Formality when changing unit??

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ridingcrop, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, has anyone got any idea on the form for when an officer changes unit. CO informed previously, but officially does one need to hand in a letter to thE CO? If so, what is the format? Anything else need to be done?

2. Yes, you need to request in writing a transfer if you're an officer (at least thats how all ours do it). The format seems to be (the now defunct according to jsp 101 - as in its not in there) dear sir blah blah blah, I have the honour blah blah blah.

TA officer transfers are being handled by brigades (as opposed to soldier ones) so it all needs to be by the book

3. ISTR there has been a thread on this previously, possibly relating to msr's change of unit?

Try Search with variations of words likely to appear. "I have the honour to be" should narrow it down.

4. msr

msr LE

Officially no.

Good form would suggest: writing to your old CO and thanking him for your time in his unit and writing to your new CO and telling him when you are starting and how much you are looking forward to serving in his unit.

msr

5. I take it you don't just get a call from your boss' boss along the lines of "trotsky, sorry about this but I have a problem over at blank, get your kit over there you take over as of now", like I have had, three times in three years then.

Trotsky

6. Some people would have taken the hint by now. ;)

7. Yeah working on a change of MY choice for once :D

8. hi,

sorry to drag up an old thread from the dead but how long typically does a transfer take from your co recieving your letter

9. msr

msr LE

If it is a 'permissive' environment you should be able to sort out a deal whereby you train with your new unit and get paid by the old one.

msr

10. more of an otc Taso type deal than a complete transfer

11. msr

msr LE

If you new CO/Adjt haven't already been so pleased to see you that they have ripped your arm off, ask to join another unit.

msr