Forgotten gems

luke

War Hero
Since I've been in the army and got myself a laptop for convenience sake, my desktop PC has been forgotten back at my parents house.

Although the laptop spec ain't great, it has forced me to revisit some games from a few years ago, since they're the only ones that run.

Despite the anguish of Final Fantasy 7 not working, I've been enjoying System Shock 2, Day of Defeat (the original, non-'source' version), Team Fortress Classic, Command and Conquer Generals, and Worms World Party.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Download and play the PC version of Elite, but as said before the original Rainbow 6, Command and Conquer games, Delta Force or if you can get hold of it one of the original close combat games.

Regards

Google Arcade Classic Arcade Pack and download it. It's a tiny file (less than 400k!).

Pacman
Asteroids
Pong
Snake
Space Invaders
Tetris

They are the only games a man should ever need on his laptop. Along with solitare of course

Half-Life, Max Payne 2, Thief 1, Thief 2, Max Payne, Ravenshield, hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Deus Ex --> all of them are pre-2004 and are FPS-type games (though Deus Ex and Thief have elements of RPG)

Also, Morrowind, Diablo and Diablo 2 (RPGs)

For even older games (Dos) try Duke Nukem 3D. That is one of the most inventive FPS I've ever played. Even today, many games pale in comparison. If you can get others to install and play it multiplayer, you'll have a blast.

Oh, and for Strategy Games, as opposed to RTS, try Colonization and Lords of the Realm 1.

Red Alert. Create an army and frag everything!

Max Payne I & II
Ghost recon 1
F22 Lightning II

The daddy is Far Cry, though it doesn't classify as an oldy I suppose

pocket tanks

i've known lads to have pocket tank competitions going

Microprose European Air War.

The business.

gingwarr you barsteward i was going to post that. Absolutely cracking game and available as abandonware now so totally free.

I recommend you get a DOS emulator as the windows MOD for it can be a bit unstable and cause the game to crash at critical moments.

Golden Axe and Shinobi are out there too.

outcast
unreal
soul reaver
armed & dangerous
judge dredd
codename outbreak
red faction
TETRIS :D

Trickshot Pool. Awesome ball physics, one of the few pool games that it is actually possible to think three shots ahead (and play them that way too).

you can't beat the Close Combat series. CC5 available for less than a fiver, add life to it with Okinawa and Gold Juno Sword (brit D Day) downloads. you can play it on a P266 with onboard graphics for goodness sake, as long as you're running at least Windows 95. :)

and still unbeaten as tactical wargames go.

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
you can't beat the Close Combat series. CC5 available for less than a fiver, add life to it with Okinawa and Gold Juno Sword (brit D Day) downloads. you can play it on a P266 with onboard graphics for goodness sake, as long as you're running at least Windows 95. :)

and still unbeaten as tactical wargames go.
Couldn't agree more. I've played CC since CC2 ABTF, have done all the games since plus many of the mods (including CC RAF Regt!). There is a CC (RMAS) coming out soon. Okinawa and Stalingrad mods are superb, but I'm currently fighting my way through GJS.