Forgetting your firearm

The pistol I had in Afghanistan never felt secure in its holster, regardless of what I tried, eventually I had a holster/belt arrangement and only ever wore it on manual approaches. All other times it sat in the top of my daysack - that is until one day we had to clip our daysacks onto the bar armour. My eyes were glued to the cameras hoping and praying my daysack didn’t drop off the back of Mastiff, fortunately it didn’t. After that it stayed in the armoury, it was extra weight and I could hit sod all anyway.

Not a firearm, but arguably worse. Sometime in the late 70s a Luftwaffe F4 lost a Sidewinder by means unknown. It had taken off with missile attached and landed about 1 hr later minus missile. It was eventually found in a wooded area after an almost panic stricken and intensive search, which involved retracing every inch of the route flown. It was feared that as it was a new model it simply had to be found before it got into the wrong hands, eg Sov or East German.
Something similar happened in 2018

Losing firearms? Just rifles etc? Army load of light weights. If you're going to lose something do it in style....

this case SNEB pods, each containing 19 x 68mm rockets. I'm not sure if the pods were ever recovered as they went ballistic and buried themselves somewhere in the Lincolnshire countryside.
View attachment 464077
I'll just leave this here

Last edited:
I read somewhere that officers commissioned in the field , and possibly those awarded wartime commissions could be RIFTED ( Reduction in Force ) , meaning that if they wanted to stay in the Army after the war , they had to accept being reduced in rank , in some cases right down to PFC ?
Perhaps one of our American posters will know ?
In the book Chickenhawk the author told of a former officer reduced to the ranks after WW2 in that way. ISTR that they referred to him in his previous rank out of respect.
(Just had a scan through my copy and can’t see anything so it might be a different book).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
Circa 2000's I was a WO1 (not RSM I hasten to add) in a tri-service unit . CO asks me to organise a 2 day/1 night range day/night NAVEX etc for the desk bound guys and girls (inc some fruity RAF WAAFS etc) and various other RAF and Army types we had in the Unit. No dramas says I, piece of cake this.

We also had a Hereford WO1 attached to us who said he would meet us at Sennybridge with some foreign weapons and ammo etc to jazz up our jolly 2 days out of camp. Just gets better thinks I, the guys will love this.

Foggy, misty February morning on a remote Sennybridge range and I am waiting for, lets call him 'Pete', from H to rock up with a couple of muckers (I assumed) and a couple of vehicles (I assumed) with the foreign gats in one and the ammo in another. How wrong was I.

Spluttering and belching over the distance came a bog standard Vauxhall Astra Estate literally straining at the axles with the weight of what I truly hoped wasn't all the guns and ammo. Once 'Pete' eventually made it to us and the car collapsed in a heap, yep, sure enough, 'Pete' starts off loading more foreign weapons from the boot then I had ever seen before (at least he made some effort to cover them up with a blanket). Of course the back seat was safely reserved for all the thousands, and thousands........and thousands of rounds of ammo he had brought with him. He had driven from H to Sennybridge utterly on his own with enough guns and ammo to overthrow HMG in a Vauxhall Astra Estate.

CO gives me a look, I am thinking 'right, just blat all the ammo off ASAP so I only have 1 problem (the guns) to worry about'! And sure enough after a brilliant day of firing there are no rounds left so all I have to do is secure all the weaponry back into the Astra for the night (with an RAF 'guard' asleep in the passenger seat) while we do our night NAVEX and 'Pete' goes to the pub.

Next day it's ENDEX, gats are all accounted for and 'Pete' rattles off back to H with his private, mobile armoury. I drive back to camp with CO thinking this shouldn't do my LE commissioning aspirations any harm at all, the guys and girls had a great 2 days out.

Following morning:

CO - WO1 SB, my office now please.
Me - ****.
CO - (once in his office) Great 2 days yesterday WO1 SB but 2 pistols are not accounted for back at the armoury in H. You were OIC EX remember? You may want to contact 'Pete' and find them?
Me - Faaaack.

After 5 hours of frantic phone calls to 'Pete' what eventually transpired was as he was off loading back at the armoury an utter belter of an RLC storeman/armoury type had 'transferred' said 2 pistols from 'Petes' car directly into his car. These were then taken back to his room on the base. 'Pete' after much chatting with QM and others, and who as you would expect had very big minerals, organised a sneaky surprise search (doors kicked in) of this twats room with a gaggle of his oppo's. They not only found the 2 pistols in his bunk (greedy cnut) but just about 1 of every single shiny item you could imagine; NVGs, latest webbing, body armour, knives, the list was endless.

End state - Storeman git is 24 hour posted but no discipline (to my best knowledge) as it was too much a can of worms to open. 'Pete' carries on normal jogging as ever (coolest, unflappable bloke I have ever met) and I look back over the worst 5 hours of my fairly mediocre career to date which seemed to last a lifetime.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Paul Young in the 80s Walt
That was after nearly 2 months with no access to a Barbers (apart from a mad ex-ParaBat bloke who wanted to cut it with a multitool)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
That was after nearly 2 months with no access to a Barbers (apart from a mad ex-ParaBat bloke who wanted to cut it with a multitool)
In SWA ?
You don't remember the name ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Something similar happened in 2018

Ozmate F-18 lost a dummy Sidewinder going into Darwin while I was there around 2001. Apparently went through some blokes garage roof and wrecked his HiLux bakkie.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ozmate F-18 lost a dummy Sidewinder going into Darwin while I was there around 2001. Apparently went through some blokes garage roof and wrecked his HiLux bakkie.
That's something Clarkson should have tried.

jg505

Old-Salt
Again, not a weapon per se, but in 97, whilst working at the Air Warfare Centre, I was tasked to organise a trial to determine which would be the best weapon (machine gun) to fit on our Support Helicopters.

