Foreign Awards

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Dec 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Army officer receives US honour

Lt Col Carolin worked in the Iraqi capital Baghdad
    A British army officer has been awarded a military honour from the US forces in recognition of his work in Iraq.
    Lieutenant Colonel Ray Carolin, who lives and works in Preston, Lancashire, has received the American Bronze Star.

For six months last year Lt Col Carolin was part of a Baghdad-based team working to reassure the people of Iraq about the coalition forces.

The 46-year-old is one of only a few British servicemen to receive the award and says he is "honoured".

He added: "My American commander in Iraq nominated me for this award without me knowing, and it was a complete surprise to receive it.

It was a demanding job... but at the same time it was extremely rewarding

Lieutenant Colonel Ray Caroline
    "I understand that only a few British servicemen have received the Bronze Star, so I feel privileged and honoured."

Lt Col Carolin is married with a 15-year-old daughter and joined the army in 1983.

He has served all over the world, including northern Ireland and Canada. He was in Iraq from June to December in 2003.

He said: "It was a demanding job, working long hours in difficult conditions, but at the same time it was extremely rewarding in making a contribution to the rebuilding of Iraq."

Lt Col Carolin currently works as a joint liaison officers for the Army's 42 North West Brigade, planning for emergencies in the region. He is based at Fulwood Barracks, Preston.

Well done that man.

2. here here, I just hope the good work he was doing is not wasted

3. The Bronze Star is awarded for either heroism in combat or for meritorious
    service in a combat zone. Awards for valor are denoted by a V device.