Forgetting your firearm

Diko

Old-Salt
Cameron’s security guard leaving his forearm in an aircraft toilet reminds me of my first visit to the shooting range. On arriving back at the drill hall we are a Sten missing turns out the ocifer forgot to pick his up and bring it back. Panic sets in and two lads instructed to go find it using tha Austin Champ. Turns out they recovered the stem plus a box of 9mm as well.
Pints all round in the bar that night.

1980 and our first weekend leave after being issued our personal weapons. A nice chap stopped outside the base to give me and two muckers a lift.
I was in something of a daze and also excited about being set free for 48 hours. Eventually we reached the junction that the three of us needed. After we exited the vehicle, the driver pointed out to me that I'd left my Galil propped against the back door where I'd been sitting. I was damn lucky he checked the back seat after we got out and told me. That mistake could have wrecked my military career from the outset. It was a wake-up shock that wasn't too painful at all and I learnt my lesson for the ensuing 23 years of service.

Last edited:
Cameron’s security guard leaving his forearm in an aircraft toilet reminds me of my first visit to the shooting range. On arriving back at the drill hall we are a Sten missing turns out the ocifer forgot to pick his up and bring it back. Panic sets in and two lads instructed to go find it using tha Austin Champ. Turns out they recovered the stem plus a box of 9mm as well.
I must admit, after a recent period on tramadol and being a bit bound up as a result, i felt as though I had left a forearm in the toilet after finally releasing a turd about afoot long and with the girth of a forearm.

How are you still alive grandad ?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Being Cameron's PPO must be the dullest job ever. I'm not sure how you forget to reholster your piece though, given that's your actual job.

Being Cameron's PPO must be the dullest job ever. I'm not sure how you forget to reholster your piece though, given that's your actual job.
well it must in sequences. Cameron forgets his daughter and then someone forgets a gun. Mind I forgot the dog the other day.

You've taken it off to answer the call of nature. Thus reverting to a primal action that you've done since childhood, you let your thoughts wonder for a moment and along with the mechanical actions of pulling your keks up and washing your hands, your mind remains off the job, and Bob's your uncle.

ugly

LE
You've taken it off to answer the call of nature. Thus reverting to a primal action that you've done since childhood, you let your thoughts wonder for a moment and along with the mechanical actions of pulling your keks up and washing your hands, your mind remains off the job, and Bob's your uncle.
Chicksands has form for this

I'm sure you're forgiven.

Try locking your girlfriend/wife and the dog in the boot of your car for an hour. When you let them out, guess which one is pleased to see you!
God I felt awful mind it was only a few paces then something clicked, the dogs missing. I normally leave the baggage in the boot

One of our pilots left his browning at Bessbrook, it was sent to LK on the next cab back. The Ops room must have scoured the mill for every roll of sellotape available to wrap it up. It was tightly wrapped and about the size of a basketball...
Laugh? We nearly shät...

jg505

Old-Salt
Not a weapon but I remember, very early 90s, at Rheindahlen, a young WRAC, having searched the back seat of a German civvy vehicle, later found that her SMG mag, full of rounds, was no longer in her webbing.

All hell entailed but, after, checking the cameras, they narrowed it down to a couple of vehicles. Incredibly that evening, the same vehicle came through, was stopped, and, there, still on the back seat, was her mag.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve posted this dit before:

We’re on Sennybridge doing our HAC phase 1 FTX. One night the whole platoon are moving to an ambush position a few miles away.

As we cross a metalled road the night silence is broken by the unmistakable clatter of an SA80 crashing into the deck.

Our Aussie platoon sgt:

”Which one of you absolute fuckin cuuuuunts was that?”

Silence.

”Right if you don’t own up now I’m gonna make you all do knees to chest until your fuckin eyes bleed.”

Silence.

“You absolute cuuuunts, I cant believe you’re making me do this.”

He lines us all up on the track and walks up the line, shining a torch into our eyes and inspecting each of us to make sure we have our weapon and the sling is on properly.

Everyone is in correct order. Somewhat puzzled he walks up and down the track with his torch looking for the source of the noise.

Sure enough he finds an SA80 on the ground. Someone had evidently kicked it as we were crossing the road. On closer inspection it’s clear that the rifle is not one of ours. The butt number doesn't correspond and it’s painted in a different place.

As we follow the track a bit further, we start to find other random bits of kit. Jerry cans, a box of rat packs, someone’s Bergen etc. etc.

Turns out it was some posh OTC *********. They’d loaded up a Landy trailer with all their kit and gone on a high speed off-roading adventure, totally oblivious to the fact that with every bump, another piece of equipment was falling out.

Luckily they’d left a nice trail for us to follow so we could find them.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
If the Protection Officer had been in Croydon with Dave he would have been tooled up correctly.
Glock in shoulder holster & MPK5 with hollow tip rounds in the poachers pocket of his Barbour jacket

By the way.......
Car parked illegally near East Croydon station this morning got the full RLC Bomb Disposal treatment.
Now destined for the scrappy after drivers side & boot blown in by that brave wheelbarrow.

Hope they give the fecker who left it their a parking ticket too!

If the Protection Officer had been in Croydon with Dave he would have been tooled up correctly.
Glock in shoulder holster & MPK5 with hollow tip rounds in the poachers pocket of his Barbour jacket

By the way.......
Car parked illegally near East Croydon station this morning got the full RLC Bomb Disposal treatment.
Now destined for the scrappy after drivers side & boot blown in by that brave wheelbarrow.

Hope they give the fecker who left it their a parking ticket too!
@dingerr can confirm, but I'm sure that if the Ammo Techs make your car "go away", your insurance will not pay out.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Left my gat at the inlaws place after a rather convivial afternoon visit.
Tucked it down the side of the chair and when we left, it didnt.

Much blushing as FIL passed it discretely over the gate.

Last edited:

Latest Threads