Former army Sergeant jailed indefinitely.

Fireing squad, ready!

fingers_1661 said:
Assuming this bloke wasn't a REME armourer what has his being "a former Army sargeant" got to do with it?
I suggest its because he's used his knowledge from his former honorable profession for ill ends.

A 'look how far the good have fallen' story.

fingers_1661 said:
Stonker said:
fingers_1661 said:
Assuming this bloke wasn't a REME armourer what has his being "a former Army sargeant" got to do with it?
:? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll:
I asked the question from a protectionist stance. Why should the media lead the public to believe that "that Army lot are all a bunch of crooks y'know!"
Because his trade in the Army gave him the skills to convert the weapons. I don't really think it was meant as a broad swipe against the military.

Fair enough! I'm glad they got the guy. But, how about 'nicking' the perverted little pollies and other interlopers who are the real "Lords of War". This guy is small fry.

The arms industry on an international basis is a nice little earner, bringing in far more cash p.a than drugs, people smugling or inter-country prostitution. For an industry to be that big it MUST have big backers. And indeed it does, some of them sit in Westminster and Washington, to name but 2 places. So, whilst I agree with you 100% purplegunner, lets please start chasing and nabbing the REAL sharks!

The_Civil_Civilian said:
fingers_1661 said:
I suggest its because he's used his knowledge from his former honorable profession for ill ends.

A 'look how far the good have fallen' story.
Agreed with the large bit! - Tie-in anything in the news with the tags "Army", "Military" and timely tags "Remembrance" and guarantee yourself more hits. Name of the game these days. See threads various of RBL Poppy boxes going walkabout, charity boxes go missing everyday. Never quite makes the media in the same way, etc.

Posted about this a couple of weeks back Interesting to see the "box of frogs" comment.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=133728.html

They are thrashing that cliche about him being a "dealer of death" though aren't they. He is clearly a scumbag and deserves to go down.

BTW - it says he did 20 years. I'm assuming he actually did his 22 yrs and left with a full pension. Does anyone know whether the state can withold your army pension if you get sent down, or indeed whether they can withold the state pension of someone (over 65 obviously) who gets sent to prison? Just wondering like...

zazabell_012 said:

Fair enough! I'm glad they got the guy. But, how about 'nicking' the perverted little pollies and other interlopers who are the real "Lords of War". This guy is small fry.

The arms industry on an international basis is a nice little earner, bringing in far more cash p.a than drugs, people smugling or inter-country prostitution. For an industry to be that big it MUST have big backers. And indeed it does, some of them sit in Westminster and Washington, to name but 2 places. So, whilst I agree with you 100% purplegunner, lets please start chasing and nabbing the REAL sharks!
I agree untirely but it`s always easier to catch the small fry as is the case with other criminals in the drugs world etc.

According to BBC NEWS | England | Essex | Criminal past of jailed armourer

he's actually officially a convicted walt!

"Described by his own defence counsel Julian Goose QC as a "Walter Mitty character" with a fascination for guns, Alexander, 54, has convictions for arson, causing explosions and passport offences"
I especially love the;

"Police said he had used about 30 aliases. One of them was Franz Bauer - thought to be taken from Jack Bauer, the fictional government agent in the television series "24".
Ex sgt-wish he was CIA-walt?

cant put my hand on it- he looks like some old bald scouse celebrity.

They are thrashing that cliche about him being a "dealer of death" though aren't they. He is clearly a scumbag and deserves to go down.

BTW - it says he did 20 years. I'm assuming he actually did his 22 yrs and left with a full pension. Does anyone know whether the state can withold your army pension if you get sent down, or indeed whether they can withold the state pension of someone (over 65 obviously) who gets sent to prison? Just wondering like...
I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware AFPS payments continue unaffected except where the imprisonment is for a period in excess of 10 yrs for treason or breach of the OSA. Unsurprisingly, no AFPS payments are known to be currently suspended. State pension is suspended. Guaranteed income payments under AFCS continue but pensions under the previous War Pension Scheme are normally withheld if the term of imprisonment is more than 12 months or detention in psychiatric facilities as a result of a criminal conviction.

Because it's the British way, deeply ingrained, to consider someones occupation as relevant. Whenever the police take a statement, for example, they want your name, address and occupation on it. In court they want to know your occupation. The press always include it, unless it's a woman and then it can be "wife of" instead. It's so common place that we hardly notice it. Yet is part of the British snobbery that someone's word or integrity is more valid depending on their job. Don't believe it? well on forms like passport applications you have to get some one to countersign your picture, and they list examples of who can sign it - based on their occupation. Quite frankly, it's time we got over this, but it's too deeply ingrained. In fact if you browse through the archives of the Old Bailey you can see clearly that the occupation is regarded as relevant to someone's honesty. Even though there's tons of evidence to show that occupation doesn't make any difference - some one can still be a Kunt or criminal. Just that they are more likely to get away with stuff. It stands out even more when just about every time a defendant is described as "a gentleman", they get off!

Ok, rant over (class war now brothers!) :)

Just as irrelevant is the fact that he comes from Barling. Near here in fact. Although I don't think the "barling bomber" (look it up) was ever caught so I wonder if that was him too? Funnyily enough the Barling bomber wasn't taken seriously by locals because it's a tiny village, full of elderly people. (They don't seem to realise that elderly people could still have military experience too!)

Latest Threads