Foreign Aid

Why not use foreign aid as essentially bribery?

"Hi there, is that the Indian Prime Minister? We hear you are in the market for some new fighter jets/tanks/ships? Now, about that aid we promised you......"

DM said:
The report examined the progress of 28 countries that have received British taxpayers’ money, measuring the impact of aid spending against benchmarks laid down by international organisations.

Of the countries that were sent aid, 12 showed no changes in their measured levels of economic and political freedoms over a decade.
I wonder how the UK fares on those benchmarks. I daresay it could be shown that we have less economic and political freedom than we did a decade or more ago.

NSP

LE
I recall reading something during Brown's tenure at No.11 that he was borrowing heavily from China and then giving an amount similar in value to China in aid. Madness, if true. Why the heck does China need aid, anyway? Or India, for that matter - one of the fastest growing economies, their own space and nuclear programmes and they need aid...? And despite that, the lot of the lower castes is improving how much...?

And that's before we get on to how much monetary aid to African nations ends up making Swiss bankers happy...

Read Dambisa Moyo on 'Dead Aid'. This chap's just repeating what she said forcefully years ago. Unfortunately the benefit of 'aid' is very largely in purely political terms to the donor political groups, nobody else (except the thieves who take much of it). That being the case, making change is an extremely difficult thing to do; viz the ludicrous situation in sending it to India. One or two countries at the receiving end of bilateral aid have told the donors to shove it, but they're the minority as the temptation is too much for the kleptocracies of the 'developing' world.

Has a propaganda overtone but this video of a speech by the Labour Justice Minister in the last Parliament shows the scale of the sums we give to the Nations of the Sub Continent...

Has a propaganda overtone but this video of a speech by the Labour Justice Minister in the last Parliament shows the scale of the sums we give to the Nations of the Sub Continent...

I cannot take seriously any video titled "the True Face of Islam" and its EDL overtones.....

I do hope his "At this rate the whole parliament will be Muslim" was a joke too.

However the numbers are boggling - and he is only mentioning the aid to Muslim nations. Interesting article from a few years ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/datablog/2012/sep/26/uk-aid-money-key-datasets#

I cannot take seriously any video titled "the True Face of Islam" and its EDL overtones.....

I do hope his "At this rate the whole parliament will be Muslim" was a joke too.

However the numbers are boggling - and he is only mentioning the aid to Muslim nations. Interesting article from a few years ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/datablog/2012/sep/26/uk-aid-money-key-datasets#

Who knows if it was a joke but he did highlight the fact that Muslim MP's had increased in every Parliament since 1997. Also chose carefully the Countries on which he quoted the aid figures for again all Muslim. Seemed to be 'bigging up' the fact 'his' Labour Government were happy to give aid money to Muslim nations possibly implying this was at the expense of others.

On that point I will add that the video is clearly heavily edited and that the minister (as was) is clearly addressing some Muslim conference or other and has tailored his speech to suit that fact.....

A pure gift though for the knuckle dragger's nevertheless...

So from what he said we gave India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Palestine (4 nations) over a £Billion pounds.
The period of time this was over was uncertain nor is the date of this speech

Who knows if it was a joke but he did highlight the fact that Muslim MP's had increased in every Parliament since 1997.

But if 3% of the UK are Muslims then we should be looking at over 15 MPs really.

So from what he said we gave India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Palestine (4 nations) over a £Billion pounds.

Possibly I can understand giving Bangladesh money for disaster relief, but the other 3?

I stand by my earlier comments that international aid should only be given aid if they are buying British goods.

I'm fairly certain that not long ago the Indians clearly stated they didn't give two hoots about our aid money nor did they need it and yet, we still give them it.

Why not use foreign aid as essentially bribery?

"Hi there, is that the Indian Prime Minister? We hear you are in the market for some new fighter jets/tanks/ships? Now, about that aid we promised you......"

I've always thought this is the real reason for providing aid to India, a bung to help along business deals.

I'm against the current system, but I'm not against aid if used strategically to further our interests.

I'd support a system where we identify the uk's needs (e.g. where we get key resources from and where our trade routes pass) and focus the money on keeping those countries stable or developing them to benefit our economy.

At the moment, our aid system is just enforced charity

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

At the moment, our aid system is just enforced charity

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

To countries that often do not deserve it. Colombia, Chile & Turkey have all been recipeints of UK government aid.

From the Telegraph earlier this year:

Where the money goes:

Department for Culture Media and Sport

Program to make PE lessons more “meaningful and exciting” in 20 countries including Malaysia, South Africa, Brazil and Turkey, following London 2012 Olympics.

Cost: £8.35m over four years

Department of Energy and Climate Change

Program to reduce “greenhouse gas emissions from cattle ranching” in Colombia.

Cost: £15m over four years

Department of Energy and Climate Change

Renewable energy and low-carbon transport projects in Chile, India, Nigeria and Turkey.

Cost: £75m.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Britain contributes to Europeaid, the EU’s aid program. Projects including equipping border guards in Belarus, a dictatorship, and funding a waterpark in Morocco.

Cost: £1bn a year

Department for International Development

Yegna, a girlband dubbed the Ethiopian ‘Spice Girls’, is intended to empower teenage girls through song.

Cost: £3.8m a year.

Department for International Development

Trademark Southern Africa, intended to boost commerce, was swiftly shut down by Mrs Greening after watchdog found officials earning more than £100,000 and cash being administered by Zimbabwean regime.

Cost: £100m.

ACAB

LE
To countries that often do not deserve it. Colombia, Chile & Turkey have all been recipeints of UK government aid.

From the Telegraph earlier this year:
Absolute staggering waste of taxpayers money! :x

Oh, and not forgetting the Ferris Wheel at Lash Kagar. Which genius thought that one up?

Latest Threads