Formation of the British Army

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Lampard, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum guys, seemed most appropriate.
    I'm trying to find the legislation authorising the formation of the British Army, but all i seem to find is the Army Act '55 or the Armed Forces Act '06 which replaces it.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

2. hole!

3. Wiki entry:

"The New Model Army was created in February 1645 by Parliament as it felt that a professional army would be more successful against the king’s army. It was a military unit that was to transform the English Civil War. The Battle of Marston Moor, had been a major victory for Parliament but not totally decisive in the sense that Charles could recover from it. The New Model Army was to change all this. Its commander-in-chief was General Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell was put in charge of the cavalry. Cromwell had already made his mark at the Battle of Marston Moor where his cavalry had done a lot of damage to the king's army"

Job done..!!.. :wink: :wink:

4. I think you have already got the answer. It was the Army Act 1955 that legalised the Army. Of course I expect there were other Acts of Parliament enacted to give legal standing to the British Army before 1955.

5. Try 1660 ish....Restoration of Charles II and all that...

6. Companion to the British Army 1660 by David Ascoli. Soory but I don't have the ISBN

7. I thought the defacto founding of the "British" army was when Queen Anne signed the Act of Union, which brought the English and Scottish armies under the same OPCOM?

EDIT: In fact, now I think about it, if we're talking about "authority for the existence and use of", wouldn't that be the warrants authorising the formation of individual regiments? Since we don't have a "Royal Army", just lots of royal regiments.

8. WAH SENSOR OFF!

The Bill of Rights of 1689 authorised a Standing Army in peacetime - but to be approved by Parliament on an annual basis. In 1707 the Scots joined and it became the British Army.

Nowadays an Armed Forces Bill is laid before Parliament every 5 years covering all 3 Services. It allows the 3 services Discipline Acts to last another 5 years.

BUT they are still subject to an annual Order in Council. No Order, no discipline, no discipline no Forces beacuse there will be no money to pay them!

Good split though - we serve the Crown but are paid for by Parliament who act with the Authority of the Sovereign in Parliament.

WAH SENSOR ON!

9. I seem to recall that for a few days/weeks back in the ‘60s the Army ceased legally to exist as the relevant (annual?) Act of Parliament had not been passed because someone forgot about it or it lost its place in the schedule.

10. And as I understand it the only reason that the politicians get to have any say in the running of it is because she grants letters patent to the Defence Council by Royal Prerogative to delegate the responsibility to them, since technically she's Commander-in-Chief.

11. FFS keep quiet or they'll cut the pension by a couple of pence :D

12. AA1955 is the legislation which gives us Military Law (and allows the service police to investigate civil offences), and places an extra burden of responsibility on mil pers (and dependants and contractors overseas); meaning that soldiers can be investigated for purely military offences in situations where civil law cannot be applied or it would be inappropriate to do so. As for AFA06; training hasn't even started for the RMP yet, and is scheduled for this spring(ish), ready for it's (hopeful) introduction later this year (september(ish)).

13. I question the Sovereign being CinC. I think this may have been wiped in the legislation early last century that founded the War Office and the Army Council and abolished a host of older powers and Royal Prerogatives related to the army (not to mention Horse Guards) (the CinC's HQ not the regt).

The Sovereign does not need to be CinC to issue Letters Patent to create the Defence Council. My understanding is that senior/all? judges are individually created by Letters Patent and the Sovereign isn't the chief justice or something. The good thing about not having a written constitution is that you don't need to worry about lots of documented formality.

14. So we're going with "Companion to the British Army 1660" right?
    That coincides with the wiki article, which i was skeptical of, being wikipedia and all.
    brill, thanks for that guys.
    =]

15. But see QRs para J1.001: