Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt statement on the Matthew Hedges case in UAE

What HMG should do if UAE will not free Matthew Hedges?

• Nothing

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Repeat the statement later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Expel UAE diplomats

• Lower level of diplomatic relations

• Break diplomatic relations

• Impose sanctions against the UAE

• Send British navy to the Persian Gulf

• Bomb military bases in the UAE

• Bomb oil fields and other economic objects

• Bomb their cities

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has expressed shock and disappointment at the sentencing of British man Matthew Hedges in the United Arab Emirates.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt statement on the Matthew Hedges case in UAE
I am deeply shocked and disappointed by the verdict today. I have personally raised the case of Matthew Hedges at the highest levels of the UAE government, including during my visit to Abu Dhabi on 12 November. On that occasion, I spoke to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed and Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed.
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-46294457
A Briton jailed for life for spying in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) pleaded guilty when he was confronted with "compelling" evidence, prosecutors say.
Matthew Hedges, 31, always said he was innocent and had been researching the country's security strategy for a PhD.
...in a statement, UAE Attorney General Dr Hamad Saif Al Shamsi, said Hedges had pleaded guilty to all charges after the court presented him with "compelling legal evidence concluded after thorough judicial investigations".
''The defendant confessed in detail to his crimes during investigations whereby he was accorded his full rights and assurances as per the UAE Constitution and state laws to fair and transparent trial,'' he said.
Hedges' family however, said that during the first six weeks of his detention he was interrogated without a lawyer and consular access was unavailable.
During this time he was made to sign a document in Arabic which transpired to be a confession, they said.
"Matthew does not speak or read Arabic," the family added.
What HMG should do in this situation?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sharpen the mangos.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm struggling to see what this has to do with the Ministry of Defence. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads