Forces mum wins postage battle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by macman3, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. er, she did it all by herself did she?

Free Postage Walt?!
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. Determined WALT of the highest order!!
  4. And you did.....?

Well done, Tina, and all those others who didn't get their names in the papers.
  5. I signed the petition..

I suspect higher forces deserve more credit here, not to take any away from her for her activities but it's a bit rich methinks??
  6. A Walt is someone who talks the talk, but hasn't walked the walk. Tina was a local organiser, ergo got involved, ergo not a Walt.

What's the matter? Don't you want people like her on your side?
  7. I think the fact she's come on here to big herself up as the reason for the free postage is somewhat, er, strange...
  8. From the very start it was always going to be extended after a trial. Especially since the CGS had put pressure on them.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

10. A Bingley mum has won her campaign for British troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan to receive free post.

An open-ended deal to provide the service was yesterday announced by the Royal Mail and the Ministry of Defence.

It has come after years of campaigning and lobbying of the Government by Karen Webster whose son Nicky served with the Desert Rats in Iraq in 2003.
  11. Ah. So you think that Tina is macman3? If she is, then you may have a point. But it would be the same argument that ex-soldiers only wear medals on their blazers to "big" themselves up.

If, on the other hand, she isn't, then you're being a bit nasty about it. It's an article in a local paper about a local person. It's a local interest story and shows that the Peterlee press has some interest in the welfare of the Forces. My local rag didn't mention free postage, presumably indicating that they couldn't care a toss.
  12. "mac mam", make your own conclusions..

edit; ah balls time for an eye test :roll:
  13. From the very start? There was free postage to Iraq in 2003, but it stopped in 2004. As for CGS pressure, even the lowliest civvy postman outranks him. This victory was achieved by an attack on conscience, organised by "non-combatants."
  14. I refuse to believe that one woman made us get free postage for the rest of the time we're out there. Utter rollocks.