Forgetting your firearm

About 1966, patrolling the East German Border with a UK Border chap, clambering through close vegetation I just noticed my magazine dropping from my Sterling, (it had five rounds in for goodness sake), how lucky was I?

I was fined a weeks pay for leaving a baton gun unattended in a sangar on NITAT training in Germany.

We had one of those proxy bomb attacks - staged obviously - at guard change over, we all flapped and did a runner; me without my baton gun.

There's just no justice; a whole weeks pay (around £250 if I remember rightly), for a poxy baton gun on a training exercise and a boat load of "PIRA have enough weapons without me giving them more", lectures.

The rotten barstewards.

I still lose sleep over that.

D

Deleted 164106

Bullshit, US Officers do not get reduced to enlisted men even via Courtmartial. if the offence is so egregious they are cashiered but not reduced to enlisted rank
Is it possible that you could at some point in the past, or if you had served in the ranks beforehand - and the rules have since changed?

Is it possible that you could at some point in the past, or if you had served in the ranks beforehand - and the rules have since changed?
You can go from commissioned officer to enlisted IF

A)- you have failed to meet educational regulations. IE have to have a degree by certain time BEFORE making captain. You dont make Major without having a degree

B)- Army wide Reduction in Force- revert to former Em rank before commissioning. There has been no RIF for decades.

These are administrative reductions the other poster is claiming it was a negligence reason and the US Army will dismiss an officer as I've shown with the above post.

Niamac

GCM
I read somewhere that officers commissioned in the field , and possibly those awarded wartime commissions could be RIFTED ( Reduction in Force ) , meaning that if they wanted to stay in the Army after the war , they had to accept being reduced in rank , in some cases right down to PFC ?
Perhaps one of our American posters will know ?

There was a sequence in 'The Monocled Mutineer' (1980s BBC drama series) about Percy Topliss, in which an officer was shot by firing squad, after having been reduced to the rank of private. The incident was wholly fictitious as regards Topliss' involvement, but was based on the account of Victor Silvester, then a soldier and later famous band leader who had been one of the firing squad.

A bit of Googling today turned up a book 'The Great War, Myth and Memory', in which it says that Silvester had fabricated his account; only two British officers were shot for desertion in WW1, both were shot as officers and that officers were treated in the same way as enlisted men.
……. But... but Blackadder got away

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
Fatherland 1980's : very unpopular one pip wonder with an attitude giving an O Group in the woods on Crusader '80; bollockings all round for being dirty/ unwashed/unshaven ( 3rd day on a bridge gallop , no sleep apart from between bridging sites in the back of the 432's. Said, deeply unpopular Troopy has slung his small metal gun over the Spartan smoke dischargers, tells the Recce Sgt to be at the next location before him in the Ferret or there'll be a world of pain dumped on the Troop. Recce Sgt eyes baby gat dangling by it's sling and tells the driver to mount up and get going. As the sound of the fine Jaguar-powered c/s fades into the distance, lots of biting of lips as deeply disrespected Troopie starts panicking/blubbing as the chinless wonder with wobbling lip ask pleadingly if anyone has seen his PW?

Recce Sgt instantly elevated to hero status as he left Troopie sweat until End-Ex is called. Back at kaserne via Aldi with a panzer full of Dortmunder courtesy of chinless wonder.
OC makes executive decision that Troopie's career will be best served by pastures new. Next posting to 38 Fd Sqn in Berlin with less potential to keep getting lost as a wall and a fence stopped him going too much off-grid.

I read somewhere that officers commissioned in the field , and possibly those awarded wartime commissions could be RIFTED ( Reduction in Force ) , meaning that if they wanted to stay in the Army after the war , they had to accept being reduced in rank , in some cases right down to PFC ?
Perhaps one of our American posters will know ?
In Previous wars this happened when the army reduced numbers

There have been no "Battlefield Commissions'' to officer rank since the Vietnam war. An Enlisted man can be promoted due to combat actions (Usually 1 paygrade) as per AR 600-8-19 Enlisted promotions and reductions

It is temporary reprieve from Army Leadership school requirements. If you dont complete the appropriate course within 270 days of returning to the CONUS the promotion is revoked.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
You are a LIAR flat out then

AR 600-8-24 covers Officer transfers and separations no mention of reduction in rank of a commissioned officer

In addition Commissioned Officers take an oath of Officer not enlistment. IF their commision is ended they no longer have an obligation to serve and are dismissed.

In addition under the UCMJ non judicial punishment for commissioned Officers-
(b)Subject to subsection (a), any commanding officer may, in addition to or in lieu of admonition or reprimand, impose one or more of the following disciplinary punishments for minor offenses without the intervention of a court-martial—
(1)upon officers of his command—
(A)
restriction to certain specified limits, with or without suspension from duty, for not more than 30 consecutive days;
(B)if imposed by an officer exercising general court-martial jurisdiction or an officer of general or flag rank in command—
(i)
arrest in quarters for not more than 30 consecutive days;
(ii)
forfeiture of not more than one-half of one month’s pay per month for two months;
(iii)
restriction to certain specified limits, with or without suspension from duty, for not more than 60 consecutive days;
(iv)
detention of not more than one-half of one month’s pay per month for three months;
*yawn*
This was in 2003, in a kinetic environment - possibly the officer with the stars on his shoulders exceeded his authority?, I couldn't say, not having been part of the American Farces...

