Ford Motor Company - Is the Corporate decline inevitable?

Meanwhile the Fiat Panda scores a big fat zero on Euro NCAP. Not surprising as it’s old. But from the same FCA stable, the new Jeep Wrangler scored an epic 1.
It's OK, their core demographics don't care about safety. FCA vehicles usually never really performed that great in safety over the years.

Meanwhile the Fiat Panda scores a big fat zero on Euro NCAP. Not surprising as it’s old. But from the same FCA stable, the new Jeep Wrangler scored an epic 1.
Published by: Claire Evans, WHAT CAR? magazine, on 05 December 2018.

What are the safest cars on sale today?

We take a look at the cars that have earned five stars on Euro NCAP's safety tests since 2013; if you're buying a new car, you need to see this first...

The latest set of crash test results from Euro NCAP highlights how quickly the safety technology on new cars has moved on.

The safety organisation has retested the latest version of the Fiat Panda, a car that gained four stars when it was originally tested in 2011. However, its rating for 2018 is zero stars. That makes it one of only two cars to get no stars at all in the tests; the other was the Fiat Punto, which was retested in 2017.

fbf453284edd6853f33bf8bc2067bd03f0cc0366.jpg

https://www.whatcar.com/…/what-are-the-safest-cars-o…/n3387…

Editorial from Autocar describing exactly what the OP is identified. GM have withdrawn from Europe. Ford to follow?

So what happens when America falls out of love with trucks?

Analysis: how General Motors plans to survive | Autocar
Published by Krzysztof Wozniak, CARSALES.COM, on 05 December 2018.

US car sales analysis November 2018 – brands.

True to form, the US market followed a month of growth with a decline, as sales fell by 0.5% compared to November 2018. However, the fall was not nearly as bad as it could have been, and was in fact the most modest monthly decline recorded so far in 2018. A decline is a decline, though, and November’s decline brought the YTD growth to 0.4%, down from 0.6% in October and 1.4% in August. Still, as long as the market does not decline by more than 3.0% in December, it should finish 2018 in the black, setting yet another annual sales record.

Highlights:

Five out of the Top 10 brands registered positive sales growth this month, down from six in October.
The Top 5 did not have a great month, with only Chevrolet potentially seeing its sales rise (according to our estimates).

While the decline was bad for Honda, which lost 11.6% in sales, it was much worse for Nissan, whose sales were 21.6% lower than last year, pushing the carmakers YTD sales further to 7.9%.

By comparison, FCA brands Jeep and Ram had a great November, the latter especially seeing its sales rise by 43.5% to a new monthly record of 57,970, matching its best-ever ranking of 7th, recorded just last month.

2019-ram-1500-006-1.jpg

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-analysis-november-201…/

Published by: Luke Wilkinson, AUTOEXPRESS, on 05 December 2018.

Volkswagen to produce (introduce!!), last generation of combustion engines in 2026.

Volkswagen will produce its final range of fossil-fuel engines in 2026, with plans to shift its focus to fully-electric vehicles

Volkswagen has given its clearest time-frame yet on its plans to switch to pure-electric vehicles by announcing that it will introduce its final generation of combustion engine platform in 2026.

The German brand’s chief of strategy, Michael Jost, told an industry conference at VW’s headquarters, “In the year 2026 will be the last product start on a combustion engine platform.” That year would tally with the rough launch date of the Mk9 Golf, based upon the Mk8’s likely arrival in 2019 and the usual seven-year model cycle.

If VW were to introduce its last combustion engine-based platform in 2026, it could conceivably produce cars on it for at least a further decade. But it would be unlikely to last until 2040 - beyond which point VW’s cars would be all electrically driven.

1544096221145.png

Volkswagen to produce last generation of combustion engines in 2026

Editorial from Autocar describing exactly what the OP is identified. GM have withdrawn from Europe. Ford to follow?

So what happens when America falls out of love with trucks?

Analysis: how General Motors plans to survive | Autocar
GM leaving Europe by selling Opel was a big moment. Tells you how far low it has fallen in profitability for main stream brands. China has been the big anchor for GM lately, and will continue to be, where Cadillac and Buick enjoy good sales. Buick would be dead by now, easily, if it wasn't for China.

GM got a lot of good engineering out of Opel over the years, bringing some of the European refinement to its cars.

Published by: Steve Walker, and Alex Ingram, AUTOEXPRESS, on 05 December 2018.

New Land Rover Defender due in 2020: full details and new spy shots.

The new Land Rover Defender is spotted testing again, with a 2020 release date and a likely starting price of £40k

The all-new Land Rover Defender edges ever closer to production, and these latest spy images taken outside of Land Rover’s Gaydon HQ give us our clearest view yet.

Despite the heavy disguise, it appears that the latest take on the iconic 4x4 will steer in a more modern styling direction than Mercedes’s approach to the new G-Class. However, the upright windscreen and flat side windows suggest that the car’s boxy proportions remain.

We’ve spotted both a short wheelbase ‘90’ model (a shortened Range Rover Sport mule on new Defender running gear) and a long-wheelbase ‘110’ in the testing phase, and on the road the latter of the two looks vast - similar in stature to the current Discovery.

landrover_001.jpg

New Land Rover Defender due in 2020: full details and new spy shots

I really can't see how Ford will survive in the UK. I think they will disappear (along with Vauxhall and perhaps Citroen/Renault/Peugeot).

If you want a cheap car, go Kia.
If you want a bang for buck car, go VW/Skoda
If you care about the badge, buy an Audi/BMW/Merc/Jag/LR
If you've had a lobotomy, buy a Dacia

Ford offers none of this. Badly made cars that aren't cheap and have no badge appeal. I really can't think of any reason to buy one.

As someone said, possibly in this thread "he is confusing status with quality".
That’s it in a nutshell.

Many moons ago, early nineties, we had a guest speaker at a conference themed on quality. He was Victor Gauntlet, owner of Aston Martin.

He opened by asking “who wants an Aston Martin”. Everyone put their hand up. Next question was “who thinks Aston Martins are high quality cars”. Everyone put their hand up.

He then went on to explain how he had a roadmap to improve AM quality. The threshold was to make it as good as Ford’s. The plan was to make it as good as VW. The target was to make it as good as Honda, a task he thought would not be achievable inside 15 years.

At the end of his talk he asked “who wants an Aston”. Everyone still put their hand up.

There will be an awful lot of Ford staff members driving these as "job cars", because no-one sensible would choose this over the comparatively priced opposition.
I wonder why they don't just put a Lincoln badge on it.

Dan Prosser's credibility as a motoring journalist just went right out the window when he stated Land Rover were a premium manufacturer ........ a quick glance at reliability surveys and warranty costs would show him they are anything but premium .
What's that got to do with anything?

Which of the following is a premium brand? Aston Martin, Toyota.

There will be an awful lot of Ford staff members driving these as "job cars", because no-one sensible would choose this over the comparatively priced opposition.
I wonder why they don't just put a Lincoln badge on it . . . .
Because in the UK - and the rest of Europe - “Lincoln” has (even) less resonance, significance, than “Vignale” :( .

Just as GM has consistently been unable to establish “Cadillac” as a “World” brand . . . all the evidence is that Ford is equally unable to grasp - let alone understand and develop/exploit - the nuances, characteristics that define a vehicle associated with a luxury, quality, marque/make/manufacturer.

I wonder why they don't just put a Lincoln badge on it.

What's that got to do with anything?

Which of the following is a premium brand? Aston Martin, Toyota.
I think there is a bit of confusion over Premium Brand and Premium Manufacturer ...........

Toyota on the whole are a premium manufacturer producing dull but reliable vehicles nowadays and running very quickly away from what has been a major part of the brand worldwide the Landcruiser because it has a large diesel engine ......certainly in the UK they don't even import a proper 4x4

Aston Martin and JLR have a premium brand but manufacture unreliable not well engineered vehicles that are purchased in the 100's by those who buy into the brand and either have a second car or can afford to change them before the warranty expires .......they are most certainly not premium manufacturers .

Aston Martin and JLR have a premium brand but manufacture unreliable not well engineered vehicles that are purchased in the 100's by those who buy into the brand and either have a second car or can afford to change them before the warranty expires .......they are most certainly not premium manufacturers .

My Jaguar XF is almost 9 years old and has never had a single issue. The only time a mechanic has ever been near it is to service it or fit tyres
My Land Rover Discovery TD5 is 17 years old, in daily use and I seldom go near it with a spanner. When I do it is usually to modify it in some way.

Sometimes the crap about JLR reliability is just that, crap.
No different to any other motor, their reliability is directly proportional to the timely and correct servicing it recieves.

But you are partly right, I drive a Jaguar and have a 2nd car, its a Land Rover
I've prety much had both Jaguar's and Land Rovers together for 25 years.

My first Jaguar was actually a 1976 Daimler Sovereign. I loved it, I wish I still had it. It was grade one fooking awesome. In its day it was pretty quick, exceptionally refined and capable of utter hooliganism. But build quality wasn't great but it was pretty old and abused long before I bought it. I would still buy it again tomorrow.

It started a very long love affair for me that continues to this day. Times have changed and they are built a lot better these days. When I bought my XF 5 years ago it was a lot of money and not one single minute have a I regreted buying it. I had orgianlly planned to replace it after 4 years. Now I plan on keeping it a couple more. I would happily set off for Constantinople in it without a second thought in the full expectation of doing nothing but put fuel in it.
I've put 70 thousands on it and enjoyed every last mile of it. The only car I have ever had to rival it was a 1990 Jaguar XJ12 which was stunningly good and jaw droppingly gorgeous bit shockingly expensive to run

Jaguar not a premium brand? My arse. You can shove your Toyota's where the sun don't shine. I'll keep my Jaguar thank you.

I think there is a bit of confusion over Premium Brand and Premium Manufacturer ...........

