Featured Forces Pension Society Introduced

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by Forces Pension Society, Jan 21, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the year following our 70th birthday the Forces Pension Society stands alone – hugely respected, pre-eminent and unchallenged in our knowledge Armed Forces pensions. Pensions are our business, and no-one knows the service pensions world like we do; for 70 years we have been helping our Members with their queries about the pensions they receive and the pensions they are likely to receive in the future. We deal with thousands of such enquiries every year and the Society is told time and time again that it understands this world like no one else, and that the advice it gives is unique – clear, accurate, independent and confidential.

Because we deal with pensions all the time, we are able to spot cases which have not been dealt with properly, or where the rules are being applied unfairly; and we take these up with the Ministry of Defence. We have successfully lobbied the MoD on a number of issues, sometimes behind-the-scenes and sometimes in public. We were very successful in 2015 in leading the campaign to change the rules about payment of pensions to widows who remarry. We remain constantly watchful and ready to intervene where we see injustice or unfairness.

As well as pension help we offer other services to Members – we have very good and exclusive partnerships with providers of insurance, money transfers, financial advice, travel and other services. These arrangements have been negotiated with our providers to meet the needs of our Members: the partnerships are long-standing and have been endorsed by very positive response from our Members over the years. These offers are very popular: we strive constantly to add to them, but we will only do this where we are sure that what we are offering meets our Members’ very high standards.

Our Members also receive our magazine and e-newsletters, both very popular and much discussed, which offer information on pensions as well as features of more general interest.

All of this is proving very attractive and our membership is growing steadily every month: last year it grew by about 3,000 and now stands close to 50,000. The growth in membership has allowed us to reinvest and grow the services we provide. As we are frequently told: “what a great service. I wish I had found out about the Society before; but thank goodness I have done so now.”

As General Secretary, it is such a privilege to head up the Forces Pension Society – we are an organisation that brings certainty and confidence to a perplexing world, and which has proved and will continue to prove helpful to its Members and to the Armed Forces community more widely. Long may we continue to grow.

John Pitt-Brooke
    General Secretary
    Forces Pension Society

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I served 3 years in AAS Arborfield, then 8 years in REME , UK, Singapore and Hong Kong.
    Am now 74 , Any pensions available ?

3. What were your years of service?

4. So, 11 yrs service. Were they continuous and over the age of 18? Did you served beyond 1 April1975 (when preserved pensions were introduced)?

If the answer to each is yes, it is a possibility that you did earn a preserved pension and you should download an AFPS Form 8, complete it and send it to the address on the form.

Good luck.

5. From his figures he was born in 1943; as he would have been an apprentice until he was 18 and entered mans service in 1961 where he served for 11 years, he will have left in or around 1972. If I have my figures correct then he wouldn't have qualified because he didn't complete 22 years and AFPS 75 wasn't yet in place.

7. Just like my reply above, it all depends on whether you served beyond the magic 1975 date and, if dun_n_dusted is right in his career profile for apprentices (which I am sure his is), the chances are you didn't, I'm afraid.