*yawn*
This was in 2003, in a kinetic environment - possibly the officer with the stars on his shoulders exceeded his authority?, I couldn't say, not having been part of the American Farces...
Yawn you're still a liar, the US Army doesn't just change regs daily boyo. And a G.O who exceeded his authority and did this would be national news and himself would be cashiered

just admit you told a porky like a man if you're able, blanket stacker

Half a life time ago I was the SSgt Artificer Weapons in an armoured infantry battalion. Neither I or my armourers got to repairs any weapons on exercise so I was always given the job of covering the military side of the LAD - guard rosters checking cam, defence positions, stand to weapons checks and advance party recce. I also made sure that all weapons were on bodies and not left lying around.
We had a WO2 Vehicles Artificer who was generally disliked. I'd had a number of run ins with him, all of which I'd won. He had a habit of trying to interfere in what was done in my armourers shop which was nothing to do with him.
At the start of the major Autumn exercise my OC called me in and I was informed that I was responsible for the warry side of the LAD and the WO was responsible for the command post, outside of the CP he was not to interfere.
The lads were switched on when it came to having their guns with them all the time and rarely needed chasing so when I went around the location late at night and found a small metal gun hanging on the door handle of a 432, door closed and locked, I did what I always did, I picked up the gun and took it away with me, to wait for someone to claim it.
It was claimed, by the WO2. He went ape, ranting and raving about me taking his gun. When I asked him what he would have done if he'd found a Craftsman's rifle left unattended he went quite.
Off hand I don't think he came out of the CP for the rest of the exercise.
Sadly he was a poor leader whose attitude was do as I say, not what I do.
I was posted not long after but the grape vine said that the CO of the battalion had told OC LAD that he wanted him posted ASP, why is not known but he'd continued to upset someone somewhere along the line.

GrumpyOG

Old-Salt
@dingerr can confirm, but I'm sure that if the Ammo Techs make your car "go away", your insurance will not pay out.
Unless things have changed massively since I joined 2 Civ Div the insurance company will eff you off at the high port, as will Civ Pol and MoD!
Always remember an elderly lady in tears on the local news because her Metro came a distant second to the Mk8 wheelbarrow I sent down the road (she carefully lined it up outside the guardroom windows of an RAF station and then got in a second car and shot off at speed!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Issi

War Hero
I was on a night nav exercise in the middle of the Brecon Beacons,with the TA, when one of our girls fell into a bog and also launched her SA80 into said bog.
Despite much floundering around by many concerned bods, it was never found (as far as I know).

I never mislaid a gun, but nearly took off from Aldergrove with a gimpy, but left all of the rounds in the Ops room.

I was fined a weeks pay for leaving a baton gun unattended in a sangar on NITAT training in Germany.

We had one of those proxy bomb attacks - staged obviously - at guard change over, we all flapped and did a runner; me without my baton gun.

There's just no justice; a whole weeks pay (around £250 if I remember rightly), for a poxy baton gun on a training exercise and a boat load of "PIRA have enough weapons without me giving them more", lectures.

The rotten barstewards.

I still lose sleep over that.
Fort Monagh. West Belfast 1977 - weapons routinely left unattended in accomodation blocks while blokes went to meals etc. No one said anything.

Not a firearm, but arguably worse. Sometime in the late 70s a Luftwaffe F4 lost a Sidewinder by means unknown. It had taken off with missile attached and landed about 1 hr later minus missile. It was eventually found in a wooded area after an almost panic stricken and intensive search, which involved retracing every inch of the route flown. It was feared that as it was a new model it simply had to be found before it got into the wrong hands, eg Sov or East German.

A slight drift to the thread... Sorry.
Late 70's - Colchester - REME attd to RA regt. On Orderly Sgt duty - must have been a Sunday. Doing rounds just for something to do. Checking the Bty armoury doors - quick pull. Lo and behold one of them swings open! JFC! Gun racks unchained + others same. Not far from g/room so belt round there and get them in a tizz. Anyroad, seems arms storeman in early hours to check out a det going somewhere. For some unknown reason he did not rechain, lock the door/ set the alarm. Being a bit of a lazy REME sod, did not take it further - apart from his BSM.
Another Sunday - ffs - called to guardroom. Sgt - this civvy has just brought this in he dug up from his garden. It was in the end, thankfully, an old practice grenade. Slight flap & Bomb lads called to check out etc. Thing was - he'd wire brushed it before bringing it to us....

Latest Threads