• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Forget the corruption, says Geldof

#1
He is now truly a grade one nonce!

Despite the huge backlash against pumping in even more aid to africa, he continues to bury his head in the sand and think that money alone will solve the problems of Africa.

Fears over corrupt African regimes should not be used to delay aid to the poverty-stricken continent, Bob Geldof said yesterday.

Less than 48 hours after both Tony Blair and George W Bush insisted that corrupt regimes had to be tackled to ensure that aid was not wasted, the Live 8 organiser told them to "get off the corruption thing" and deliver the promised help.


Speaking at the launch in London of the paperback edition of the Government-sponsored Commission for Africa report, Geldof indicated that Africans could not wait for corrupt regimes to be cleaned up. "Africans are simply too poor to stay alive," he said.

Geldof also repeated his controversial request for hundreds of thousands of people to head for Scotland to put pressure on the G8 summit of the world's biggest economies, to be held in Gleneagles next month.

With Britain currently holding the G8 presidency, Mr Blair is determined to use the summit to cement a hugely-ambitious programme of aid for Africa, akin to the United States-sponsored Marshall Plan, which restored Europe after the Second World War.

Anti-capitalist protesters who wanted 30,000 people to march through Auchterarder to the gates of Gleneagles Hotel on July 6, the first day of the meeting of world leaders at the G8 summit, have had their plan turned down by the local authority.
torygraph
 
#2
If we are going to pump in huge amounts of aid money into Africa and at the same time, release them from their debt, we should follow the similar principles as the Marshall Plan in the 40's. If you are a country who follow democratic principles then you will get lots of breaks ansd become wealthy. If you are a despotic regime, you will get nothing.

If we are to see an end to African debt then please, let us not miss an opportunity to start eroding the age old problem of tribalism and dictatorship on that continent.
 
#3
I for one do not minding helping my fellow man but I am damned if my hard earned cash is going to go to this arrse of an attempt to prop up more corrupt and brutal dictators anymore.

"Forget the corruption thing"- well lets just forget the debt that they owe us, let's double the aid and then when they kill and surpress their people more, we only have ourselves to blame.

we will never learn that Africa is going to keeping going in this corrupt and debilitating cycle unless we do something to help, but that would be neo-colonialism now wouldn't it........t@ssers, especially you geldof, what you wanting now a Lordship!!!
 
#4
Interestingly The Marshal plan was in fact made available to the Warsaw pact country including the USSR. It was of course merely a political gesture they new full well that they would never have accepted aid from the evil capitalist west.
 
#5
I'd say Geldof is right to think that corruption should not stop us from aiding Africa. Corruption is certainly a problem but it doesn't fully explain the failure of Africa.

As evidence of this there are east Asian countries with higher levels of corruption than some African countries and yet the Asian countries have much stronger economies. A Transparency International report states that India, Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh have corruption ranks of 83,92,122,133 respectively and yet their growth rate from 1980-2000 is 3.5%,2.4%,3.5% and 2.0% respectively. Ghana, Senegal, Mali, and Malawi have corruption ranks of 70, 76, 78, and 83 respectively and a growth rates of 0.3%, 0.5%, -0.5% and 0.2% respectively. So the more corrupt Asian countries have better economies than the African countries!!!!

Of course I'm not argueing for aid to countries such as Zimbabwe. Clearly, something else is required there. But it is too simplistic to say Africa is corrupt and therefore nothing can be done anywhere in the continent. There are many countries in Africa which we can aid and so long as we apply good auditing then the money will not be squandered. This will ensure our hard earned cash does not prop up some dictator which of course is a very understandable concern.

Tricam.

ps - again these figures are completely robbed from Jeffrey Sachs book "the end of poverty".... a very good read... he almost always backs up his opinions with hard facts... has a fairly scientific approach rather then just spouting sh1te...
 
#6
Let's not forget that a significant percentage of the money raised will go to pay those deciding on whom the remainder is spent.

I don't go much on the chap, but Clarkson had a good point in T. on Sunday this week. He was in, I think, Ethiopia a year after Live Aid, and he asked a villager if her existence was any better. She said "No, but the fellows over there have new guns."

My thoughts and experiences on Africa are well documented elsewhere so I shan't rant on. I won't be donating though - unless it's to buy Geldof and the others a shack on the Ivory Coast for a year.

TW
 
#8
tricam said:
ps - again these figures are completely robbed from Jeffrey Sachs book "the end of poverty".... a very good read... he almost always backs up his opinions with hard facts... has a fairly scientific approach rather then just spouting sh1te...
1. Got anything of your own to say ?

