Forgotten gems

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by luke, Dec 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since I've been in the army and got myself a laptop for convenience sake, my desktop PC has been forgotten back at my parents house.

Although the laptop spec ain't great, it has forced me to revisit some games from a few years ago, since they're the only ones that run.

Despite the anguish of Final Fantasy 7 not working, I've been enjoying System Shock 2, Day of Defeat (the original, non-'source' version), Team Fortress Classic, Command and Conquer Generals, and Worms World Party.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Rainbow Six

3. Anything early delta force

4. The first version of IGI was pretty good, as was MDK.

Both will run on low spec machines that don't have a ninja graphics card.

5. Download and play the PC version of Elite, but as said before the original Rainbow 6, Command and Conquer games, Delta Force or if you can get hold of it one of the original close combat games.

Regards

6. Google Arcade Classic Arcade Pack and download it. It's a tiny file (less than 400k!).

Pacman
    Asteroids
    Pong
    Snake
    Space Invaders
    Tetris

They are the only games a man should ever need on his laptop. Along with solitare of course

7. Half-Life, Max Payne 2, Thief 1, Thief 2, Max Payne, Ravenshield, hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Deus Ex --> all of them are pre-2004 and are FPS-type games (though Deus Ex and Thief have elements of RPG)

Also, Morrowind, Diablo and Diablo 2 (RPGs)

For even older games (Dos) try Duke Nukem 3D. That is one of the most inventive FPS I've ever played. Even today, many games pale in comparison. If you can get others to install and play it multiplayer, you'll have a blast.

Oh, and for Strategy Games, as opposed to RTS, try Colonization and Lords of the Realm 1.

8. Wolfenstein - Return to Castle WS will run on a P III, 750 MHz. Fantastic game.

9. Red Alert. Create an army and frag everything!

10. Doom anyone?

11. Max Payne I & II
    Ghost recon 1
    F22 Lightning II

The daddy is Far Cry, though it doesn't classify as an oldy I suppose

12. pocket tanks

i've known lads to have pocket tank competitions going

13. Microprose European Air War.

The business.

14. UFO: Enemy Unknown.

The biz.

Available here