Trial Sengreen commenced in the summer of 97 at the West Freugh range. Really good couple of weeks, with various calibre weapons being fitted to various platforms. The most entertaining was the GAU19 gattling gun that was fitted to the Chinook, the noise was incredible.

Anyhoo, I think it was a Puma that, whilst just coming to the end of his run, had to make an emergency maneuver, to avoid a flock of birds. In the subsequent move, a large amount of live rounds 'fell' out of the side door.

Consequently, the range was closed until we searched the outer perimeter until said rounds were found.

I left the AWC shortly afterwards but I was reliably informed that it was this trial that led to the minigun being fitted to our SH fleet. Not too sure if that is true but I'd like to think it was.

GrumpyOG

Old-Salt
Circa 2000's I was a WO1 (not RSM I hasten to add) in a tri-service unit . CO asks me to organise a 2 day/1 night range day/night NAVEX etc for the desk bound guys and girls (inc some fruity RAF WAAFS etc) and various other RAF and Army types we had in the Unit. No dramas says I, piece of cake this.

We also had a Hereford WO1 attached to us who said he would meet us at Sennybridge with some foreign weapons and ammo etc to jazz up our jolly 2 days out of camp. Just gets better thinks I, the guys will love this.

Foggy, misty February morning on a remote Sennybridge range and I am waiting for, lets call him 'Pete', from H to rock up with a couple of muckers (I assumed) and a couple of vehicles (I assumed) with the foreign gats in one and the ammo in another. How wrong was I.

Spluttering and belching over the distance came a bog standard Vauxhall Astra Estate literally straining at the axles with the weight of what I truly hoped wasn't all the guns and ammo. Once 'Pete' eventually made it to us and the car collapsed in a heap, yep, sure enough, 'Pete' starts off loading more foreign weapons from the boot then I had ever seen before (at least he made some effort to cover them up with a blanket). Of course the back seat was safely reserved for all the thousands, and thousands........and thousands of rounds of ammo he had brought with him. He had driven from H to Sennybridge utterly on his own with enough guns and ammo to overthrow HMG in a Vauxhall Astra Estate.

CO gives me a look, I am thinking 'right, just blat all the ammo off ASAP so I only have 1 problem (the guns) to worry about'! And sure enough after a brilliant day of firing there are no rounds left so all I have to do is secure all the weaponry back into the Astra for the night (with an RAF 'guard' asleep in the passenger seat) while we do our night NAVEX and 'Pete' goes to the pub.

Next day it's ENDEX, gats are all accounted for and 'Pete' rattles off back to H with his private, mobile armoury. I drive back to camp with CO thinking this shouldn't do my LE commissioning aspirations any harm at all, the guys and girls had a great 2 days out.

Following morning:

CO - WO1 SB, my office now please.
Me - ****.
CO - (once in his office) Great 2 days yesterday WO1 SB but 2 pistols are not accounted for back at the armoury in H. You were OIC EX remember? You may want to contact 'Pete' and find them?
Me - Faaaack.

After 5 hours of frantic phone calls to 'Pete' what eventually transpired was as he was off loading back at the armoury an utter belter of an RLC storeman/armoury type had 'transferred' said 2 pistols from 'Petes' car directly into his car. These were then taken back to his room on the base. 'Pete' after much chatting with QM and others, and who as you would expect had very big minerals, organised a sneaky surprise search (doors kicked in) of this twats room with a gaggle of his oppo's. They not only found the 2 pistols in his bunk (greedy cnut) but just about 1 of every single shiny item you could imagine; NVGs, latest webbing, body armour, knives, the list was endless.

End state - Storeman git is 24 hour posted but no discipline (to my best knowledge) as it was too much a can of worms to open. 'Pete' carries on normal jogging as ever (coolest, unflappable bloke I have ever met) and I look back over the worst 5 hours of my fairly mediocre career to date which seemed to last a lifetime.
If the RLC storeman is who I think it was he ended up with us in Didcot. Not for very long as he had a visit from, amongst others, MDP and SB who found ALL sorts of weapons, ammo and kit in his room and his mums’ gaff - I think he may still be enjoying a holiday at Her Majesty’s expense (at least I hope so as he was a complete t*at)

If the RLC storeman is who I think it was he ended up with us in Didcot. Not for very long as he had a visit from, amongst others, MDP and SB who found ALL sorts of weapons, ammo and kit in his room and his mums’ gaff - I think he may still be enjoying a holiday at Her Majesty’s expense (at least I hope so as he was a complete t*at)

Oh that‘s just fücking great, post a magpie from one unit with shiny kit to another unit with shiny kit.

GrumpyOG

Old-Salt
What do you mean? The Emperor, PBUH, thought it would be the ideal post as SQMS 821 Sqn for a man of his undoubted talents (cue purple smoke and whiff of sulphur), that, or “give a man enough rope and he will hang himself”!!

What do you mean? The Emperor, PBUH, thought it would be the ideal post as SQMS 821 Sqn for a man of his undoubted talents (cue purple smoke and whiff of sulphur), that, or “give a man enough rope and he will hang himself”!!

I'm sure that made much sense in your head as you wrote that.

For the rest of us? Not so much.

Have another go.

Latest Threads