Forgotten Voices of the Falklands War, An Ungentlemanly Act?

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by chrisg46, May 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Just started reading this promising looking book, and as usual thumbed through the pictures. One near the beginning of the book (i forget which page) is of the marines who got captured after the initial invasion, and is captioned as Naval Party 8901 after capture, or similar. Picture of a bunch of marines sat in a field under guard.
    Now my query is this... i recently watched an ungentlemanly act, and noticed a similarity between the marines picture in the book, and the actors in the film. Upon closer examination, i am pretty certain that this picture is not legit, as i reckon i can spot the guy who plays Major Norman (Bob Peck?)...
    Am i right?

2. Our rifle club supplied some extras for that programme. If you can post the photo I'll give it the once over to see if I recognise anyone.

3. Brilliant TV Play

Remember watching this on TV years ago, after getting Surround sound.

Was diving for my webbing during the fire fight.

:oops:

4. I saw it years ago - excellent. When the firefight started I damn nearly dashdowncrawlobservesightsfire'd across the living room and I'm ex RAC, for heaven's sake. Two further bits that stick in my mind are the CPL in the OP with his ear-defenders on "to protect (his) high tones" and then later, after the initial firefight, when the argies were yelling "Time to give up, Meester Hont" and CSGT Bill Muir yells back: "Fcuk off, you argie bar-stewards!"

Classic.

5. I luved it when Muir went into the FIDF HQ and found what looked like the Port Stanley ACF making Molotov Cocktails. He throws out the press with the immortal words "Sir FCUK OFF!!"

The Mike Norman/Bob Peck speech to the troops at the briefing was a classic of its kind. Peck was totally beleviable and I felt a shiver run down my back the first time I saw it.

Trotsky

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

7. Great film and a shame it is largely unknown by the public.

8. BFBS TV is showing several Falklands films and programmes at the moment, if you're serving overseas:

Tonight, 2120CET, Sea of Fire

This Friday, 8th June
    21.30CET An Ungentlemanly Act
    2340CET Remember The Galahad

Wednesday 13th Hune
    2200CET Tumbledown
    (preceded by interview with Robert Lawrence on BFBs Reports at 1830CET

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

For reasons beyond my time to explain a had 40 yank mil on a coach for about 8 hours and I was IC bus (bus x1, complete with VCRx1 and TVx2). I popped Ungentlemanly Act on for the yanks. I think they were happy enough, obviously the whole surrendering thing is a bit naff (but I explained that you couldn't get much fight out of an RM unless he'd had a skinful first) and they accepted that. I fear some of them were also routing for the Argie SF, walt barstewards...

10. An RM oppo knows Cpl Lou Armour and said the actor who played him was spot on in all respects. I seem to recall Mike Norman was military advisor and the lead actors playing booties spent time with the real thing.

Great film, very believable bootnecks and I was taking cover when the tracer was coming in. (A couple of continuity problems but still great)

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

share the continuity errors? I didn't spot them and Mrs H tells me I am the King of (Being) ****...

12. Pleasure Mr H.

Ex booty Jim Fairfield (?) Corporal Armour and long haired Geordie booty have just been shooting at some Argie Marines. Lull in fighting, one view has JF with beret, next instant negative beret (or vice versa).

Dawn, Argie Marines launch final assault on GH. Naval Party stands to. Just after Cpl Armour tells matelot to STFU, close up sees Cpl Armour put his back sight up. 'twas already up.

Who is king of (being) ****? I'll get my anorak.

13. We watched this film in the Falklands module of the history degree course I am doing.

That means our lecturer gave around 10% of our total contact time just to this!

I was the only one who had seen it, and it did give the young students a feel for the islands, PS, the Kelpers, the military and the war, so a useful scene setter and it got them thinking.

Well done Mr T*****t!

I was told that the tracer effects in those pre-cgi days were done by hand painting each frame of film! Good effort, the production company.

14. Maybe he just took his beret off v. quickly!! :roll:

15. Completely wonderful film. Astonishingly accurate – everything from what was said on the Falklands Radio to taking out the airfield’s beacon by a baha’i.