Forest Fr1ends

When Walter Annenberg, the US ambassador to the UK, met the Queen and told her that he lived in the US embassy "subject to some discomfiture as a result of the need for elements of refurbishing".

I think he meant he was having his house painted.

He was an amiable old duffer and very much an Anglophile - he probably thought that was how everybody in Britain spoke.

One thing's for sure, their brand of English has certainly been bastardised.

One thing's for sure, their brand of English has certainly been bastardised.

Umm... sorry, it's ours that's more mongrel than the Septics. Brit English has the influence of nigh on 250 years of Empire imports; the Septics much, much less; theirs is nearer to original English than ours; plus their version became "standardized" long before ours, theirs having many fewer dialects competing for influence in the main branch.

Umm... sorry, it's ours that's more mongrel than the Septics. Brit English has the influence of nigh on 250 years of Empire imports; the Septics much, much less; theirs is nearer to original English than ours; plus their version became "standardized" long before ours, theirs having many fewer dialects competing for influence in the main branch.
Sacre bleu!

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
There's no such thing as American English.
There's English and Gibberish.

FB_IMG_1642450362955.jpg

The good old days of the shitfest*. And the often accompanying pukefest*. I remember them well. (I try not to, but they won’t fuck off out of my head).

*the childrens’ shitfests and pukefests I am talking about, like in the picture. Not my own alcohol related incidents. Before anyone says anything.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The good old days of the shitfest*. And the often accompanying pukefest*. I remember them well. (I try not to, but they won’t fuck off out of my head).

*the childrens’ shitfests and pukefests I am talking about, like in the picture. Not my own alcohol related incidents. Before anyone says anything.

The joys of poop leakage out the neck of the baby's sleep suit. :)

There's no such thing as American English.
There's English and Gibberish.
I’ll be the first to admit that at times I’m rather fluent in Giberish.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads