Ford Iveco 4.2 diesel... good engine?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by PandaLOVE, Jan 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's a 1988/89 Ford Iveco 4.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel horsebox for sale with 167k miles on it.

1. Is this a good, reliable, robust engine/bad engine?

2. Is it a good 5 speed/not good 5 speed manual box?

3. Can thay really achieve 20mpg? (approx. 5 ton)

4. Are the Ford Ivecos generally rust buckets or OK?

5. Any other info. about this stuff?

Thanks in advance,

2. How about you Ex Stab?

3. Fcuk the 4.2 off then. I'll change the thread.

Anyone have any experience with the VW derived MAN 8.136 (= 8 ton payload and 136 bhp) and it's 5.7 litre non turbo diesel? There's one I fancy for sale. A beautiful beast.

Thanks in advance,

4. Hate to point this out but you appear to be talking to yourself on the internet ;)
  5. Until you came along! Talk to me, don't go...... :cry:
  6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Although this is the "Motoring" forum, the amount of civilian LGV enthusiasts on a military oriented site is fairly limited. :roll:

Have a google for some petrol (or diesel, in this case) head forums, there will be plenty of advice out there.
  7. Thank you Fugly. Good point.
  8. Speak to Jarrod, though I dont think he goes that big fnaar fnaar
  9. We've an ex Post Office Iveco (but non HGV). The engine is rock solid, rough but stubbornly insists on working with the very least of effort. Typically seen with a bubbling bonnet and wheel arches dissappearing as you watch it, the important stuff seems to go on and on. We had it welded to get it through inspection and patched up some of the more severe rust spots but it pulls REALLY well.

Not exactly the model you were enquiring on, but I hopefully have saved you the ignomany of posting more comments than you received! :D
  10. Now I have.

You're welcome
  11. The Iveco`s are generally fairly bullet proof as far as powerplants and drive trains are concerned, cabs can rust but not as much as the older Cargos. MPG depends how you drive it, stick around 55 and it`ll give 20, hammer the guts out of it and it`ll drop to 15 mpg.
    Same goes for the MAN really although the cabs don`t rot to the same extent.
  12. The MAN's are acracking little wagon, go very well but a little heavier on fuel than the Iveco.
    Iveco's do tend to turn to rust pretty quickly.
    You'd need to be reasonably gentle on the right foot to get 20mpg out of either of them.
    Go for the MAN if you are driving it yourself, a far more pleasant piece of kit.