Forces Discount Cards - do you carry one and which one(s) do you prefer?

MightyBigEgo

War Hero
You don’t have to buy gift cards as a gift, you can buy it and use it
The discount on the card becomes some free money

I use the DDS for the reloadable discounted Tesco giftcard...then use it for fuel...saves me a fortune.[/QUOTE]

FYI. Just found out today that Tesco no longer accepts the reloadable card for fuel.

They could also stop employing buffoons.

Birchanger Services. Junction 8. M11 last week.

Me. 'Afternoon, can I just have a piece of fish please? No chips.'

HR. 'Fish only comes with chips.'

Me. 'Well how about cooking the fish, but not the chips?'

Me. 'Aye, I hear you, is it a maths thing? I see your large fish and chips cost £8.99 and your large chips cost £1.99, How about just cooking the fish, no chips for £7?'

Me. 'So if I order a large portion of fish and chips at £8.99 and immediately put the chips in that bin over there, you'd be happy? Is that your policy? It's just a waste of food.'

HR. Fish only comes with chips.'

Me. 'Can I have a word with the manager?'

HR. 'I am the manager.'

Which pretty much told me all I need to know about Harry Ramsden's.
they were obviously taught by my SQMS who ran the sticky bar in Iraq as follows:

Me: hey staff, can I get a coke please.
SMQS: certainly, that's $1.
Me: thats a bit a steep, only $0.50 at the REME Bn.
SQMS: ah yes, but you get a free Mars Bar here.
Me: I don't want a free Mars Bar.
SQMS: still a dollar sir!

mrboo

LE
For the Defence Discout Card, I always check the offers before hitting Inverness,our nearest town that has worthwhile shops, but most of the offers are usually gift cards which s only any use if you are a spunktrumpet, but you sometimes find a gem, Harry Ramsdens is 30% off your meal which is pretty good if you like fish, which I do
After reading these posts I have a hankering for fish and chips unfortunately I live in Inverness and Harry Ramsdens shut down in 2016

After recommending Harvester and their discounts, I thought I'd update.
About a year ago they restricted the discount to lunches and evenings only ie not breakfast, now they don't honour the card at all. Nor the Blue Light card.

Its a pity because it was convenient. I shall now drive a little further to a carvery where they do a good service on breakfasts and lunches at a good price. :hungry:

First they came for the breakfasts, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for the lunches, and I did not speak out.....................

;)

I thought you can use the Apple employees scheme at Apple, some deals can save you hundreds on their top end stuff, we bought 2 apple watches saved us dosh... but im wondering now if the Blue Light Card is better during the covid pandemic as all the emergency services are heroes to the majority and the likes of supermarkets and some open shops offer them discount, for NHS they ask for their NHS emails now more than their id cards, i suppose there was a bit of loaning them out.. the Blue light card works there but the DDC doesn't have the same power...

Shopping, clothes go to Jules 20% ... 50% often given by Byron's burgers, but then they are 60% dearer than McDs.. Trolling around these large shopping centres gets you some good deals, but you do need to look, especially online deals..

bealine

Clanker
I have both Blue Light and DDS and, although similar, there are subtle differences. Our local Garden Centre "Dobbies" gives 10% on Blue Light but not DDS.

Chuffed to bits. Leased an Audi A3 through Motorfinity using the DDS for £236 a month including full maintenance (tyres as well). Bargain................

I use the Defence Discount card frequently, saved loads with it. As I'm into my weight training they usually have 50% off discount codes for MyProtein which are worth having, I've probably saved around £150 in the last 12 months using that.

I have both Blue Light and DDS and, although similar, there are subtle differences. Our local Garden Centre "Dobbies" gives 10% on Blue Light but not DDS.

Chuffed to bits. Leased an Audi A3 through Motorfinity using the DDS for £236 a month including full maintenance (tyres as well). Bargain................
I believe KFC recognises DDS but not Blue Light.

shamrock

Old-Salt
I paid a fiver about 5 years ago for the dds. Used it weekly for the first year. Krispy kreme for 20%. A few times at the cinema. Then lost interest. Last visit to KK was a long time ago. And they only gave 10% off, so I boycotted them since. I went into Halfords last week and the sales man said "haven't seen that card in years. We stopped accepting them" it's all on the app, so I'm told. Dinosaur me.

I got 10% discount off a decent dashcam and satnav for my son's car using my card at Halfords. He recently updated his car so he gave me his old dashcam as he wanted a new one for his car. The gits no longer give you discount on technology items.

I get quite a decent discount using DDS at the local Wacky Whorehouse, sorry warehouse, shame it's only for the fodder and not ale. They don't give a discount for the ball pool though, which is a good thing otherwise I may find myself Yewtree'd.

Seriously though, I don't think I've used it to it's full capability yet. Laughing Gas is currently trawling the website to see which ones we could use to their full extent.

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt
At what stage can you apply for these cards, do you have to be fully through all your training and working in your army job role? Or just be classed as attested?

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt

A mate was looking at new Audi prices and iirc the card he had knocked a good few grand off the asking prices on their website

Latest Threads