Forces Pension poll

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by kennys-go-nad, Aug 26, 2005.

?
  1. Yes I will, its a good deal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way. Im better Off with the Old Pension

75.0%
  3. Don't know, still very confused by the information so far

8.3%
  4. What information?

16.7%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is still much debate on the forums on the pros and cons of the new Pension scheme. Not sure if this has been done before and apologies if it has, but how about a poll to see from the Arrse community what pension is more favoured at this present time.

2. I'm staying with the 'old' pension.

Why? Because it credits my prior soldier service; I have enormous amounts of personal insurance (life and death benefits) and some other bits and pieces.

If I were still an NCO, I would also have elected to remain on the 'old' pension, as I believe there is no way that I would have gone all the way through to WO1, then commissioned, then reached the rank of Lt Col - which seems to be the only way to actually 'improve' your lot with the new one.

That said, my personal circumstances also played a key role in my decision - Mrs Doctrinus is also serving; also possess masses of insurance etc etc, and as Paymaster points out on the other pension thread, you do need to balance and evaluate all these things in the round.

Edited to add: And I'm staying in until I'm 55 at least, so some of the more 'obvious' attractions do not appeal to me.

3. Thats interesting as I thought that if you were staying on til 55 you would be better off with the new one as it works off actual pay not representative pay. Cannot get onto Armynet as I logged on ages ago and cannot remember thwe answers I gave !! it says I do noty exist and when I try to log in again it says I have already done so.

Grateful for your thoughts.

4. Any change to terms of service is never likely to be better...

They must think we are stupid!

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

The online pension calculator is the key. As with all of these new schemes there are winners and losers, and you need to do a lot of research before making electing which way to go.

6. I say again....What Pension???

KGN...perhaps you could add a voting button saying "No pension offered, as I'm a worthless STAB!"

7. I am sorry that you are not getting a pension. It must irk you no end.
    If you want one please sign up properly and not on an occasional basis.
    Normally part time implies regular weekly work of use to the company. Is your part time service of this nature or just a weekend of free paintball type adventure?

I am sure you have fora where you can get all cross about the pension that you do not get so please go there so that we who are going to get some sort of pension can discuss this in a sensible manner without your red herrings.

Goos lord I got cross. I do not do that as a rule --- it was quite exciting. Must try it again.

8. [Bite]

I would like to know what you consider to be a "Red Herring".

I am not cross at all, as I have a very comfortable pension building up with the "full time" company that I work for. I will not give you any clues as to who that is. However, European legislation gave rights to part-time employees, for pro-rata holiday, and pro-rata pensions. In a recent court ruling the TA were classed as "Casual Labour" therefore not eligible for pro-rata holiday pay or pension.

However, my point in the original post, is that there is now an admission that the TA can qualify for holiday pay during non-operational work after serving 117 days in the financial year.

So why does this not also extend to Pension contributions for the same qualifying period?

My query is actually on behalf of several of my crew who have exceeded such limits, yet seem to get rebuffed readilly by our permanent admin officer. I was interrested to get some details from the horses mouth (sorry paymaster....I am putting you into the equine category)

Now then...to address your other rather misconceived childish comments.....

I presume that as you are old enough to spell reasonably well, you are old enough to have been to far flung lands on Operational duties. I defy you to tell me that amongst your battlegroup (or whatever you serve in) you did not have a single TA soldier serving with you. During my times abroad, I had roughly a 50/50 split in my detachment of Regular/TA, and actually found the TA soldiers more reactive to orders, discipline and education in their task at hand. The Regular soldiers had an "ARAB" attitude for about a week, until they realised that their TA counterparts were far more knowledgable in matters of IT, the outside world, relationships, (and Poker....but that was another story ;) )

I appreciate that the Army has moved on to the 21st century...kicking and screaming, so that the lads and lasses actually know how to set up a Hotmail account to keep in touch.......but that wasn't always the case only five years ago (Kosovo let's say) where having VOLUNTEERED to help my country, I found myself teaching the aforementioned boys and girls how to do so, on the network that I had set up for them. Things have moved on and these days, in many operational bases, an IT room is as commonplace as the old scratch-card phone systems.

I am sure that in the TA, just as in the Regular army, there are those who just want a "paintball" adventure......only when they join the regular army, you discover that they are such a pain in the arrse that they disrupt everything and everyone in order to seek attention. however, in the TA, they tend to just fizzle out of sight once they realise that they are not going to get it.

As for getting cross about something that doesn't even concern you, apart from having a more level playing field for the regular/TA outfit, where the ARAB's do not see fit to take exception to the STAB's that have helped you acheive your operational strength, try and tell me that the TA is not a valid part of the British Army.

[/Bite]

MD 8)

9. Neigh problem. Perhaps your points would be better put in the TA forum where the could be an interesting debate on:

If TA rates of pay are based on Regular pay minus the X factor AND Regular pay is set by the AFPBR, who set the pay and reduce it (currently by 7%) to take into consideration the AFPS. Then effectively it might be argued that the TA are paying for a pension that they are not receiving.

Edited for finger trouble

10. :lol: That's be another answer I was looking for.

Moving threads....but will keep it in this forum.....us TA don't have TA paymasters....being British Army and all..... ;)

11. I got cross because you mentioned it over on another thread. If everytime a regular wants to discuss his pension you pipe up with 'I don't get one' it will be very tedious.

As for which army I am in, I am in the same one as you. I have just committed to it properly. I fail to understand why, if you like it so much and you are all so good, you do not go the whole hog and join you will obviously put us all to shame and outstrip us on the promotion stakes. I can see why you are considered casual labour because the majority only turn up when the feel like it. My most recent experience of the TA is a young collegue of mine who although totally committed to the TA and full of ARAB quotes is forever bemoaning the fact that he cannot rely on people to turn up. That is casual labour to me.

My other experiences of TA are very good but there is always this moan that they are not paid enough. None of us are. But at least you can have another job!

Please if you want to get noisy about your non existant pension set up a thread where you can and leave us with our Army pension queries alone in this thread

12. I got cross because you mentioned it over on another thread. If everytime a regular wants to discuss his pension you pipe up with 'I don't get one' it will be very tedious.

As for which army I am in, I am in the same one as you. I have just committed to it properly. I fail to understand why, if you like it so much and you are all so good, you do not go the whole hog and join you will obviously put us all to shame and outstrip us on the promotion stakes. I can see why you are considered casual labour because the majority only turn up when the feel like it. My most recent experience of the TA is a young collegue of mine who although totally committed to the TA and full of ARAB quotes is forever bemoaning the fact that he cannot rely on people to turn up. That is casual labour to me.

My other experiences of TA are very good but there is always this moan that they are not paid enough. None of us are. But at least you can have another job!

Please if you want to get noisy about your non existant pension set up a thread where you can and leave us with our Army pension queries alone in this thread

13. Got so cross I sent it twice. Obviously need a STAB to sort my machine/brain out for me!!!?!

14. There is something a bit iffy about that pension calculator.

The graph for the AFPS 75 pension shows a nice big lump sum and then a flat line payment until the end. This is of course not correct.

At age 55 the pension will increase up to the index linked rate.

I know they can't predict what the cost of living rate is going to be in 15 years time but they don't even mention it on the page anywhere. It fact they say that your pension will stay the same for ever, which is blatently not true.

15. Well done Micky_Dees for sensibly taking the hint and quite rightly starting a separate TA pensions thread.

STAB v ARAB banter is fine, but this (changes in Reg Pensions) is important stuff, as are many of the TA-specific threads (not a reference to sewing Brit flag on the sleeve :lol: ).

/pompous