than Bradfords finest......not that i have seen Bradfords finest, just on TV!!!
Number 1 sex tourist country in the world is Thailand, number 3 is Dubai. All those horny Saudis got to get their rocks off somewhere ;)

Yes, in any of those middle eastern countries when you're with a local just smile and nod, smile and nod. Don't irritate them because you have no idea who they're connected to. Wasta is still alive and kicking out there.

:1:

To go the full Kenobi, "Now that's a word I've not heard in a long time"

I'd never heard it before going abroad, it didn't help I had no Gulf Arab friends to explain it. However, you simply cannot understand that part of the world without it.

واسِطة

I was talking with a language tutor about it, from the rather neutral root of

وسط

Or "middle", Wasta has taken on a life of its own. It was translated to me as "nepotism", but has all the connotations of "an intermediary who can make this happen". It was as debased a term as "Insha' Allah" - which had become, to all intents and purposes, "Forget it, but I won't say no".

Agreed, I am at The Villa and now surrounds by new estates. The build price of the town houses and smaller properties still allows a buck to be made but the default fallout will be a mess. Still lots of dhobi being done...
I was in JVT and astonished at what was going on further inland past the new (not so new now) bypass (611). Down at the new (not very) airport I seen all the plans for the new estates, almost joining up with AD. Mental.

isnt the standard procedure for handling legal confusion involving a British soldier in that part of the world to drive a warrior through the wall of the prison?

Or indeed any country you choose to live in but don't speak the local language.

Indeed.

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart"

Got me out of the odd misunderstanding that simple bit of wisdom.

Until recently would pass through Dubai frequently. I would keep a low profile, stay in the hotel area, taxi to the Mall or strip and that is it. Its not the country that you can come over all jonny big bollox like Germany and expect a clip round the ear from the Gendarmes! Now of course its is a little 2 faced as well......there were more "ladies of the night" openly flaunting their trade than i have ever seen in the UK but then the standard was a little higher than Bradfords finest......not that i have seen Bradfords finest, just on TV!!!

This. First time I was there I was told "Don't act the twat and don't draw attention to yourself. You will get crucified". I didn't venture "off-base" much anyway: I was content to spend my free time drinking Harp and watching Sky Sports in my own wee plastic house on the site.

Or "middle", Wasta has taken on a life of its own. It was translated to me as "nepotism", but has all the connotations of "an intermediary who can make this happen".
A local I knew had a decent engineering job for a Western company but whenever he introduced himself to a local he would tell them first about his wife. She was a very senior manager in the land department. Thus ensuring that they knew where he was in the grand scheme of things i.e. don't mess me about or what you want won't happen. He was extremely helpful once you got to know him and smoothed the path many a time.

muscat_diver

War Hero
A run ashore in the dark side of Dubai is great fun, relatively cheap happy hours, plenty to look at, great Philippino bands etc but know when to call it a day. Same with 'all you can eat and drink' 4 hour brunches and post brunch drinks. Plenty of careers ruined and family lives ruined by falling foul of the local police who do not mess about. If ending up with a stripey suntan opportunity at Al Awir or expelled from UAE it is a brutal wake up call.

D

Deleted 60082

These threads refer.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/another-hero.269656/page-4#post-8351383
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-englishman-abroad.268851/

The standard jingoism from the media -
1) MUST be innocent, as he/she is a Brit.
2) Bloody foreigners - they don't know what they are doing.
3) Signed confession they didn't understand
4) Vile prison conditions
5) Distraught family haven't heard anything.

a con-man becomes a 'businessman'

Having witnessed many ex-UK forces chaps make cnuts of themselves in Saffer parts, and expect to 'walk', maybe this could be a wake-up.
I'm sure @Crash can entertain us with what the laws of various nations say.
I can’t comment about Dubai, but as I regularly point out, the days of HMA demanding the local ruler lays himself prostrate in front of Big Lady Boss Man’s being incarnate begging forgiveness for such a grave error are sadly over. Even better when a white and buff painted armoured cruiser swung lazily at anchor with its secondary armament run out and pointing benignly at the royal palace. But these days (and I blame the diminution of Imperial power on the Yanks) the Foreign Office doesn’t fix stupid.

If there’s evidence of trumped-up charges, torture or the threat of an irresponsible use of the death penalty, Her Majesty’s representative may talk to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs along the lines of ‘come on chaps, he’s not worth the effort’. Additionally, it’s the sort of things included in briefings by senior visitors (see “The Ambassadors” for intervention by Prince Mark of Bath).

Robme

LE
Many moons ago, whilst doing a 12 month stint in Oman, there was an urban myth of a RAF bod playing hunt the snake with one of the local women. For his pains he was spirited out of the country and his discharge pa-era were waiting for him by the time he landed back in the U.K.
like I said a bit of an urban myth but word to the wise was women were off limits.

D

Deleted 60082

I can’t comment about Dubai, but as I regularly point out, the days of HMA demanding the local ruler lays himself prostrate in front of Big Lady Boss Man’s being incarnate begging forgiveness for such a grave error are sadly over. Even better when a white and buff painted armoured cruiser swung lazily at anchor with its secondary armament run out and pointing benignly at the royal palace. But these days (and I blame the diminution of Imperial power on the Yanks) the Foreign Office doesn’t fix stupid.

If there’s evidence of trumped-up charges, torture or the threat of an irresponsible use of the death penalty, Her Majesty’s representative may talk to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs along the lines of ‘come on chaps, he’s not worth the effort’. Additionally, it’s the sort of things included in briefings by senior visitors (see “The Ambassadors” for intervention by Prince Mark of Bath).

Consular assistance is limited to making sure the accused has access to an English speaking lawyer (but the miscreant has to pay for it) and regular welfare visits. Like every couple of months. Of the case is controversial, the Embassy might send an officer to cover the court appearances; HMA will get quite cross of Johnny Foreigner starts blocking access in either cases.

D

Deleted 60082

He did sign with a fingerprint...

I'm surprised he didn't ask for legal advice, I believe the FCO or local consulate is able to offer limited assistance not limited to a local type of legal representation at his own cost? And he was dumb enough to sign documents he didn't understand without a solicitor present

Yep, that’s about right, but sometimes you can’t get a local lawyer to represent the admin vortex. Meh

Around 7 or 8 years ago, I was transiting Dubai flying on Emirates from China/Thailand to Houston on a frequent basis.

Quite a few hotel stops outside the airport. From what I saw of Emiratis, I wouldn't trust any of them any further than I could throw them.

Recent cases in the media have re-inforced that opinion.

The same goes for other Arab countries.

Maintain a low profile, and ' yes sir, no sir, three bags full, sir' attitude at all times.

The best place in the UAE?. the departure area at Dubai airport.

Last edited:

Latest Threads