Forlorn Hope

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Dashing_Chap, Jan 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's this about then? Only found out about it today:

Forlorn hope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When was it last used, any particular regiments which were used more often? Any infamous incidents? Was the term still used in WWII/Dunkirk for rearguard action or on the first wave of D-Day? Do any other countries use this term?

2. Siege of Badajoz in 1812 was a good example. Plenty of looting and pillaging for those who made it that far.
  3. You need some edumacation. I suggest watching the full serious of Sharpe, where in one example there is a splendid example of the forlorn hope.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Funnily enough I bought the full Sharpe Box Set for Ethel Jnr at Christmas and he and I are now watching them together. A very worthwhile buy and one of the best Christmas presents that you can buy for yourself via someone else!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Isn't that the one where the very young Lt leads an assault on a breach, and refers to the men as 'Forlorn Hope'?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dyas and The Stormers!!

7. I lik the idea of transliteration giving us Forelorn hope from Dutch verloren hoop, and adapted as "lost troop", from the description of the mission the idea of losing your hoop has quite a modern resonance.

I suspect the term goes back to the C16th.
  8. And is absolutely Harry Shiters while doing so. We kept up the tradition of being drunk in the Skins...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I always thought that it was a "nickname" of a regiment in the English Civil War
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The term was certainly used in the English Civil War. German has 'die verlorene Hoffnung'.
  11. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that any forlorn hope survivors were awarded a badge of honour. Some sort of laurel leaf affair worn on the sleeve cuff.
  12. two books worth a read, cover some of this Redcoat and The recollections of rifleman Harris.

13. In the true story of Badajoz, a young Ensign of the 95th was leading the Forlorn Hope, he actually survived, unsure if he went onto becoming a General?
  14. a laural wreath with VS in it standing for Valiant Stomer I think
    • Like Like x 1