Forces Inquests.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by H3, Feb 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. H3

H3 LE

This was sent onto me by a Bootneck pal so please consider as I think this is Deplorable , I've signed.

Extract from petition :

Families of HM Forces are denied automatic legal aid for Inquests into their deaths, soldiers and airforce personnel are being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan yet their families are having to pay thousands of pounds for their inquest. This is deporable and pathetic of this Government

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ForcesLegalAid/

Telegraph Coverage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/11/niraq11.xml

2. So have I.

3. I've just signed this petition too, as well as e-mailing it to everybody I know.

What an absolutely disgraceful state of affairs!

MsG

PS. Maybe this should be made a sticky, so that lots more can sign.

4. Signed (84 signatures so far)

5. Can somebody help me out on this, because I'm clearly missing the point. Why do families need legal representation at the Inquest - other than in pursuance of a potential legal claim against the taxpayer? If this is the case, is it right for taxpayers to fund claims against themselves? Paying incidental costs for families to attend Inquests would be understandable - but why do they need lawyers when the Coroner is independent? I am not convinced that I want my taxes to pay for the likes of Phil Shiner to pursue crusades.

If this is about interpretation or getting answers, then does it need the naturally adverserial skils of lawyers to do this?

I'm not trying to be controversial, I am just trying to understand what the real issue is at stake here.

I would most welcome comment from those that, I know, have had direct experience of this issue, if you feel able to.

6. H3

H3 LE

Ok have e-mailed the Petition Creator asking for more info so wait out .

7. I am writing in response to a post about the lawyers being at Inquest`s i have just had the Inquest for my son and i had a solicitor who i paid for not because i want money from the MOD but because i wanted answers which you can`t get i have been asking for eighteen month how my son was killed and no answers so don`t think that we all want to get money from our son`s deaths some of us just want the truth hope fully you will not have to go through this so don`t judge us until you know the facts

8. H3

H3 LE

9. Dilfor, I am slightly surprised at your comments on this subject. 18 months after my son died I am still waiting for full disclosure of all information. An expert witness was involved in my son's case, the coroner did not even know this, the MOD had not released that information to him, I had to advise him of this.

How can we expect a fair, honest and truthful system when we are led up blind alleys for years by the MOD?

Money has bugger all to do with this matter, it is insulting to the parents, wifes etc who find ourselves in this situation, to make such a suggestion. This is not our motives, we hope that by getting all the facts and information available, hopefully it will prevent any future deaths, and that lessons are learnt.

The fact that we have to do this at our own expense is no surprise to me. I have had nothing from the MOD, furthermore I expect and want nothing.

I think if some of you realised just how shabbily we are treated you would feel as enraged as we do.

10. H3

H3 LE

Hopefully more folk will sign and this will help proceedings in gaining Aid from the Civil Purse to cover costs as the Parents are not looking for hand outs or monetary gain from the MOD - Whithall, quite frankly as a Tax payer they should never be placed in this position.

Our thoughts do go out to you parents and we will never know or feel what you have been subjected too.

146 so far

11. Re representation at Inquests.
    MOD are involved in all service inquests and know all the ins and outs of procedures. If there is something they do not wish to have openly explored, they know just how to avoid doing this. The Inquest may well be the only means a family has of asking questions - bear in mind they may know nothing of service procedures and customs and the death of a loved one is not properly explained. If the family has someone who can ask the questions they seek in a manner that the Coroner understands and supports, they are far more likely to achieve resolution from the process.
    The representative does not need to be legally qualified although that would be the ideal. It might be something that could be included in CVO duties.
    I regret that I have experience where the Army has got off lightly at Inquest because no one was asking those few extra questions. I can cite a case where things went the other way. A major shot himself because he felt that he was unsuited to command troops in NI after a spell on Staff. His suicide would have barred any insurance payment to a young wife and two kids. A good solicitor was able to sow enough doubt in the minds of the Coroner, sitting with a jury, that the verdict was accidental death and insurance was paid. It did help that the jury was all ex-B Specials.

12. Soldiersmum

I apologise for any offence caused - it was certainly not intended. Thank you for your clarification; it has been very helpful in me understanding the view from your side of the fence - I have only seen the other side.

Dilfor

13. H3

H3 LE

Bump .... getting close to the bottom of the page.