Forces under 18 - C4 News

Entirely untrue. I'm trying to canvas opinions. I'm fully aware that the large majority of the Forces who joined before 18 have no regrets...otherwise they'd not be there!
If they did join before they were 18 and did have regrets they could leave right up to the age of 18. So where has this story came from that they couldnt? Has a soldier said that he couldnt?

It's almost as if they want to ensure that the rotten society and rotten education system can absolutely fill young people's heads up with crap values and dodgy standards, so that all adult entrants are pretty much compromised. Whereas if we get young soldiers in while there's a chance, we can turn them into the sort of people who make a beneficial difference in society...
Hear Hear Cuddles. There should be lots of Foundation Colleges, not just Harrogate and there should be no compulsion for them to sign on once they reach 18, they may wish to continue or go out into the big wide world. How many would the cost of 10 Typhoons fund?

Having joined at 16 in the last intake of JLR's in 91 have had no regrets the others who diecided they didnt want to do it got a letter from their parents and were gone sharpish. Out of around 30 of us who started out in the intake in our troop 25 of us passed out what does that tell you?

Is not as if the recruiters hang around schools stick them in a uniform and send them off to fight they will not be sent overseas or on Op's if they are under 18.

Still would be interesting to see if these "campigners" send money to Africa and how much of it gets creamed off for weapons and child soldiers maybe should spend time loooking at that than trying to block young people trying to make a better life for themselves.

Again, thanks for the feedback, but I'll reiterate that these are not my opinions, but the campaigners. I'm trying to glean the other side of thh story

I thought that, regardless of age, you can leave within 28 days and 3 months anyway.

Didn't I read somewhere in the last year that the liberal campaigners are asking for the age of majority to be lowered to 16?

If that is he case then surely they must accept that servicepersons could be asked to go and fight from that age also? It goes along with the rights vs responsibilities argument.

If the lily-livered left wing handwringers think that someone is old enough to be to given the right vote, drink and raise a family at 16, then he/she can join up and serve the country to the point of the ultimate sacrifice.

Entirely untrue. I'm trying to canvas opinions. I'm fully aware that the large majority of the Forces who joined before 18 have no regrets...otherwise they'd not be there!
i hope that's true.

it just sounds like you (aswell as everybody else behind this project) have already made up your mind how you want to present it, and will cherry pick the info to fit the story. far too many journalists do that.

"army persuades 16 yearr old KIDS to sign a contract they're stuck with for 6 years which is likely to kill them / destroy their future"

sells better than:

"most 16 year olds who sign up for the army do well for themselves in the future"

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
And this is news worthy because????????????????????????

Again, thanks for the feedback, but I'll reiterate that these are not my opinions, but the campaigners. I'm trying to glean the other side of thh story
Well basically you seem to have a bunch of campaigners moaning about something that doesnt exist. Maybe you could correct them and they could get back to campaigning against students cuts/the forest sell off/alternative voting or whatever bandwagon they want to jump on this week.
Very little of what you have said (From the campaigners) is true and the bit that is, there are reasons for it. So I don't think you can make much of a story from it.

I joined at 16, passed out for JLR RAC at 17 yr 9 months, did my trade training and was out to my Regiment in Germany 3 months before I was 18.

What did amuse me was some Septic MP stagging on with me at the Munster-Nord site late 80's. He was surprised and shocked to find out I wasn't 18. Him armed like Rambo and me armed with a Jap sniper helmet and a SMG, and we were tactically watching three German civilians dig a hole :wink:, I asked him what exactly he could do that I couldn't? After a few moments he said "Drink alcohol!" I said, "You're having a ******* laugh mate, I'm in the Cavalry!" :cool:

Best thing I ever did. (Join up at 16, not answer nonce questions from dumb Septics!)

Is there a story? In any organisation you are going to get people who feel agreived for one reason or another. How are you going to present this?

In an earlier post you mentioned something about soldiers deployed on ops who began their careers at 16 as being more likely to be injured. Please could you provide these stats so we can comment on them.

In my experience injuries on ops have more to do with luck and wrong place at wrong time type stuff than age of entry into the army.

Is there a story or a pressure group in the background who could fill 6 mins of airtime?

