Formatting micro SD card problems

Have a couple of micro SD cards. Have the USB thing to connect them to PC but - they are not detected when plugged in.

Have a couple of Linux installation discs I could run in "live" mode but - I've pretty much forgot my way around Linux.
Have 2 Raspberry PIs also, one running Retropie, the other running Raspbian.

I'm suspecting whatever is on the SD cards is corrupted and Windows is simply not detecting it. On the laptop, after about 10 minutes, it detects it but thinks it's the cd drive. It then disappears from the windows explorer tree again.

Any advice on workarounds or how to format via Raspberry Pi / Linux appreciated.

Ta!

@Victorian_Major @Roadster280

If they've been formatted using one of the Linux file systems, Windows won't be able to see it. FAT32 is probably the most widely-accepted and easiest format option, if not as sexy in terms of efficiency or features as some of the others.

I would recommend to simply Google "How to format micro SD cards on Plate-Nazi Linux". Obviously substitute the real variation of Linux that you're using. There'll likely be graphical wrappers for fdisk so you can see what you're doing. Fdisk being the under-the-hood application that does the dirty work.

My advice is NOT to fcuk with fdisk on the command line, because it will do exactly what you tell it to, and if you're not absolutely sure what device you're formatting, it can/will be destructive. Pretty sure the RPi has a graphical format utility on it, but I haven't used mine in a while.

Don't bother updating me to say it worked, 'cos I'm not fcuking interested. However, if you fcuk up your hard disk, please do share :)

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Have a couple of micro SD cards. Have the USB thing to connect them to PC but - they are not detected when plugged in.

Have a couple of Linux installation discs I could run in "live" mode but - I've pretty much forgot my way around Linux.
Have 2 Raspberry PIs also, one running Retropie, the other running Raspbian.

I'm suspecting whatever is on the SD cards is corrupted and Windows is simply not detecting it. On the laptop, after about 10 minutes, it detects it but thinks it's the cd drive. It then disappears from the windows explorer tree again.

Any advice on workarounds or how to format via Raspberry Pi / Linux appreciated.

Ta!

@Victorian_Major @Roadster280
Are you just looking at Windows’ file explorer or have you gone into disk manager and it/they are not showing up there either?

Just file explorer so far. Have "proved" the USB dongle works but connecting a 4GB microSD to it. 16GB one not detected though.

Edit-Not detected in disk manager either

Just file explorer so far. Have "proved" the USB dongle works but connecting a 4GB microSD to it. 16GB one not detected though.
What version of Windows? There might be a limitation on older versions on card size. Seem to remember that from a long time ago. Irrelevant if a newer version.

Windows ...er...10. Have laptop running 7. Same results. Its detected in disk manager as Removable Drvie:G 'no media'.

Put in microwave for 15 minutes.

I had a micro SD card that windows wouldn't recognise, I downloaded and tried a program called GUI Format and it worked. It formatted to FAT32 then I used the windows format tool to change it to NTFS. Link below if you want to give it a try.

Have you got a camera that will take micro sd cards or sd cards (ie pop them in a sd card adapter) then try and format them incamera

tgo

Old-Salt
I had a micro SD card that windows wouldn't recognise, I downloaded and tried a program called GUI Format and it worked. It formatted to FAT32 then I used the windows format tool to change it to NTFS. Link below if you want to give it a try.

That's the badger, as someone else said, linux formatted drives are very oftren not recognised on Windows, that should fix it out, unless of course it's naturally fcuked, give it a go.

I think it might just be fucked. Have tried the link posted above, a couple of Ubuntu lice CDs and Knoppix and...no result. No big deal. I'm too tight to put the log burner on tonight but I reckon I'll get a nice green flame for a few seconds out of it when I do!

I think it might just be fucked. Have tried the link posted above, a couple of Ubuntu lice CDs and Knoppix and...no result. No big deal. I'm too tight to put the log burner on tonight but I reckon I'll get a nice green flame for a few seconds out of it when I do!
Far too simple. Leave it on the counter in the canteen at work (or similar public place where some Womble will have it away). Let someone else waste a few hours trying to format it :)

Far too simple. Leave it on the counter in the canteen at work (or similar public place where some Womble will have it away). Let someone else waste a few hours trying to format it :)
It would funny if it worked for them and they found all his niche grumble flicks starring him and Doris the Alpaca.

It would funny if it worked for them and they found all his niche grumble flicks starring him and Doris the Alpaca.
Are you sure she's an Alpaca and not a Camel?

The new Marine Captain was assigned to a recon company in a remote post in the desert. During his first inspection, he noticed a camel hitched up behind the mess tent. He asks the First Sergeant why the camel is kept there. Well, sir," is the reply, "as you know, there are 250 men here and no women. And sir, sometimes the men have ... urges. That's why we have the camel,sir." "The Captain says, "I can't say that I condone this, but I understand about urges, so the camel can stay." About a month later, the Captain starts having a real problem with his own urges, and asks the First Sergeant to bring the camel to his tent . Putting a stool behind the camel, the Captain stands on it, pulls down his pants, and has sex with the camel. When he is done, he asks the First Sergeant, "Is that how the men do it?" "No sir," the First Sergeant replies. "They usually just ride the camel into town."

W@nkers!! :)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oddbod ARRSE: Site Issues 4
Legs ARRSE: Site Issues 4
BossHogg Gaming and Software 19

Latest Threads