Format for letter to RSM

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by 762baynet, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to write a letter to the RSM re not being able to attend a forthcoming mess function but cant remember how to start/ end the letter, can anyone help?
    Appreciated

2. OI C**T
    not coming your shitty formal dinner would rather eat in the cookhouse with sodexo staff than have the pleasure of dining with you.

dont forget to sign it from your best mate :D :D :D

3. Sir,

I remain, Sir,
    Your Obedient Servant

Volunteer for lots of extra duties including Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, and the wife's birthday, our anniversary, little Maddies birthday etc etc.

4. Deleted for mongness.

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The word obedient should be small o no capital.

6. Cheers Auld Yin, I'm having a ciledysx day.

7. I'm guessing you are putting together a formal letter for him, rather than a fleamail.

Start with:

"RSM Sir,
    Unfortunately, due to..."

End with "yours sincerely" as you know who you are writing to, t'otherwise keep it short & formal.

Yours sincerely,
    signature
    Sgt/SSgt/Wo2 etc [full name]
    Bty/Sqn/Coy...

Anyways, thats how I'd do it.

8. oops too late

9. msr

msr LE

It's 2009, txt him. Start with 'Yo' end with 'l8trs'

10. Put ruler on page? :wink:

I'll get my coat...

11. Sorry, will not be available, will be having sex with your wife/daughter/boyfriend, delete as applicable.

12. That's a good way, but start with ...Sir, as you will already have his name and title in the correspondance address! keep it short and to the point, don't bullshit! no more than 3 paragraphs...Intro ....explain reason....finish!!

Better make the reason a good one, 'cos he will check as i take it from the fact that you feel you need to write a letter in the first place that it is the Mess's Christmas Ball that you cannot attend or a three line whip function!!

hope this helps

K_C

13. JSP 101 tell's you all you need to know about formal correspondance.

14. Linky doodle doo

15. ...but were afraid to ask!