Toyota on the whole are a premium manufacturer producing dull but reliable vehicles nowadays and running very quickly away from what has been a major part of the brand worldwide the Landcruiser because it has a large diesel engine ......certainly in the UK they don't even import a proper 4x4

That would be the Toyota who has to be forced to recall 9M vehicles for brake and / or accelerator pedal failures that caused multiple serious accidents. Or maybe the Toyota that has to recall 4M cars fitted with faulty airbags by manufactured by their Takata subsidiary and sold to other brands.

Premium manufacturer my Arrse. Get into a top spec Landcruiser and you’ll find the same steering wheel as in a Hiace van, switchgear familiar to a Corolla owner, a smattering of shiny plastic fake wood and some leather. Even a Lexus has recognisable parts bin components. Then step into any JLR product and tell me it’s not premium.

The idea that JLR cars are poorly engineered is laughable; aluminium structures, the Ingenium engines and control systems are seriously well engineered. They lag the best Germans on the displays but not much

I’m with @jagman on reliability. It’s pretty much on a par with all of the others.

I’m pretty sure you’ve never been in an Aston.......

I think that the confusion is entirely down to your making up your own definitions.

Jaguar and Land Rovers are generally considered to be premium brands/manufacturers/cars/whatever, Toyotas are not. Toyota is a mass-market manufacturer that builds its cars well. Lexus is a premium manufacturer that builds its cars well.

Because in the UK - and the rest of Europe - “Lincoln” has (even) less resonance, significance, than “Vignale” :(
Quite aside from the fact that a completely unknown brand would have more cachet than Ford in many cases, around most people in Europe if you say "Lincoln" they think "Navigator", AKA what all of the rappers and footballers drive. Given the likely market for a semi-premium SUV I think it could well be a good marketing angle.

[
That would be the Toyota who has to be forced to recall 9M vehicles for brake and / or accelerator pedal failures that caused multiple serious accidents. Or maybe the Toyota that has to recall 4M cars fitted with faulty airbags by manufactured by their Takata subsidiary and sold to other brands.

Premium manufacturer my Arrse. Get into a top spec Landcruiser and you’ll find the same steering wheel as in a Hiace van, switchgear familiar to a Corolla owner, a smattering of shiny plastic fake wood and some leather. Even a Lexus has recognisable parts bin components. Then step into any JLR product and tell me it’s not premium.

The idea that JLR cars are poorly engineered is laughable; aluminium structures, the Ingenium engines and control systems are seriously well engineered. They lag the best Germans on the displays but not much

I’m with @jagman on reliability. It’s pretty much on a par with all of the others.

I’m pretty sure you’ve never been in an Aston.......
You are right about Toyota in some ways but still confuse premium with looking flash ,
The Landcruiser is still the 4x4 of choice in harsh environments where death can result if it breaks down......I don't care if the steering wheel is from a Hiace and switch gear from a Corolla ........both won't fail because a computer has a hissy fit , the new 200 series has electrical gremlins same as JLR .

I don't own a Range Rover and have no wish too ........but one friend owns 2 of the latest one's ...........both are beset with random electrical faults that the dealer can't cure .......his phone is full of pictures of error messages that the dealer requests taken in a vain effort to find out whats going on , also issues with boot locks and screens. Bear in mind one car is 5 months old and the other a little over a year , both have issues with false alarm messages , one has had a fuel pipe split , both have had software "upgrades" that were actually to do with how easy it was to hack them . He is a typical RR customer and likes the comfort and interior , neither car will be kept once the warranty runs out.
As for engines......Riccardo have had a nice little earner trying to sort the engine issues caused by the V6 being originally designed by a French company as a transverse FWD unit so consequently has stupidly narrow big end and crankshaft journals .

Been in several Aston's and while they looked a million dollars and sounded awesome as they were V12's, the ride was not good and after 18 months if you lifted the bonnet of one of them that spent some of it's life not cosseted in a garage the alloy on the alternator and inlet manifolds was corroding badly , it also was prone to electrical issues ..........both the owners wife and my wife thought the best thing about them was the pen that came out the dash when you pushed it .

Bentley Continental GT ? If you have ever spent any time driving one of them then you probably have a bad back because the pedals are offset from the steering wheel .........it certainly gave me a bad back .

Mercedes do Premium with the previous model SL 's both the AMG 55 and 63 Black proved reliable and comfortable over many miles and as daily drivers .

Nowadays I can't afford a new Merc SL or Range Rover, BMW etc but don't think I would buy one either .
Premium is all about marketing and branding JLR to their credit are masters at this .

The fact is if you speak to anyone in the Main Dealer network nowadays they are all struggling to recruit Technicians or retain those they do have because all the tech in modern vehicles is often beyond even the manufacturer to diagnose and repair when it goes wrong........cutting edge tech is not always the answer and most modern vehicles are built with a life in mind and cleverly engineered to just about achieve it , which brings us back to the Ford Eco Blow up engine .