Johnny,

Can you give us chapter and verse on military personnel contacting the media? Have you approached the MOD press office? Have you published Channel 4's policy for dealing with Under 18's? Have you approached this sites admins about using their website for this?

If you cannot answer yes to any of these questions, I suggest you double away and get it sorted. Otherwise you look like a journo grubbing around for a story with no regard for the organisation and individuals you are attempting to portray.

Shiny

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
As others have said, there is an absolute right of discharge (DAOR) before the age of 18, though they are expected to stick out the first 4 weeks. This is to get over initial home-sickness.

The other side of the coin is that those joining at 16 do almost a full year of Phase 1 training before going on top Phase 2 and then joining their units. This includes alot of basic skills education. Soldiers doing this training have historically stayed in the Army longer and got promoted earlier. A high proportion of Sgts' Mess members (relative to the size of the intake cohort) started as junior soldiers. Here's one of the locations:

AFC Harrogate - British Army Website

You may find this useful:

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/AFCH_IAP_report_2009_2010.pdf

In an earlier post you mentioned something about soldiers deployed on ops who began their careers at 16 as being more likely to be injured. Please could you provide these stats so we can comment on them.

In my experience injuries on ops have more to do with luck and wrong place at wrong time type stuff than age of entry into the army.
He is probably right but its got more to do with the fact that there are alot more 18 year old private soldiers than there are 33 year old private soldiers.

ches

LE
Well basically you seem to have a bunch of campaigners moaning about something that doesnt exist. Maybe you could correct them and they could get back to campaigning against students cuts/the forest sell off/alternative voting or whatever bandwagon they want to jump on this week.
Very little of what you have said (From the campaigners) is true and the bit that is, there are reasons for it. So I don't think you can make much of a story from it.
What he said.

It would be better if all the feedback you have gained here be checked yourself to show said information is correct, as we know it is. It would be nice if that confirmation be then passed on to these 'campaigners' & the situtation clarified for their benefit. I'm sure with the price of diesel these days they don't want their outrage bus POL'ed & ticking over when they are quite obviously campaigning out of their hat & no under 18's are being subjected to the whims of the nasty man in green...& brown....& whatever other colours we are cutting about it with this new fangled MTP stuff.

He is probably right but its got more to do with the fact that there are alot more 18 year old private soldiers than there are 33 year old private soldiers.
Very true - there are not that many over 33 on the ground so skewing the ave age injury wise. But as others have said everyone has the same training and OPTAG before hand so deploy regardless of age with the required level of Op readiness.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I joined at 15 1/2 into JLR RAC best thing I ever did, I only have to look at the mongs that I went to school with to prove my point

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Somebody on here will be more up to date than I am, but the average age of the Field Army is about 25. On operations it will be slightly younger.

Johnny, who are these 'campaigners' you speak of?

Are they this bunch of . .err . .liberals?

Country Page [Coalition to stop the use of Child Soldiers]

News Release - Quakers push for recruitment age to be raised | Quakers in Britain

Joined up thinking?

Coalition UK Page said:
A recruit enlisting at 16 loses the right to leave the army after just six months. After that they must serve until they are at least 22 years old and can be posted to the frontline in Afghanistan or Iraq as soon as they turn 18.
and . .

Coalition Report said:
In 2010 the UK government continued to recruit children1 into the armed forces in large numbers. As of 1 April 2010, 3,510 children were training or serving in the British armed forces.2 The UK has the lowest recruitment age in Europe, and is one of fewer than 20 countries in the world which recruit from the age of 16 years.
This practice contravenes the spirit of the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict (OPAC)3 and is inconsistent with UK law which grants special protection to children and young people.
So they admit we don't send them out to hostile theatre's yet are happy to chirp on about 'armed conflict'

And if the top quote is incorrect regarding release should someone in authority put them in the picture?

I joined as a boy soldier at 15 in 1971. Joined a rifle battalion in 1973 and left at the age of twenty one in 1977 so I served two years as a boy soldier and four and a half years in a battalion. Got married and came out of the mob. I'm fifty five now. I've had an interesting and you wouldn't believe how extremely varied career and although I've never made much money as such, I've always earned a living and been good at whatever I have done. I put that down to my start at an early age in the army.

Latest Threads