Forgetting your firearm

shaka

Old-Salt
Belfast 70/71 4 month tour, a mobile patrol stopped at a chippy on the Falls and left an SLR propped up at the counter. By the time they realised their error and hot footed back to the chippy weapon was gone and never recovered. The soldier who lost the weapon went to Colly for a long stay and the Ptl Comd paid a heavy fine IMHO he got off far too lightly. Same tour a young Subby decided to replace his 9mm pistol service lanyard with a thin silver one his father had given him, his pistol was "lost" during a heavy riot again on the Falls,all he was left with was about two inches of said silver chain. Suprise surprise he did not do Colly not even sure he got fined .What made it worse was that the Coy had an excellent tour up until these two f*** ups but we soon lost our name.

Bushrider

Old-Salt
Late seventies, exercise in Germany someone lost a SMG to this day I do not know who! At the time an air corps unit attached to an Armoured recce Regt HQ. Every one on parade at silly o’clock in the am. Weapons inspection! Certain pilot of rank keeping well back as a very flustered RSM went up and down the ranks inspecting ALL weapons. Turns out the pilot had left his personal weapon in the armoury and holstered a toy pistol that resembled a 9mm. SMG was found after a few hours. At breakfast the RSM was in a better frame of mind!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
VCP in markets, Time to go. Everyone bails out.

'Oh foo.!'. wheres my gun'.

Round the block and there it is sitting up against the boot of a parked car.

An interesting little stat from the German forces. Since their post war formation in 1955 a total of 40,000 weapons have been mislaid. The actual term used was "Fehlbestand" which covers a whole variety of sins ranging from lost, to no idea where it is. Whatever the cause that's an awful lot of iron that cannot be accounted for. To some extent that doesn't surprise me a lot. While stationed at RAF Wildenrath I took part in two Bundeswehr training exersizes in 91 and 92. The place was some disused Nike site in the Eifel. We were all issued with Bundeswehr G3s, the procedure was very simple, a 4 tonner stuffed full of weapons was located next to the accomodation and we simply rolled up signed a record book, took the rifle and off we went. No check of identity, so if any of us had legged it with the weapon then the only trace would have been an illegible signature. It was winter and very dark when we collected the weapons so signing was a bit hit and miss.

Fort Monagh. West Belfast 1977 - weapons routinely left unattended in accomodation blocks while blokes went to meals etc. No one said anything.
Same at North Howard Street Mill; weapons left in racks in the room we slept in, no problem either. It was a high security place though.

But everyone got annoyed when I left one unattended in a sangar on an ex.

Coming home after endex, I was at the rear of a convoy heading back to camp. (4 ADSR, Hereford.) when I came across a stranded 4 tonner. Hopped out the wrecker with my Small Metal Gun and inspected the wagon. He'd run out of Derv. I hung my SMG over the fuel filler neck and started pouring in a Jerry can whilst my oppo bled the injectors.

She fired up and I waved a cheery goodbye to the grateful crew as they sped off into the distance.

Getting back into my waggon I realised my weapon was still swinging around the fuel filler.

I could see the Bedford in the distance but couldn't catch up. It pulled further and further away.

At any junction, a civvie could of just unhooked the sling and buggered off.

I got back to camp and headed for the vehicle park. Nobody about, so I casually retrieved the weapon, handed it in at the armoury and bought my oppo beer all weekend for his silence.

That was a horrible, horrible drive.
What were you driving, that couldn't catch a 4 tonner? Chieftain?

An interesting little stat from the German forces. Since their post war formation in 1955 a total of 40,000 weapons have been mislaid. The actual term used was "Fehlbestand" which covers a whole variety of sins ranging from lost, to no idea where it is. Whatever the cause that's an awful lot of iron that cannot be accounted for. To some extent that doesn't surprise me a lot. While stationed at RAF Wildenrath I took part in two Bundeswehr training exersizes in 91 and 92. The place was some disused Nike site in the Eifel. We were all issued with Bundeswehr G3s, the procedure was very simple, a 4 tonner stuffed full of weapons was located next to the accomodation and we simply rolled up signed a record book, took the rifle and off we went. No check of identity, so if any of us had legged it with the weapon then the only trace would have been an illegible signature. It was winter and very dark when we collected the weapons so signing was a bit hit and miss.
About 20 years ago a taxi driver in Jerusalem stopped at a parking lot opposite the central bus station for a breather, not too far away from a similar kind of IDF truck from which reservists were being issued M16s. Being an IDF reservist himself he became concerned at the evidently negligent way the business was being conducted, so he joined the queue and sure enough was issued a gat in return for his scrawl on a chit. He then tried to find the officer in charge to notify him and make him aware of the security risk. The rupert was not amused and called the police. Having done what did for the best reasons the taxi driver informed the media and the rupert calmed down.
Arriving for single training day for my reserve battalion at the Wingate Sports Institution, we were issued M16's off the back of a truck without being asked to show ID or sign anything at all - bizarre. It's not surprising armies lose so many weapons.....

