Forces Pension

HI all,

I need a second opinion on an AFCS war pension appeal where I have been advised by RBL that I should not proceed with it, but really would like somebody qualified to have a second look at it all.

Any guides as to where would be greatfully received

Kind regards

You don’t have to follow the RBL advice but as D’n’D has said, they are the experts. You can choose to continue with your appeal but TRBL may choose not to represent you at it. There is nothing to stop you representing yourself but it isn’t straightforward without experience.

Have you asked the RBL rep to have another look at it or to ask them to have another rep look at your case? What reason was given for their recommendation?

Many years back I had a tribunal hearing and the representative for me was from the RBL and he was was as much use as a chocolate teapot and may as well have not been there. TBF I had not seen, met or even spoke with him before the tribunal but he looked like he'd literally had the file thrust at him that morning and hadn't even read it. I basically represented myself and was successful in getting a proper award.

bearwall

Clanker
I had an appeal hearing about 10 years ago in London, RBL rep on the day advised me to pull out and resubmit as he knew the team and they were very aggressive, I left and resubmitted my claim and 5 months later got the increase plus back pay.

Y-R-A

Clanker
All depends on injuries and time scale, reports from medical Pro. PM me m8, I've been dealing with them 10 years plus but I'm far from professional but could point you in the right direction

Matelot Spy

Clanker
Could some of the enlightened veterans clarify a few points regarding pension increase at 55?

I left the Armed Forces January 2008 after 22 years and I am in receipt of AFPS75 immediate pension.

1. Do I receive the full CPI/RPI increase for the first year or (according to Equiniti) a percentage of.
ie. Annual increase April 2008 RPI 3.9% or approx (1/4 of 3.9%) assuming RPI.

2. Do I receive RPI increases for the years 2008, 2009 and 2010 before the change to CPI.

Equiniti do not give me confidence in their calculations as their first attempt was based on my pension after commutation.

Many thanks in advance.

Could some of the enlightened veterans clarify a few points regarding pension increase at 55?

I left the Armed Forces January 2008 after 22 years and I am in receipt of AFPS75 immediate pension.

1. Do I receive the full CPI/RPI increase for the first year or (according to Equiniti) a percentage of.
ie. Annual increase April 2008 RPI 3.9% or approx (1/4 of 3.9%) assuming RPI.

2. Do I receive RPI increases for the years 2008, 2009 and 2010 before the change to CPI.

Equiniti do not give me confidence in their calculations as their first attempt was based on my pension after commutation.

Many thanks in advance.
An interesting question and one I am also interested in the answer to.

I'm in the same situation having left the RN in Feb 2009 although I didn't commute my pension.

Matelot Spy

Clanker
An interesting question and one I am also interested in the answer to.

I'm in the same situation having left the RN in Feb 2009 although I didn't commute my pension.

Found the answer to my questions posted by the Forces Pension Society in the following thread.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/pension-increases-–-how-do-they-work.297057/

You receive a proportion of the increase in the first year if you left after April and the increases were RPI until 2010.

I believe Equiniti use a multiplier from the Treasury public service pension increase tables depending on when your pension began. The current tables are located here:

Public service pensions increase: 2019

Last edited: