Forces under 18 - C4 News

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by johnnymcdevitt, Mar 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a journalist at Channel 4 News, looking at the Armed Forces bill, specifically at campaigners trying to get the minimum age someone can register with the Forces up from 16 to 18. We've got a lot of facts and figures about how those who sign up before they're 18 fare in the Forces, but need some testimony.
    If anyone is interested in giving me their two cents' worth, do get in contact.

If you want your identity protected, that is not a problem. ...
  2. Do these campaigners say why they want the age raised?
  3. They say that the UK is the only country in the EU to recruit U-18s, one of only a few in the UN. They talk about the nukber of U18s who sign up, want to drop out, but can't, and the high percentage of those who have signed up and are either seriously wounded or killed when they eventually go on tour (compared with those who join later). There is also a comparitivley high rate of AWOL desertion amongst U18s.
  4. Apparently they want even more people to be unemployed. And then get in to the cycle of watching jezza and claiming benefits, rather than getting a career and being usefull from the age of 16.
  5. I think the key issue for the campaigners is that U18s, who are arguably not old enough to make an fully informed decision, cannot leave for 5-6 years after signing up. They talk about an alternative of keeping U18s recruitment but implementing an absolute right to leave up until they're 18.
  6. What a ridiculous idea. Instead of giving them a purpose in life, are they advocating they leave them languishing in civi street with plenty of opportunity to be led astray. More of the liberal bullshit i suppose.
  7. All Junior Entrants have specific rights of discharge before their eighteenth Birthday. I believe the minimum term for Adult Entants is 4 years so where does your uninformed 5- 6 years comr from.

U18s may join a war fighting organisation, or even the RAF but it is not the same as being abducted by the Lords Resistance Army. They probably have less drugs and violence.

Sad to say Junior Soldiers probably make up the majority of carreer sioldiers and L:E Officers but I still hate them :)
  8. They can leave after four years which they agreed to in the contract they signed and everyone who makes the decision to join the forces is well informed on this. A 16 year old can make the decision wether to work for a living from leaving school or continue with their education, why then are they not responsible enough to decide to volunteer to join?
  9. You do realise that until their 18th Birthday they may leave straight away, then at the 18th Birthday point become like everyone else who sign's up to the Army and be incased in a Contract. Also they are gated to camp within certain hours, also need permission slips from their guardian to do certian things. Think you need to read the details of a U18 soldier first before sticking a oar in
  10. Having read some of the fine print of recruitment policy, I understand that U18s cannot leave straight away: they may ask permission, with is either granted or refused at the discretion of the CO.
  11. I, like many here joined at 16, mainly into the old junior leaders system. This was a full 12 months training and because of when the intake dates were set, many of us were just short of our 18th birthdays when we left to go onto trade/advanced training. Very few were still below the age of 18 once we'd arrived at our units, often 18 months after we started training. The junior soldier system took many who had either been failed by the education system or were living in areas where jobs and prospects were scarce, and the army took us in (of our own accord BTW), educated us, gave us motivation, confidence and a much brighter future than would have otherwise been available, and I'll bet few here ever regret their decision. I should also add there was ample time to chuck it in if we so chose. Many years down the line most of us are now out and doing far, far better than had we not joined and received the training and guidance that we had over the years. For some group of 'campaigners', none of who I'll bet have ever served or experienced a military life to dictate that this is 'wrong' is, to be frank, disgusting. I find it more worrisome that a whole generation have been sausage fed through an education system to pop out at the other end with next to useless qualifications, a narrow view of the 'real world' and a future working in the call centre industry with a debt of thousands hanging around their neck. And this is called acceptable by society. By the time I was 18 I had my car license, motorcycle licence and HGV 3 as well as a raft of education certificates that I hadn't even passed at school. All paid for by the army.
    Regrets about joining at 16? None. I now have my own company, a column in a leading IT magazine and get to travel the world because of it. And I'm not alone, as I'm sure quite a few ARRSE members will be able to tell you their stories. Still, I could not have joined and still be mooching around my hometown in a menial job and thinking that £10 on the gee-gees on a Saturday afternoon was the highlight of my week, and if that’s what they are campaigning for I for one will oppose it.
  12. I started the ball rolling on the selection process as soon as I was 16, but don't intend on starting until I finish college next year. So I'm part way through selection now.
  13. What is your point? What are you trying to prove?

14. Wot he ^ said
  15. None of that rings true with me. I joined up at 17. Hated every minute of the first five weeks and would have jacked if I had had the chance. Roll on twenty years and the Army saw fit to give me a commission. As a result I have had a life, and enjoy a lifestyle, the other poor bastards on the sink estate where I grew up can only dream about.

Looking back at what I was as a teenager, if these "campaigners" had had their way I would at best now be a benefit statistic and at worst detained at HM's pleasure. And, no, I would not want to take part in a programme that gives this sort of bollox any credibility.