Forces Hunting

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Obelix, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there many in HM Armed Forces who's be interested in hunting antelope in South Africa?

My good friend is a qualified Professional Hunter based over there, and is licenced to take groups out on hunting excursions into the bush. He is able to supply appropriate rifles, and give instruction where necessary.

He is able to organise taxidermists (mounting of heads and skins), but tries to encourage shooting for the pot rather. For those unable to take the meat & biltong back, it is donated to local disadvantaged people.

If there seems to be much enthusiasm for this, I'll take things further and try organise an trip.
  2. There lies your answer.

Or at least from me.
  3. I'm not sure about this, but we are not allowed to bring into the country the skins or heads of wild animals, nor their meat - even if it is biltong
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ignore Sven if your chap is licensed then he will have access to the correct CITES permits. Biltong can be brought in subject to declerations of personal consumption hence a limit. Thanks for the offer, I'm sure lads back from an overseas tour flush with beer tokens are the ideal audience. I looked at doing a similar trip for my 40th not long ago. We ended up in Canada instead. I do a similar job here so I will send UK stalkers your way if you are interested? Pm me for details.
  5. Ugly

I advert You to The Defra Site, especially question 13

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok that was the info I got from a south african who brought back personal supplies for his own consumption, packaged in country completely legally. This is to stop the unlicensed bush meat import from dodgy countries. This saffer has his own import business bringing in Biltong etc and selling it quite legally. The products he brings for personal consumption are from the same source and he tries them at home before ordering them.
    How would we be able to buy new zealand lamb unless it was importable. The worst thing about the catch all laws is that they dont man the customs desks and if you use the freephone to tell them you are bringing boar in from france they have a response time of at least 3 hours.
    I have brought back through customs cheese from germany quite legally and it was checked. These laws are to stop Nigerians etc bringing in monkey haunches or whatever the mucky sods love!
    If you read all of the questions then you can have the meat checked through and as long as it meets the hygene rules and I believe RSA has similar regs which are compliant and you have the paperwork then its not a problem. Hence the comments on declerations and consumption limits!
    If you read my post I dont advocate ignoring or breaking any laws, as a law abiding shooter that is the last thing I would do. I do however advocate ignoring you!
  7. No problem bringing in a small backpack full of biltong last time. I asked a customs chap on the way out just to be on the safe side and was given the ok. Getting it vacuum packed is a good idea.
  8. Since I provided the Defra guidlines on this and You have provided anacdotes, I suggest that it is Your advice that should be ignored. The rules are not there just for bushmeat, it is for the personal importation of ALL meat. Commercial importation of meat has lots of hoops to jump through in order to be succesful.

By all means show me the rules which confirm Your case.
  9. I was thinking about organising a hunting trip in the North of Ethiopia, apparently quite a lot of civil servants is looking to get stuffed there.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Read my post again:
    At no point have I recommended breaking the law. Many friends bring back biltong declared or otherwise classed as personal consumption. I believe that with a proper licensed hunting outfitters they would do all of this for you for a fee. There is no need to break the law and if perhaps the Customs lads and ladies are applying common sense then about time too!
    If you have nothing positive to post when people are offering advice or seeking help then shut the fcuk up you raincloud on lifes horizon!
  11. Thanks for the replies.

I've never really gone into much depth, but those Defra guidelines say

It's possible, given that customs officials have allowed the meat in, that South African biltong & venison is one of the permitted territories. Will check with Defra myself. I've been bringing biltong in for years now, usually vacuum-packed. Never had even the slightest hassle.

I will go into this in greater depth once I'm actually able to get this thing up and running, which won't be for some time. I'm going into the navy as a clearance diver, and have that small distraction of training to get through first :pirat:
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Best of luck mucker, My Late father in law did that for many years!
  13. Now that is a dangerous job! Best of luck for the training and your career.
  14. Heard the training's pretty tough. I'll try minimise the danger by not being a cowboy, but I think things have progressed to the point where the guys are so well trained and professional about the work, that there are very few incidents.

Re the hunting, this same buddy of mine has also recently bought a deep-sea fishing boat. So I'd probably be able to offer packages, combining hunting and game-fish fishing (marlin, barracuda, tuna, kingfish, etc). Possibly even scuba diving, but I'm unsure how insurance companies will look at my diving quals, as I think they want registered PADI / NAUI instructors and dive masters.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nothing to stop you doing that in your spare time once you have qualified. A mate got his Padua quals whilst holding down a shift job!