2. Oh silly me ...if it's in Jeffreys book it must be true :roll:
 
#9
at_ease said:
Don't corruption and polititian go hand in hand onlty the scale of it differs. Can anyone name an honest polititian ?
Boris Johnson, he's too dim to deceive. :wink:
 
#11
And they wonder why some of us are cynical:

Live 8 logic attracts criticism

Senegalese star Baaba Maal wrote in The Independent: "I do feel it's very patronising as an African artist that more of us aren't involved.

"If African artists aren't given a chance, how are they going to sell records...?"
"It seems like the great white man has come to rescue us while the freedom fighters never get a mention," said black musician Patrick Augustus.
Campaign group Black Information Link branded the London concert's line-up "hideously white" ...
F 'em.
 
#12
tricam said:
Armourer,

No, just cause its in Sachs's book does not make it true. But if you can point out the flaw in his argument then I'd be interested to hear it?

Tricam.
Why let the inclusion of information and opinion from other sources get in the way of good, old-fashioned, ill-informed pontification? :wink:
 
#13
There are definate advantages to collecting millions and having it in your bank account or an account controled by you.
I am not unsympathetic to people suffering, but I still consider Africa a bad joke and do wonder about corruption.
In Asia is as one commentator said it is 'A Way of Life' but there is something basically wrong with Africa. I still say they have never progressed beyond Tribalisam and the concept of a Nation as we know it is beyond them.
Geldorf and Bono are very nieve but rich people, lets see them on poverty street when they have used the hard earned fortunes to support their fellow man.
john
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#14
Whiskybreath said:
And they wonder why some of us are cynical:

Live 8 logic attracts criticism

Senegalese star Baaba Maal wrote in The Independent: "I do feel it's very patronising as an African artist that more of us aren't involved.

"If African artists aren't given a chance, how are they going to sell records...?"
"It seems like the great white man has come to rescue us while the freedom fighters never get a mention," said black musician Patrick Augustus.
Campaign group Black Information Link branded the London concert's line-up "hideously white" ...
F 'em.

Perhaps if they played music we would listen to instead of that shite they do play.........they might be famous enough to get an invite. That acoustic guitar and bongo crap they call 'world music' is just sh*te.

Nice to see that they think Bob's a cahnt as well though.

Babba Maal? They should get themselves some proper names......... like Snoop Doggy Dog.
 
#15
crabtastic said:
tricam said:
Armourer,

No, just cause its in Sachs's book does not make it true. But if you can point out the flaw in his argument then I'd be interested to hear it?

Tricam.
Why let the inclusion of information and opinion from other sources get in the way of good, old-fashioned, ill-informed pontification? :wink:
Exactly :D
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#16
Jingle Jingle Jingle, twang, twang
We had a goat in our village.......
it was a very nice goat
twang twang twang,
then came the Bwanah man and he shot our goat.
twang twang jingle,
(Big guitar solo, followed by bongo solo and then solo on some instrument made out of old beer cans)
We were not happy as we did not have out goat,
and we cried for years,
his name was Dave
Ooooooooh, Dave the Goat,
(another big slightly out of tune guitar solo..........followed by some strange native calls)

Go Baaba! Tune !
 
#17
sandmanfez said:
at_ease said:
Don't corruption and polititian go hand in hand onlty the scale of it differs. Can anyone name an honest polititian ?
Boris Johnson, he's too dim to deceive. :wink:
Not just honesty but character.

Richard Eyre in the Torygraph 11/06/05 describes a meeting with General Sir Mike Jackson and calls him "a proper grown up". He goes on to say that no politician has ever struck him as a "proper grown up".

Having met a number of MPs, MEPs and "elder statesmen" myself I can only agree with his observation on them as a class!
 
#18
Biscuits_AB said:
Jingle Jingle Jingle, twang, twang
We had a goat in our village.......
it was a very nice goat
twang twang twang,
then came the Bwanah man and he shot our goat.
twang twang jingle,
(Big guitar solo, followed by bongo solo and then solo on some instrument made out of old beer cans)
We were not happy as we did not have out goat,
and we cried for years,
his name was Dave
Ooooooooh, Dave the Goat,
(another big slightly out of tune guitar solo..........followed by some strange native calls)

Go Baaba! Tune !
Biscuits, or should I call you Biggie Tembo? thats definitely a "Bhundu Boys" track. Here, on ARRSE, who'd have thought it! :wink:
 

Similar threads

Top