Forces mum wins postage battle

Mongoose said:
er, she did it all by herself did she?

Free Postage Walt?!
And you did.....?

Well done, Tina, and all those others who didn't get their names in the papers.

I signed the petition..

I suspect higher forces deserve more credit here, not to take any away from her for her activities but it's a bit rich methinks??

Nightrained said:
Determined WALT of the highest order!!
A Walt is someone who talks the talk, but hasn't walked the walk. Tina was a local organiser, ergo got involved, ergo not a Walt.

What's the matter? Don't you want people like her on your side?

putteesinmyhands said:
Nightrained said:
A Walt is someone who talks the talk, but hasn't walked the walk. Tina was a local organiser, ergo got involved, ergo not a Walt.

From the very start it was always going to be extended after a trial. Especially since the CGS had put pressure on them.

oldbaldy

LE
A Bingley mum has won her campaign for British troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan to receive free post.

An open-ended deal to provide the service was yesterday announced by the Royal Mail and the Ministry of Defence.

It has come after years of campaigning and lobbying of the Government by Karen Webster whose son Nicky served with the Desert Rats in Iraq in 2003.

Mongoose said:
I think the fact she's come on here to big herself up as the reason for the free postage is somewhat, er, strange...
Ah. So you think that Tina is macman3? If she is, then you may have a point. But it would be the same argument that ex-soldiers only wear medals on their blazers to "big" themselves up.

If, on the other hand, she isn't, then you're being a bit nasty about it. It's an article in a local paper about a local person. It's a local interest story and shows that the Peterlee press has some interest in the welfare of the Forces. My local rag didn't mention free postage, presumably indicating that they couldn't care a toss.

Nightrained said:
putteesinmyhands said:
Nightrained said:

From the very start it was always going to be extended after a trial. Especially since the CGS had put pressure on them.
From the very start? There was free postage to Iraq in 2003, but it stopped in 2004. As for CGS pressure, even the lowliest civvy postman outranks him. This victory was achieved by an attack on conscience, organised by "non-combatants."

Must admit i did email Alan Leighton @ Royal Mail and say keep the free parcels going, and in the current climate it would be very good for PR as well!

Regards

lowliest civvy postman.

Nightrained said:
I refuse to believe that one woman made us get free postage for the rest of the time we're out there. Utter rollocks.
From the links posted so far, it appears that one woman enlisted the help of 14 other people, who then enlisted the help of others.

If just one of these organisers had not bothered, the pressure on Royal Mail would have been correspondingly reduced and, who knows, the campaign may have faltered.

Rather than have a go at them for being featured in their local papers, why not give them a vote of thanks?

Unless, of course, you're Billy No-mates who doesn't get any mail or you've just left home and don't give a toss that someone else is footing the bill to send you your goodies.

I'm not on the receiving end, nor do I currently have any mates out there, but I'm glad to express my gratitude to those who organised the campaign and those who contributed. And, if they get their piccies in the papers, perhaps it will encourage more people to help with the next campaign.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....75.0.karens_christmas_surprise_for_troops.php

Karen’s Christmas surprise for troops

By Jenny Loweth
Comment | Read Comments (1)

Karen Webster, left, with Kat Hammond, centre, and Becky Pritchard with presents
A mother and her team of helpers are busy packing up to 5,000 Christmas parcels for British troops serving overseas.

Karen Webster, of Bingley, is still celebrating after winning her campaign last week for British armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan to receive free post.

Mrs Webster spent the weekend packing hundreds of parcels to be sent off between now and early December.

This is the fifth year she has run her parcel appeal and she has been overwhelmed by support since she launched this year's campaign in September.

She says the tragic toll of lives lost in Afghanistan and Iraq over recent months had prompted a surge of public support. September was the worst month since the start of British involvement in Afghanistan, with seven killed.

The most recent fatality was Captain John McDermid, of The Royal Highland Fusiliers, who was killed last week while leading a joint UK-Afghan patrol south of Sengin in the Helmand province.

advertisement
Mrs Webster's parcel workshops on Saturday and Sunday came just days after the Royal Mail and the Ministry of Defence announced an open-ended deal to provide the free postal service.

It came after years of campaigning by Mrs Webster, whose son, Nicky, served with the Desert Rats in Iraq in 2003. Mrs Webster, a mother of three, set up Support Our Soldiers (SOS) in 2003 to encourage and provide support for troops.

Every Christmas since then, she and her team of volunteers have packed and sent off parcels to British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Troops in Cyprus, The Falklands, Bosnia and elsewhere overseas are also sent packages. Mrs Webster asks people to donate £5 to pay for the contents of a parcel or to pack one themselves. Contributors enclose their own greeting card with a seasonal message.

Last year, SOS sent 2,500 parcels, but this year support has been overwhelming and the number could double. Two more workshops are being held next weekend at Mrs Webster's home, "I am delighted but also under a great deal of pressure as well," she said.

Anyone wanting to know more can log on to: www.supportoursoldiers. co.uk.

9:27pm Sunday 18th November 2007
Good on her!!

Nightrained said:
I refuse to believe that one woman made us get free postage for the rest of the time we're out there. Utter rollocks.
Oh zip it you gobby crow. Stop acting like you're the only one who's ever been deployed. The girl did some graft, along with others, to ensure you got your free haribo's.

After reading that T&A write up she can big herself up as much as she wants. What a great job and service she is doing. Keep up the good work Karen and your mates.

P.S. Are you 3 busy this weekend