Former BAOR warrior dies

Aren't you exaggerating a bit for effect here?
There was constant interaction 'over the water', families from south London did flock to Petticoat Lane, Whitechapel and Poplar markets and even Limehouse before the Chinese re-invented themselves in Soho.

In turn, places like Manzi's the pie & eel shop on the south side were well patronised by East End folk.

As a schoolboy, I though nothing of visiting friends over that side, one of whom actually lived in Brick Lane and another, also south of Bethnal Green Road, feeling as safe as I felt at the Elephant, Surrey Docks or Deptford High Street.
Many dockers commuted across the river to work.
Of course, south Londoners wouldn't venture into pubs like the Blind Beggar but locals were local in those days and people rarely went further much than the end of their street for a drink.
Most people were blissfully unaware of the Krays and Richardson gang until their stories hit the headlines.

Looking back only a couple of things strike me as partisan- South Londoners hated being referred to a cockneys and the arcs of gentrification, East Enders tended to move out to Essex or if Jewish, take the Stoke Newington/Stamford Hill then Golders Green route; while south Londoners usually drifted out to Kent.
No argument with most of what you say. But still today, like the Brummies and the yam-yams, only a few miles apart, the old animosities between north and south still exist. Fuelled by the vast majority of the underground and transport infrastructure firmly in the north, ditto the financial centre, entertainment, museums, street markets, government, tourist centres and royalty.
The time line I was referring to was the 50'S-70'S, as for east enders going to manzi's on the south side, Why? when there were Ell & Pie shops at the Ridley road market, and hackney mare street, you also had blooms in Whitechapel. A host of good nosh shops in brick lane, and stoke Newington high street, and a bloody good salt beef bar at Stamford hill, home of the owner driver taxi drivers. My old manor. I visited the old place last week, just for a few days, to see the folks, first time for years, changed beyond all recognition, that feeling of cohersion that you get in small comunities, that had been in existence for decades, has now gone. The london that I grew up and worked in has ceased to exist, its one big gigantic homogeneous mass of ethnic cultures, faces, smells and traditions, many, totally alien to a 2000 year old founded central city, and collection of original outlying villages, all of which now make up the worlds biggest sprawling open air lunatic asylum.

Some years back the Sun ran a headline slagging off Myra Hindley on the front page, while the centre pages of the same issue were a spread of photos of Grantham opening a supermarket.

Double standards - they were both murderers, but one was glorified by the BBC and the other media.

(Apologies for not taking part in the thread drift)
I guess if the Sun had been around in1945, dear old Den could have won an MM for shooting a German - if my history lessons were accurate, it wS something of a national pastime....at the time. Just shows how environmental circumstances and the extension of opportunity (acting in Dirty Dens case) dictate so much of life - its not merely the outcome of dominant social values or norms.

I guess if the Sun had been around in1945, dear old Den could have won an MM for shooting a German - if my history lessons were accurate, it wS something of a national pastime....at the time.
Acts during war sanctioned by your nation and armed robbery are entirely different scenarios.

He served time for armed robbery ending in murder. Same would have happened in 1945. In 1945 he would have been hanged.

I was just thinking it was over twenty years since the war,you would have thought on arrival in BAOR they would have told him that you're not allowed to shoot Germans anymore, poor training imho.

As most people know, show business and the criminal world are sometimes inter-twined.
There was one well-known singer and actor from the 60s/70s from the East End who came over as a likable character but it was apparently well-known in show business circles that if you got on the wrong side of him, "---- ----* will set his boys on you"

*He's still around though knocking on a bit.
At last, a source on the net which should let ARRSE off the libel hook;

Kenny and the Krays (allegedly)

As OP of this thread, it is definitely about a BAOR warrior who murdered a taxi driver in West Germany. Now, unless Bugsy has murdered a West German taxi driver, stop derailing this awesome thread, cnuts
So.

It's not gone the way you expected.

There's a surprise.

As OP of this thread, it is definitely about a BAOR warrior who murdered a taxi driver in West Germany. Now, unless Bugsy has murdered a West German taxi driver, stop derailing this awesome thread, cnuts
Stupid boy! Bugsy has of course murdered a West German taxi driver...

... he just hasn't yet got round to making the story up and telling the Internet about the single head shot from his Desert Eagle as just retribution for ripping 29 Field Ambulance fellows off with overcharged taxi fares.

The Duke of Wellingtons Provosts strung up thiefs and murderers with emphasis on those attacking French civilians. The Duke didn't want to suffer a guerilla war the way the French did in Spain. I guess they would have strung up Grantham twice!!!