Forces Charities etc in the US/Australia/Canada

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by jack-daniels, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There I was at the SSAFA 10k in Aldershot on Sunday and looking at the amount of people that turned out to raise money for the cause and it got me thinking. Do troops in other countries rely so heavily on charites like SSAFA, RBL, Help for Heroes, Blesma etc or do their countries provide for all their needs? Not just wounded troops but all those who have served.
    I remember going into a Veterans of Foreign Wars club in Florida which was a bit like the Legion bars over here but don't know if they have the same sort of back up support like over here.
    I think I probably know the answer to this already in that they probably don't need it as their Govts provide all for them, maybe wrong though. The amount of people that ask me when I'm raising money for various charities 'why don't the Govt provide it' is astounding.
    Your comments?
    Cheers folks from wherever.

2. In Australia the Returned Serviceman's League does a bit. But its main effort for individuals is helping them get their entitlements from the Government. Most local clubs have their part time volunteer Pensions Officers and Welfare Officers who are trained under RSL auspices to do this work. The Department of Veterans Affairs also has a fairly generous budget allocation and many/most of its staff are ex-services.

3. And Legacy was set up to assist the dependents of deceased Australian servicemen. Established by ex-servicemen in 1923.

4. Poppy appeal and it's lacklustre at best, fortunately we can get British poppies across here and the cash goes to the RBL.

The Canadians have the Terry Fox run every year (10KM), although this isn't specific to raising money for armed forces charity, none of the Canadians bothered to run in it on the two occasions i have. They have a stinking attitude to this type of thing.

5. That surprises me about the Canadians as I was always told that they were all for their blokes etc. Maybe the Canadian Airborne thing a few years back tarnished the image!

6. Maybe its just here then. It is like an elephants graveyard - stiil find their community spirit appaling though.

7. Dingerr: There is to name a few, the Soldier On, The Sapper McTeague Wounded Warriors Fund, Red Friday, The CDS Military family fund.. there are also foundations being set up by Paul Franklin to help amputees as well as the War Amps...Organizations such as the CAV (Veteran's Motorcycle Club) have raised over 3 million bucks to various Forces charities. The RCL has the poppy appeal which is their main source of fundraising.

To quote our CDS:

“When our families call out for help, we must be able to answer that call immediately and substantially,” said Gen. Hillier. “Our families have been here for us through our enrollment, our training, our deployments, and our homecomings. The military life places significant demands on our loved ones. They did not volunteer for service – but serve they do, and with great distinction. It is our turn to be there for our families.”

http://www.dnd.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2234

There is also CFPSA, SISIP and VAC to assist serving and retired members.

Terry Fox Run is fund raising for cancer victims, very specific audience and participants.