Forces Housing - the e-petition

The response to the e-petition has just dropped into my inbox!

The Government acknowledges the important contribution made by Her Majesty's Armed Forces in defending the United Kingdom's national interests and recognises their commitment and professionalism in the service of the country, both at home and abroad.

The Government is aware that there is widespread concern that the local connection provision in the housing legislation may be making it more difficult for service personnel and those leaving the armed forces to access social housing. The Secretary of State for Communities, Ruth Kelly, has launched a debate about the future role of social housing in England which, amongst other things, will be looking at issues around access to social housing. The issue of local connection for members of the armed forces will be considered as an important part of this work.

The Government is doing all we can to assist Service personnel into affordable home ownership during their career. We announced last year that Service personnel would have priority access to our New Build HomeBuy programme (previously known as shared ownership) alongside other key workers. This allows eligible individuals to buy a newly built home, paying a minimum 25 per cent of the price and a reduced rent on the remaining cost of the home. By allowing service personnel priority access to low cost home ownership while they are serving, we hope to be able to avert housing problems for them later on down the line in addition to addressing recruitment and retention issues in the Armed Forces.

The Ministry of Defence provides assistance and support in several ways to help personnel in their transition to civilian life. It has set up the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO), which offers advice and guidance in sourcing accommodation, both while in Service and after leaving the Armed Forces.
I take it that there will not be any change in the near future!

What worries me now is that Tony I mean Gordon now has my email address!

Litotes

I just got the same e-mail.

The Ministry of Defence provides assistance and support in several ways to help personnel in their transition to civilian life. It has set up the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO), which offers advice and guidance in sourcing accommodation, both while in Service and after leaving the Armed Forces.
Hang on, hasn't the JSHAO been going for yonks?

Dale the snail said:

Has anyone got a telephone number or email address of these people please. Pretty please if it Dale who responds

The_IRON said:
Dale the snail said:

Has anyone got a telephone number or email address of these people please. Pretty please if it Dale who responds
Ding Dang Doo

Crikey, I'm on the ball tonight.

Dale the snail said:
The_IRON said:
Dale the snail said:

Ding Dang Doo

Crikey, I'm on the ball tonight.
Cheers mate, Ill rub all that writing off the mess toilet wall about you now. :boogie:

The fact is they aren't amending the Legislation, they are forcing under paid service personnel to get a mortgage. the JSHAO has been going since 1997 I believe. The idea of the JSHAO was good but is now out dated and stagnant.

When do MP's actually listen to the electorate...never! The only way to get through the brain matter of MP's is to NOT vote for them at the next election folks simple as that.

I take a more cheerful view. It is not so long ago that the very existence of the so-called "social housing discrimination" problem was being questioned on this website. Now, as a result of the petition and other campaigning, even the Government has acknowledged the problem:
The Government is aware that there is widespread concern that the local connection provision in the housing legislation may be making it more difficult for service personnel and those leaving the armed forces to access social housing. The Secretary of State for Communities, Ruth Kelly, has launched a debate about the future role of social housing in England which, amongst other things, will be looking at issues around access to social housing. The issue of local connection for members of the armed forces will be considered as an important part of this work...
In the real, imperfect world of public affairs, extracting such a statement from Government is a huge step forward for campaigners. Instead of wailing "politicians never listen anyway", those who understand the issue need to work even harder now. The British Armed Forces Federation (BAFF) will be taking further steps in the near future.

Recent Rum Ration post, on a similar theme.

Litotes said:
The response to the e-petition has just dropped into my inbox!

The Government acknowledges the important contribution made by Her Majesty's Armed Forces in defending the United Kingdom's national interests and recognises their commitment and professionalism in the service of the country, both at home and abroad.

The Government is aware that there is widespread concern that the local connection provision in the housing legislation may be making it more difficult for service personnel and those leaving the armed forces to access social housing. The Secretary of State for Communities, Ruth Kelly, has launched a debate about the future role of social housing in England which, amongst other things, will be looking at issues around access to social housing. The issue of local connection for members of the armed forces will be considered as an important part of this work.

The Government is doing all we can to assist Service personnel into affordable home ownership during their career. We announced last year that Service personnel would have priority access to our New Build HomeBuy programme (previously known as shared ownership) alongside other key workers. This allows eligible individuals to buy a newly built home, paying a minimum 25 per cent of the price and a reduced rent on the remaining cost of the home. By allowing service personnel priority access to low cost home ownership while they are serving, we hope to be able to avert housing problems for them later on down the line in addition to addressing recruitment and retention issues in the Armed Forces.

I take it that there will not be any change in the near future!

What worries me now is that Tony I mean Gordon now has my email address!
Litotes
Just be grateful that he hasn't got your bank details & PIN number.