Formal Letters.

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by pip, May 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. pip

Hey all, just a quick one. It's been a while since I last had to, but need to write a couple of letters of introduction. Was curious as to the correct way to end a letter to WO's, is it the normal "I have the honour to be....." etc. or is that purely the reserve for commissioned officers? Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks.

2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Yep, use the search facility!
  3. Seems a little out-dated, although I assume you're a senior reporting to your next RSM?
    If so, definitely drop the "I have the honour to be etc" and replace it with something more appropriate like "I look forward to being a full and active member of your Mess". That should get you on the Mess Committee pretty sharpish! :)
  4. pip

B_AND_T - I did, however after post after post of people essentially just asking for a letter they could just copy and paste from I looked a little bit like the animation under your name.

Slipperman - No not a senior, but writing to new ASM having been instructed to do as such.
  5. Just finish it wih 'Yours faithfully' if you don't know his name and 'Yours sincerely' if you do. Although why jncos are writing letters such as this always baffles me. But good luck anyway.
  6. The correct format for letters of introduction are laid out in the Army Staff handbook (they used to be in JSP 101) on P144.
  7. Use the old fashioned 'I have the honour to be ......................'

No matter how modern or old fashioned he is this fits.