Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ford Iveco 4.2 diesel... good engine?

There's a 1988/89 Ford Iveco 4.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel horsebox for sale with 167k miles on it.

1. Is this a good, reliable, robust engine/bad engine?

2. Is it a good 5 speed/not good 5 speed manual box?

3. Can thay really achieve 20mpg? (approx. 5 ton)

4. Are the Ford Ivecos generally rust buckets or OK?

5. Any other info. about this stuff?

Thanks in advance,

PL

Fcuk the 4.2 off then. I'll change the thread.

Anyone have any experience with the VW derived MAN 8.136 (= 8 ton payload and 136 bhp) and it's 5.7 litre non turbo diesel? There's one I fancy for sale. A beautiful beast.

Thanks in advance,

PL

Although this is the "Motoring" forum, the amount of civilian LGV enthusiasts on a military oriented site is fairly limited. :roll:

Have a google for some petrol (or diesel, in this case) head forums, there will be plenty of advice out there.

We've an ex Post Office Iveco (but non HGV). The engine is rock solid, rough but stubbornly insists on working with the very least of effort. Typically seen with a bubbling bonnet and wheel arches dissappearing as you watch it, the important stuff seems to go on and on. We had it welded to get it through inspection and patched up some of the more severe rust spots but it pulls REALLY well.

Not exactly the model you were enquiring on, but I hopefully have saved you the ignomany of posting more comments than you received! :D

The Iveco`s are generally fairly bullet proof as far as powerplants and drive trains are concerned, cabs can rust but not as much as the older Cargos. MPG depends how you drive it, stick around 55 and it`ll give 20, hammer the guts out of it and it`ll drop to 15 mpg.
Same goes for the MAN really although the cabs don`t rot to the same extent.

The MAN's are acracking little wagon, go very well but a little heavier on fuel than the Iveco.
Iveco's do tend to turn to rust pretty quickly.
You'd need to be reasonably gentle on the right foot to get 20mpg out of either of them.
Go for the MAN if you are driving it yourself, a far more pleasant piece of kit.