Foreign Language Syndrome

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Arte_et_Marte, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just heard a really weird piece on the radio (4 FM Cork) about an English woman who woke up one morning and started speaking in a foreign accent.

Very strange wind up me thinks. But no, fuck me, ‘tis true.

She was interviewed and said that she awoke one morning and sounded like an Eastern European, another day it was French, this mornings latest incarnation sounded just like the bird behind the counter at my local Chinese Take-Away.

Apparently she is only the 66th person in the world diagnosed with this unfortunate ailment, which got me thinking…

If you were to awake one fine morning, going about your ablutions in the normal manner, totally unaware that you had been afflicted, whistling along to the fine tune on the radio, and going through the finer details in your head covering that very very important presentation you were due to give at 0900hrs to the very very important Foreign Investors & Company Directors…

What accent would you prefer to blurt out to a stunned audience?

2. German, but only if the foreign investors were from Israel.
    Or Japanese, if the investors were korean.

3. Happens to me most weekends.....wake up on a Sunday morning and talk utter shite.

4. It's one of those new fangled conditions that people have "invented" to try and claim compensation.

Like Asperger's Syndrome, dyslexia, tourettes and gang rape.

5. f*ckin' Welsh butt. Aye. Tidy, like.

6. Thats perfectly legible to me. :)

7. Just had a quick look on google - sounds like a feasible disorder to me - I understood what I read to say that it's not as much that they are mimicking an accent, but brain damage results in difficulty producing sounds/tones etc when speaking - sounding like they are speaking with a different accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_accent_syndrome

:D

8. Brilliant!

(Although you forgot ADHD - invented by lazy parents who can't be arrsed to control their kids.)

9. I want a Norwegian accent.

10. During the period of my Army Service which saw me posted to Aldershot, I often found I was speaking a different language, whenever I arrived at Henrix Pizza shop at 11.30pm. I was absolutely certain that I was saying,

"Good evening warm bread man. May I have a large ham and mushroom pizza, with extra mushroom please?"

Henrix took the liberty of writing down what I actually said to him one Saturday night

"Bllooooooarrggh. LARJAMANMUSHROONWI'EXTRAMUSHYA Bllooooooargh"

He was certain, that when I was bevvied, I was reverting to some sort of proto-Indo-European lingo, which made me feel quite intelligent.

11. I'd like a Cockney accent.

I've always wondered what it feels like to be mentally disabled.

12. Shortly after stopping drinking..... I started to understand conversational French and fancied most gwar birds that cross my path.....

oh... the quest for a french red head.....

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Safa. it makes the words "Oi fcuk of my land or i'll shoot you" actually sound like you mean it as oppossed to west cournty oooarr which makes you sound retarded.

14. Apparently I revert to speaking French (which I've never learnt) when I'm high.

Lying on a hospital trolly in casualty after smashing my shoulder joint into 3 parts. The curtains are pulled back by my mates, to be greeted by me swinging the oxygen mask around my head, saying rather loudly "Bonjour, mes amis", smashed off my tits on morphine, gas, and air.

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

That's hanging around sfub & mit mayo too much!