I do remember a certain time, near Dortmund, when my Regt. "Left" a 40/70 Bofors unattended in a public road lay-by, while the AEG tractor and crew helped with a bogged-down Genny

Our CO was not amused when contacted. I can't remember if it was the Polizei or monkeys that got in touch, but our BK got a very uncomfortable interview, sans coffee and bikkies. Our BC was with the CO at the time.

Nomad1382

War Hero
From the 2019 Manual for Court-Martial R.C.M. 1003(c)(1)(C) :
(2) Based on rank of accused.
(A) Commissioned or warrant officers, cadets,
and midshipmen.
(i) A commissioned or warrant officer or a
cadet, or midshipman may not be reduced in grade by
any court-martial. However, in time of war or national

emergency the Secretary concerned, or such Under
Secretary or Assistant Secretary as may be designated
by the Secretary concerned, may commute a sentence

of dismissal to reduction to any enlisted grade
So it can happen but it have to a pretty exceptional case to reach the level of a Secretary or designated person to commute the sentence. Drunk driving and forgetting the weapon don't quite cut that.

NI-EX-MEDIC

War Hero
An old lad I worked with left his RUC issued useless Walther ppk crow scarer on top of the cistern in the shitter and I went in and seen it and stuck it in my locker being an apprentice of about 6 months and did know what to do. Went to my Journeyman and told him that I had it. He went and seen the part time RUC officer/asshole/complete bollox christian hypocritical Ian Paislely loving C888 and he somehow turned it round that it was my fault. But glad to say it was one of those ones I never let him forget for about 15 years until he retired.

Tool

LE
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but in not quite the same vein:
We were doing water training (get troep - infantryman - to wrap kit in shelter, tie tightly, place R1 - SLR equivalent - across the top, float serenely to the other side of the obstacle). Said obstacle was a tributary of the Vaal River, one of the biggest rivers in Seffrica. In flood. About 15% of our platoon couldn't swim. We lost 6 sets of kit, including 2 R1's, and had 2 troeps almost drown.

Next posting to 38 Fd Sqn in Berlin with less potential to keep getting lost as a wall and a fence stopped him going too much off-grid.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Sligthly off thread, but many years ago an RAF airman travelling by road to Berlin successfully missed the turn off at the autobahn junction and continued on to the polish border, where somewhat bemused East German border troops turned him round and pointed back in the direction of Berlin. There was also the occasional drunk who scaled the wall west to east and ended up getting arrested plus a short spell in an east german prison.

In Previous wars this happened when the army reduced numbers

There have been no "Battlefield Commissions'' to officer rank since the Vietnam war. An Enlisted man can be promoted due to combat actions (Usually 1 paygrade) as per AR 600-8-19 Enlisted promotions and reductions

It is temporary reprieve from Army Leadership school requirements. If you dont complete the appropriate course within 270 days of returning to the CONUS the promotion is revoked.
I was thinking about WWII .
I wonder if any of these people then got their commissioned rank back when Korea kicked off ?

About 20 years ago a taxi driver in Jerusalem stopped at a parking lot opposite the central bus station for a breather, not too far away from a similar kind of IDF truck from which reservists were being issued M16s. Being an IDF reservist himself he became concerned at the evidently negligent way the business was being conducted, so he joined the queue and sure enough was issued a gat in return for his scrawl on a chit. He then tried to find the officer in charge to notify him and make him aware of the security risk. The rupert was not amused and called the police. Having done what did for the best reasons the taxi driver informed the media and the rupert calmed down.
Arriving for single training day for my reserve battalion at the Wingate Sports Institution, we were issued M16's off the back of a truck without being asked to show ID or sign anything at all - bizarre. It's not surprising armies lose so many weapons.....
Complete thread drift here , what's the Israeli tom's nickname for officers ?

Complete thread drift here , what's the Israeli tom's nickname for officers ?
we occasionally used the radio code word for officer, which is "Barzilan", which translates as Ironman, referring to the metal rank emblems on officer dress uniform epaulettes.
More common and convenient was to use the military acronym for an officer's role (similar to the way CO or OC are used).
I'm wondering whether the fact all teeth arms officers started as conscripts in the ranks has a bearing on the fact we don't have words like "rupert", which has a whiff of class distinction about it.....

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but in not quite the same vein:
We were doing water training (get troep - infantryman - to wrap kit in shelter, tie tightly, place R1 - SLR equivalent - across the top, float serenely to the other side of the obstacle). Said obstacle was a tributary of the Vaal River, one of the biggest rivers in Seffrica. In flood. About 15% of our platoon couldn't swim. We lost 6 sets of kit, including 2 R1's, and had 2 troeps almost drown.
My dad was a cop reservist diver and I remember him going to the Eastern Cape to recover two officer candidates from Oudtshoorn who had drowned doing a dam crossing in the middle of winter in similar rig.

VCP in markets, Time to go. Everyone bails out.

'Oh foo.!'. wheres my gun'.

Round the block and there it is sitting up against the boot of a parked car.
I was just about to post that myself without having read your post, I heard that story at the Gasworks circa 76/77 in that the gat was left behind after loading the Barriers they buggered off only to discover the rifle missing then zipped around the block and grabbed it.