Former Blackwater boss training "private foreign legion"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

UAE seems to be feeling a bit nervous: As part of their nuclear powerplant deal with South Korea, they have a detachment of South Korean special forces in country - presumably to prevent North Korea attempting any possible takeover in Abu Dhabi.

All this is a sign of waning UK influence, though: Back in the 60s-70s, this was our turf.

2. Training & arming Colombian former paramilitaries as a private army for hire (merceneries)? Bad idea, very ****ing bad idea.

3. "Bad idea, very ****ing bad idea."

Agreed.
    But this could not happen without the Nod from High Up.
    I the US planning to Privatise it's Wars ?

john

4. There's still a huge Brit presence in the UAE, especially in Abu Dhabi and throughout the Federal Ministries and agencies. Calm down, dear :)

5. Why are they hiring Colombians though?

Mind you, experienced, well equipped, well trained and cheap as chips.
    Most of them would probably be ex police and military and done lots of work against both the cartels and rebels, US government aided of course so the groundwork is already there.

I wonder what they are paying? Is it a big posh pad and a tricked out Maybach as a golden handshake?

6. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Cheers for that Glad, I was coming over all shaky, like.

Ooooh. Let me sit down and have a nice cup of tea and a scone.

7. Welcome to OmniCorps...

8. Yeah. Nothing against you mate, but in one short sentence, you've manage to sum up one of the main reasons the ME has been a bucket of shit and blood for so long. Too many foreigners ****ing about in their business. And still they're queueing up to stick their honey-soaked cock in the beehive.

9. I recommend anyone taking an interest in this thread to read 'Blackwater: The Rise of the Worlds Most Powerful Mercenary Army' by Jeremy Scahill. If little else it's an eye opener in how the movers and shakers of private military contracting go about their business in the 21st century.

10. They would seem more suited to death squads more than frontline combat although the Washington Post has said the standards are so poor amongst the Colombians some never even fired rifles before or have little knowledge of basic soldiering ! that he's hired a hardcore of ex Executive Outcomes South Africans to be his main firefore with the spics as back-up

11. So he is basically doing an Aldi/Netto version of Paramilitary, stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap.

I was thinking 'ooooohh running round some sultan with a gun, how very dooodie do, back handers must be in it, where do I sign?'

Now I'm not so sure

12. As Machiavelli said from experience..

"I say, therefore, that the arms with which a prince defends his state are either his own, or they are mercenaries, auxiliaries, or mixed.
    Mercenaries and auxiliaries are useless and dangerous; and if one holds his state based on these arms, he will stand neither firm nor safe; for they are disunited, ambitious, and without discipline, unfaithful, valiant before friends, cowardly before enemies; they have neither the fear of God nor fidelity to men,... for in peace one is robbed by them, and in war by the enemy. The fact is, they have no other attraction or reason for keeping the field than a trifle of stipend, which is not sufficient to make them willing to die for you. They are ready enough to be your soldiers whilst you do not make war, but if war comes they take themselves off or run from the foe;....
    The mercenary captains are either capable men or they are not; if they are, you cannot trust them, because they always aspire to their own greatness, either by oppressing you, who are their master, or others contrary to your intentions; but if the captain is not skilful, you are ruined in the usual way."

Perhaps Colonel Gaddafi should have read the old Italian a bit himself, and the Emirates should consider just how 'capable' their employees are.