Former BAOR warrior dies

Some years back the Sun ran a headline slagging off Myra Hindley on the front page, while the centre pages of the same issue were a spread of photos of Grantham opening a supermarket.

Double standards - they were both murderers, but one was glorified by the BBC and the other media.

(Apologies for not taking part in the thread drift)

Newspaper reports at the time report that the taxi driver bled to death.
While that doesn't necessarily mean that he could have been saved with
timely medical care, the papers don't normally mention that unless the
inference is there.

Grantham running off and leaving him to die, just seems to make the death
more tragic and the crime more heinous.

He seems to have been a nasty person all round. Must admit that I am baffled as to the level of here worship he got.

Just goes to show that not all ex-soldiers are heros.

Knew a (female) taxi driver in Rheindalen who wore Sap gloves (lead loaded knuckles). She broke the nose of a Yank GI who tried to rob her then calmly delivered his battered carcass to the guard house.

I know someone who watches an hour and a half of soaps a day. As a result, her life is filled with pointless drama of her own creation. It is brain-rotting stuff that normalises murder, rape and violence, and having someone like Grantham acting in it is unfortunately a natural progression.

Apparently he was being investigated over the assault of a schoolgirl. Nice bloke all round. Glad the cùnt's dead, hope it was slow and painful.

I know someone who watches an hour and a half of soaps a day. As a result, her life is filled with pointless drama of her own creation. It is brain-rotting stuff that normalises murder, rape and violence, and having someone like Grantham acting in it is unfortunately a natural progression.

Apparently he was being investigated over the assault of a schoolgirl. Nice bloke all round. Glad the cùnt's dead, hope it was slow and painful.
Only an hour and a half. Bloody lightweight.

When I was still talking to my family I had to check the TV schedules to see when I could phone them. Two Aussie soaps, followed by something on Channel Five, the three main soaps plus The Bill. Every bloody evening.

I remember driving up there one Christmas. A six hour drive in crap weather. Haven't seen the family for a year. I park up outside the house. Let myself in. And am totally ignored as they are all watching Home and Away. Only the dog paid me any attention, jumping up on me and pissing on my leg.

Soap operas, television for the brain dead.

Only an hour and a half. Bloody lightweight.

When I was still talking to my family I had to check the TV schedules to see when I could phone them. Two Aussie soaps, followed by something on Channel Five, the three main soaps plus The Bill. Every bloody evening.

I remember driving up there one Christmas. A six hour drive in crap weather. Haven't seen the family for a year. I park up outside the house. Let myself in. And am totally ignored as they are all watching Home and Away. Only the dog paid me any attention, jumping up on me and pissing on my leg.

Soap operas, television for the brain dead.
I had that this Xmas as she watched Eastbenders and Corrie back to back. Me and her bloke had to observe radio silence for one hour and watch this shite. And it was shite. A more contrived bunch of ham-acted auld wànk would be hard to conceive.

Edited to add: Boxing day there was a drama as her husband had to pick up her son who'd been duffed up by his boyfriend. Hubby had to drive to Derby while half cut with the useless twat. A case of life imitating art.

Last edited:
I had that this Xmas as she watched Eastbenders and Corrie back to back. Me and her bloke had to observe radio silence for one hour and watch this shite. And it was shite. A more contrived bunch of ham-acted auld wànk would be hard to conceive.
My sympathies.
On my occasional trips to the UK I have to endure this when visiting relatives.
Not only the silence when we are at the place, but also the 'let me tell you what's has been happening in...', to which I reply 'I couldn't care less.'
"But don't you get..."
Yes, but I do not watch it.

I'm currently on holiday in Marrakech and am keeping in touch with my loved one (alright, our lass) via WhatsApp video calls. This reminded me of when the family went on holiday to Spain about 30 years ago (leaving the 17 year old me at home for two weeks - I think that I got the best of the bargain there). In those days the only way to phone home was via a phone box or the extremely expensive hotel phone.

When they got home dad complained bitterly that mam had phoned her mother from the hotel room and the topic of conversation was what was happening in the soaps, even though I was dutifully recording the bloody things for her, and the fact that KwikSave had reduced their butter by a penny and should she get her some.

To quote my old man "They way they go on you'd think that they were real people."

My sympathies.
On my occasional trips to the UK I have to endure this when visiting relatives.
Not only the silence when we are at the place, but also the 'let me tell you what's has been happening in...', to which I reply 'I couldn't care less.'
"But don't you get..."
Yes, but I do not watch it.
What's happened is a load of actors have pretended to be other people for money. That's what's happened.

Last edited:
Bastard :mad:
You are dead too us, from now on we will wear the Red&Yellow Roses to Commemorate The Battle of Minden 1st August 1759. The Red&Yellow Flash daily for The Battle of Minden as an honour, not for you you you Tankie ;)
Now that's where your wrong ,red and yellow is actually worn to celebrate my wise decision to join the Royal Armoured Corps,(see photo). The battle of Minden pales into insignificance compared to my traitorous act.:eek:
Oh and i'm not a Tankie.;)
th.jpg

The old animosities between south and north London were very strong in those days, and families would never dream of crossing the river into "enemy" territory. This attitude still persists, to a certain degree, to this day.
Aren't you exaggerating a bit for effect here?
There was constant interaction 'over the water', families from south London did flock to Petticoat Lane, Whitechapel and Poplar markets and even Limehouse before the Chinese re-invented themselves in Soho.

In turn, places like Manzi's the pie & eel shop on the south side were well patronised by East End folk.

As a schoolboy, I though nothing of visiting friends over that side, one of whom actually lived in Brick Lane and another, also south of Bethnal Green Road, feeling as safe as I felt at the Elephant, Surrey Docks or Deptford High Street.
Many dockers commuted across the river to work.
Of course, south Londoners wouldn't venture into pubs like the Blind Beggar but locals were local in those days and people rarely went further much than the end of their street for a drink.
Most people were blissfully unaware of the Krays and Richardson gang until their stories hit the headlines.

Looking back only a couple of things strike me as partisan- South Londoners hated being referred to a cockneys and the arcs of gentrification, East Enders tended to move out to Essex or if Jewish, take the Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill then Golders Green route; while south Londoners usually drifted out to Kent.

Aren't you exaggerating a bit for effect here?
There was constant interaction 'over the water', families from south London did flock to Petticoat Lane, Whitechapel and Poplar markets and even Limehouse before the Chinese re-invented themselves in Soho.

In turn, places like Manzi's the pie & eel shop on the south side were well patronised by East End folk.

As a schoolboy, I though nothing of visiting friends over that side, one of whom actually lived in Brick Lane and another, also south of Bethnal Green Road, feeling as safe as I felt at the Elephant, Surrey Docks or Deptford High Street.
Many dockers commuted across the river to work.
Of course, south Londoners wouldn't venture into pubs like the Blind Beggar but locals were local in those days and people rarely went further much than the end of their street for a drink.
Most people were blissfully unaware of the Krays and Richardson gang until their stories hit the headlines.

Looking back only a couple of things strike me as partisan- South Londoners hated being referred to a cockneys and the arcs of gentrification, East Enders tended to move out to Essex or if Jewish, take the Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill then Golders Green route; while south Londoners usually drifted out to Kent.
To be fair though, it IS a cultural desert south of the river...:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk