Ford Motor Company - Is the Corporate decline inevitable?

Last edited:
Rust to be fair was an across the board problem during the times...no wonder a lot of "snow belt" older cars are values less compared to ones from sunny states.
US market is completely different though. In the North, you pretty much have to have AWD, if not proper 4x4. In the south, you don't really want AWD or 4x4 because it imposes cost, complexity and something else to break, which you rarely need. Bit like whole-home AC in northern Europe.

So you get better specced vehicles in the north, and better-preserved vehicles in the south. I doubt you could find a wide range of 2wd trucks on any dealer lot in the north, whereas you're struggling to find 4x4s in the south. My last Ram had a 500-mile trip from the dealer lot so I could get the spec I wanted. They're just not nearly as common in the South. But don't get salted to death in the winter as you say.

US market is completely different though. In the North, you pretty much have to have AWD, if not proper 4x4. In the south, you don't really want AWD or 4x4 because it imposes cost, complexity and something else to break, which you rarely need. Bit like whole-home AC in northern Europe.
I didn't. I owned a Focus SVT (FWD) and a Mustang (RWD) - just changed to snows in the winter and was good to go. Never had an issue even in deep snow. The snow tires make all the difference.

Yes, you might need a truck depending on your needs and whatever you're doing, but my lil Focus did fine in heavy Michigan winters with a lot of snow around.

Tuff-Kote Dinol was another. Must have been made out of salt. I had a 7 year old Mini that was treated with the stuff when new. By the time I got the car, it was rotten as a pear.

Meanwhile, Polestar, now the fully incorporated subsidiary/ brand of Volvo is about to open up a new plant in Chengdu, China, close to its owners Geely.

Nice looking buildings...reminds me a bit of McLaren in Woking.

And it's dead in North America. Long being expected to happen.

Tuff-Kote Dinol was another. Must have been made out of salt. I had a 7 year old Mini that was treated with the stuff when new. By the time I got the car, it was rotten as a pear.
never heard of it. I waxoiled the P5 and I still have the container which I can refil

Dinitrol is the name they use now.

An interesting piece, though my personal opinion is they will survive based on the perceived premium-ness..

Haven't read this thread for a while. Has anyone found any evidence that Fords aren't shite or pointless yet?
No , as if?
I did make between £1000 and £2000 a year with the wife's cars,
Me?never

Another one of American icons is going Hybrid with a potential EV model to follow.

Just like the 'Stang Mach E.

All the conventional old timers must be shouting "blasphemy!"

Another one of American icons is going Hybrid with a potential EV model to follow.

Just like the 'Stang Mach E.

All the conventional old timers must be shouting "blasphemy!"
What time is it in Melbourne/Sydney/Perth/Woolamaloo/Earls Court?

Latest Threads